i30 Owners Club

Knocking

PeeJay36 · 76 · 18211

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
I may be stoopid but any ideas how to attach photos anyone? I am pretty good with cars.....rubbish with computers!!! :lol:

Not attached photos myself, but I think you need this tutorial below.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3803.0.html

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Sorry for the confusion,I have a post discussing my bumper colour differences, I agree most cars have parts not coated well underneath, it just seems they have rusted earlier than my other cars.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... any ideas how to attach photos anyone? I am pretty good with cars.....rubbish with computers!!! :lol:

Have a ganders here

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3803.0.html

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
thanks starseeker/shambles I have used this to post pictures in post titled paint on bumpers (1+2) I will try to get better shots of rust in the daylight (camera from my phone=pants)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I had a knock in the rear left occasionally over bumps, turned out to be the towbar moving in its 'slot'.  If you have a towbar, try removing the 'tongue' or removing the safety shackles - just a thought, took me a while to work it out - could have sworn it was a suspension problem but it wasnt!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good tip LD (and if it is that it only takes a thin sliver of plastic such as the hook from a plastic pen top to stop the rattle...)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I used a cut up pushbike tyre tube to insulate it on my car. 

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi, thanks for the tip...... I have no tow bar.

Wendel
Have you ever checked the rear shocks ?

They have a protection device to keep dust and debris away. On my car one of them has come loose, resulting in the same noise you describe:

This is how it should look:
http://www.hyundaiboard.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=979

And this is what it looks when its broken:
http://www.hyundaiboard.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=980

You can see them when you take a look just above the rear tire. This issue happens a lot right now in Germany. Seems to be caused by a very hard winter this year.

Wendel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Wendel... Thanks for that (have you had it fixed ok under warranty?)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi wendel, thanks for the heads up and pictures.I still await a call to say my car is ready so I may call them to tell them of your findings. If shocks are failing in Germany with the quality of roads you have there, they stand no chance here in the u.k! :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
That pic just shows a thin plastic boot around the shock, it doesn't show a broken shock. You can just push that boot back up in to place.

mvasseur
I noticed the exact same issue today, and tried to just push them in, but they pop back out after a short while. I think this is going to require some type of silicone or other adhesive.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I noticed the exact same issue today, and tried to just push them in, but they pop back out after a short while. I think this is going to require some type of silicone or other adhesive.

Interesting. On mine they push up and click in to place. have you tried using a small brush to clean up into the hole?

Wendel
Hi all

I also tried to push those Rubber things up. Depending on sand/debris in the seat they click on or they don´t.
But this is a more temporary fix. They tend to fall off again.

Here in Germany Hyundai dealers have 2 different ways to repair:

As long as the rubber tubings are OK ( not cracked or bent ) they glue them back in place using a 2component glue.

When the tubings are damaged they are exchanged.

I´ll know what my dealer is going to do when I take the car in next week.

Wendel

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Thanks Wendel, the noise is from where you said. 3 cars have the same problem in my garage so I am told. No parts in the u.k so I will get an email in approx 4 weeks when in stock.

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
In Poland, problem with loose rubber tubing (inside the corrugated tubing is rubber shock absorber)  in rear and front shock absorber is very popular and occur only Czech made I30.  Polish dalers have the same  ways to repair like described Wendel. On my car all 4 tubings has come loose. Front loose plastic corrugated tubing you can see after jack up, because car is down, the tubing will be crushed.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I noticed one of my rear dust tubes had fallen down on its own today. Not knocking, but I've pushed it up for now. It does seem loose compared to when i had the wheels off in January. Its a long time to first service, so I will just re-inforce the connections with black duct tape when I get a moment.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
 front and rear tubes knocking now, I dont think the Czech i30 is as robust as the Korean ones. Only my humble opinion though  :)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Well the plastic tubes aren't the same. it seems they made a slight mistake in the part, but the dealer should replace them under warranty OK. The replacement tubes currently come from Korea.

There aren't many differences between Korean and Czech i30's. Apart from the obvious small cosmetic changes, and the 1.6CRDi/U2 these tubes are different, the tyres, windscreen glass, the clutch plates, probably a few other bits here and there.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi Lorian, I am booked in to have these plastic bits changed, along with some other work,the parts are on back order and I have already waited weeks. The small differences between country of origin are no problem really. I wasnt in a rush to start with to get them replaced but the noise is begining to grate a little.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I dont recall if it wa back or front for you, but you can tape the rears as a temporary measure quite easily without taking the wheels off.

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi Lorian, thanks for the top tip, I will try to use some of my duct tape to try this temp fix on the back and front. I have plenty of time as I have to wait for the RAC, I was popping up to the sisters this morning to help her move in....... the little b%*@#r wont start!!!!!!!!!!!!
Begining to think I did something really evil in a past life  :lol:. Although it has got me out of moving sofas! :lol:

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
Use of tape for rear tubes is good temporary solution, but for front tubes will be a little problem with spring. Hmm...tape in new car :'( slip-up of Hyundai.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

It won't start? whats the symtoms?

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi, it was just turning over not firing. The rac guys are tops, really had a good look and checked as much as possible, just couldnt find  anything obvious. He finally got it started after nearly flattening the battery and then putting it on a booster thing. My local dealer only sells on a Saturday so I will book it in on Monday. Although the last time they couldnt find anything in a diagnostic check.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

PeeJay 36. Does it start from off now?

or have you left it running until Monday  :lol:

If yes, then a similar thing happened when I had my Accent.

Eventually got it started and when it was checked over at the HY garage it was a sensor causing an intermittent fault.

Hopefully yours is something similar and can be sorted ASAP.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi eye30,
it has started at least half a dozen times since the RAC guy left this morning.It has done this once before, unfortunately no fault was found when the garage completed a full diagnostic check. I have spent sometime this afternoon enquiring about its part exchange value as it may be time to move on, with the list of things it has to go back in to be put right, and with these starting problems I am not very comfortable now. I would have changed to a diesel in the happy returns deal but the cost of upgrading was far too much. Its a shame as the car has many good points as I have pointed out earlier, but I now must agree with my brother in law, the 1.4 (which on paper should be very good) is a bit of a let down.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If you are not getting much joy with your current garage try another if one is within easy travelling distance.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I will stick with my garage as I am some distance from another. It must be hard for them as until something actually fails faults can be difficult to find. It has stopped us from our usual trip to europe in May, but I suppose with having to find the extra cash if its to be replaced would stop the trip anyway.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal