i30 Owners Club

Wrong Fuel - dealer spin to customer.

mickd · 19 · 3552

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Got Santa's15k km service done last Thursday.  When collecting,  customers in front were discussing with service rep. their bill. Seems they put  $30 worth of Petrol in, realized,then had car towed to dealer.  $1060:00 in total.
"Oh ,but the tank was removed and had fuel shaken out ( shaking arms above head) ( me standing behind them looking at him shaking my head), the lines, filter , injectors,  engine and exhaust were all blown out ( me again shaking my head) it all  takes time. 6 hrs labour at $154 per hr, oh you've been charged at the old rate $143 per hr, there's  $60 saved. Now, because it's had Petrol in it, if there's any problems with the tank, pick up , pump, lines, injectors, engine and exhaust system, it probably won't be covered by warranty as Petrol damages all of those item in a diesel car and it's on your vehicle service history,  but we'll look after you with a good rate          ( head shake again ).  One of them answered  a phone call and started talking, they paid and left.
When it was my turn,  I said " thats the biggest load of bullshit I've heard in ages, tank removed , inverted and shaken, and Hy Aust decides on warranty not the dealer,  f**k me. Now what did you do for me ?
Wakelings Smeaton Grange.
Lesson :
If you put the wrong fuel in- get a mechanic to fix -don't take to dealer .  :D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 04:11:45 by mickd »
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Mick, as a matter of interest, which dealer did your 15K service.   :twisted:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mick, as a matter of interest, which dealer did your 15K service.   :twisted:
:goodjob:
Knew I'd forgotten something   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Just altered post.
Wakelings Smeaton Grange near Narellan   :D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 21:16:18 by nzenigma »

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
That much to empty tank?  surely they are kidding. 
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That much to empty tank?  surely they are kidding.

No No, "removal of tank- with arms above head "   :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
There are plenty of sharks out there....

What was their reaction when you took them to task?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If people had ignored the phone call, I would have butted in, but , obviously the call about who & where they were having dinner was more important than being hit for a grand & a dubious rejection of warranty claims in the future.
Service guy said  "I read what the service staffs report said "

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Darn, those sort of practice need to be cull.  I have no issue with them earning money for fair work, cause they are a business after all.  Yet that much extortion is just short sighted for long term customer retention.  Would you want to bring your car to them now that you found out?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Probably a company car so they didn't GAF.

Seems like a lot of effort taking it to the dealer when there is a mob that will do it at the servo and never tell a soul.

Funnily enough there are no pictures of them shaking a fuel tank over their heads either.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Darn, those sort of practice need to be cull.  I have no issue with them earning money for fair work, cause they are a business after all.  Yet that much extortion is just short sighted for long term customer retention.  Would you want to bring your car to them now that you found out?

:whsaid:

When I did it in my 2008 Crdi in around 2009, I thought $150 by Hi Tune where my mate worked was steep! That did include a tow.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
This is one of the reasons why forums like this are needed. To help those less knowledgeable.
We have a great group that give that knowledge, on so many problems.
So many people have NO idea on so many issues. Sad to say that unless your BS Detector is working and you are prepared to question,  many can only believe what they are fed by as they know no better.
BS Detectors are fine tuned through knowledge and experience, first or second hand.
As i said , if they had ignored the  call,  i would have added my 2 cents worth, But dinner became more important, so , live in the bed you made.
I got my set price service, with no BS, but I made it clear when I dropped Santa off, exactly what I wanted, what I didn't and don't give me any BS.
Wrong fuel, go anywhere but a dealer. :victory:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

When I did it in my 2008 Crdi in around 2009, I thought $150 by Hi Tune where my mate worked was steep! That did include a tow.  :cool:

:lol: :lol:  :winker: you crack me up Dazz !

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
This is one of the reasons why forums like this are needed. To help those less knowledgeable.
We have a great group that give that knowledge, on so many problems.
So many people have NO idea on so many issues.

Mick your posts have been excellent. Thanks from me!  :goodjob:

As, Dazz and a few others will know, I have been ranting on about dealer malpractice for several years.
In 2015, I was involved in fixing a car with diesel bugged fuel, a simple repair. The HY dealer had quoted $16,000 to repair it.
When you reported $1060 for the tank shake,  it didn't shock me. Clearly this dealer is regularly 'shaking down' clients, otherwise the staff would not so brazenly air such BS in front of anyone within earshot..

Do we render a service to make people aware?... maybe....to some.  :undecided:
Often, I have given sound advice regarding a fault and warned the member that the dealer will gouge him/her. Guess where they end up. :crazy1:

Given that we live among the 'ME Generation', Beerman may be on track,
Probably a company car so they didn't GAF.

And why should they GAF ?  It belongs to someone else. :fuckyou:

Which reminds me that much of the time I spend here, is spent trying to fix cars that belong to someone else.
Hmm....  :sicky:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Which reminds me that much of the time I spend here, is spent trying to fix cars that belong to someone else.
Hmm.... 

I would love to shout you a few round of beers + munchies for all your help.  I have no double Dazzler will throw in some dancing girls as well. :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

When I did it in my 2008 Crdi in around 2009, I thought $150 by Hi Tune where my mate worked was steep!:
Of course you did.  :Pout:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks, appreciated, but the odd back slap from Dazz is all I need.  :D

I know this also gets up the nose of @tw2005 who puts in as much time as I do.
 Its the large number of ungrateful ba*&^%$d people who get great attention from various members, but we never hear a word of thanks, and more irritating , confirmation that their problem was solved.

:cool:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks, appreciated, but the odd back slap from Dazz is all I need. 
and here I am looking forward to dancing girls.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks, appreciated, but the odd back slap from Dazz is all I need.  :D

I know this also gets up the nose of @tw2005 who puts in as much time as I do.
 Its the large number of ungrateful ba*&^%$d people who get great attention from various members, but we never hear a word of thanks, and more irritating , confirmation that their problem was solved.

:cool:

People join a forum, vent, then don't get a response in 32 seconds so they go to a dealer and pay 1k to have their misfulled car fixed.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hmm.... 

I would love to shout you a few round of beers + munchies for all your help.  I have no double Dazzler will throw in some dancing girls as well. :)

Did someone mention dancing girls?  :P :happydance:

When I did it in my 2008 Crdi in around 2009, I thought $150 by Hi Tune where my mate worked was steep!:
Of course you did.  :Pout:
At the time a couple of people gave me the impression I had paid too much. It was nearly 10 years ago when water cost less than fuel!  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal