i30 Owners Club

Blue light reflection at night

liamkc · 70 · 13614

Offline liamkc

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bradford
Hi everyone,

I'm a new i30 owner and I'm loving the car overall. There is just a small issue I have with the blue lights from the audio panel reflecting on the windscreen at night. I know the brightness can be reduced and there is a dark button but it still seems a little annoying pressing this when i change volume/channel. I might be obsessing a bit because I can't find anything else to fault yet lol. It would be good if it turned off automatically at night after a few seconds or something like that. Has anyone else noticed this and does it bother you?

Thanks guys.

P.S. Hope to get a photo of the car on here soon. It's a Czech model 1.4 comfort black (2010).

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Liamkc, welcome from the red rose county :)

Your "issue" is interesting. My audio panel doesn't cause any reflection on my glass - I've had Fergie for just over two years now. I would love to see pics, especially around this issue, although I would imagine such pics would be hard to capture accurately.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I think it's pretty annoying it "un-darks" when you use the steering remote controls.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Hi everyone,

I'm a new i30 owner and I'm loving the car overall. There is just a small issue I have with the blue lights from the audio panel reflecting on the windscreen at night. I know the brightness can be reduced and there is a dark button but it still seems a little annoying pressing this when i change volume/channel. I might be obsessing a bit because I can't find anything else to fault yet lol. It would be good if it turned off automatically at night after a few seconds or something like that. Has anyone else noticed this and does it bother you?

Thanks guys.

P.S. Hope to get a photo of the car on here soon. It's a Czech model 1.4 comfort black (2010).

Yes its so bright that I always turn it off.

My Volvo C30 display is very clever, it reveres the dispay at night or when its gone dark. So you don't get this problem  :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
audio panel reflecting on the windscreen at night.  
my radio did that,after i removed the protective plastic film on the screen it didn't do it anymore.  :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline liamkc

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bradford
Is there a protective screen on the radio? I've just taken a look now and tried to peel the edge with no obvious flap. Looking at it though it does show faint scratches like plastic would but i don't want to damage the screen. I'll try it a bit harder in a while, just hope that's what the issue is. Thanks

Edit: Checked it again but doesn't seem there is a film on it, i'll get it over it i'm sure.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The factory "screen protector" was very obvious and easy to remove. Some dealers may remove this during PDI. I replaced it with a high quality (read china import) version.

I still have the tatty factory protector on the seatbelt indicator panel as I haven't got around to cutting a better one yet.

Offline liamkc

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bradford
Thanks Lorian, can you tell me where you got your screen protector from? I haven't thought about getting one but it's a good idea.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I can turn mine off by pressing the "dark" button.

All functions still operate only the light goes off
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I can turn mine off by pressing the "dark" button.

All functions still operate only the light goes off

Yea but if you turn up the volume or change channel it "un-darks".

I use screen protectors from dealextreme. Their largest one just need a slight trim on the top, and are about 2 mm not wide enough, but that's close enough for me, as I already had a bunch of these for another device. If you have never applied one before get 10, and you'll be able to do it after geeting though about half the pack  :mrgreen:

Offline liamkc

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bradford
Hey everyone,

I just want to check back on this issue I have with the radio light reflection in the windscreen at night. Some people say they don't have this issue at all and am wondering if those people have a different kind of windscreen or better radio. I do quite a bit of night driving and the most enjoyable part is listening to music and being able to change the track/channel frequently. I'm used to the view through the windscreen without any distractions I know other cars have hoods or a recess for their audio screen and wonder why hyundai didn't think of this in the i30. At the least a better quality lcd that doesn't need a blue back light. Even the dark function could have different modes so you don't have to press every few seconds. Does anyone have any suggestions or is it worth emailing hyundai about this? Everything else is great but i'm getting a bit too obsessed by this and would appreciate your thoughts. Keep thinking if i'd got a ceed I wouldn't have had this issue

Thanks guys

Offline saunaman

• 3rd Gear

• fi Finland
      Marttila
Some people say they don't have this issue at all and am wondering if those people have a different kind of windscreen or better radio.

I do not have this problem either, but I believe this is mostly related to our personal constitution and the way we are seated.

I've got relatively short legs and a long spine - when I adjust the seat the way I like it best, the blue reflection positions itself just outside of the windscreen. If I adjust the seat back more towards lower setting, the reflection comes into my sight. Lucky enough, I like to sit in more upright position.

Adjusting your seat might give you at least a temporary relief, although it might not be the optimal solution for the issue...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Liam

I don't have an issue with the reflection (in fact for some reason I like all my dials and displays on full brightness at night  :-[)

It must be the position I sit in I am about 5'9 and of average dimension (in most parts  :lol:)

Pity I dont live closer I may have been able to help you fabricate a little shield to mount above the stereo with a utility knife and a video case and a very thin piece of double sided tape  :idea: (or maybe there would be something else you could mount there to block the reflection?)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK
its the blue lights from the police you really got to worry about, Buhahahaha

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol: :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Its definitely a height thing. I had a play around in my seat last night and I think you would only see the relfection if you are maybe less than about 5'8" tall. Varies a bit depending how far you have your seat away from the wheel. The further back the less likely you are to see it.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Its definitely a height thing. I had a play around in my seat last night and I think you would only see the reflection if you are maybe less than about 5'8" tall. Varies a bit depending how far you have your seat away from the wheel. The further back the less likely you are to see it.
its possably the brightness you've set the dash lights on.  my wife is only 5' tall and shes not having this problem. I'm 6'2" plus and i drive with the seat all the way down and all the way back  [im almost in the back seat] and i don't get a reflection either.try using the dash lights dimmer to take the brightness down a little.  :idea: :razz:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I'm not having the reflection problem I'm 6' tall  :mrgreen:

However I drive along a lot of unlit motorways at night, and I hate my vision beiing messaed with by the stereo display itself so I keep it in the dark mode all the time. The stereo is still very bright even on it's lowest brightness setting. I might change the dimmer resistance sometime. Dark would be fine if it just stayed dark even when you change tracks/stations.

Offline liamkc

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bradford
Yeh that's what i've been thinking of dazzler (by the way i'm a similar height 5"10). The cd player could be replaced with a push out shield as i don't use it (better in theory than practice probs). However, i know any modification i'd attempt would look a complete mess but maybe i could find an expert in this area (if there is one). Maybe it is something to do with it being a newer model build in czech. I don't even think I could change the audio panel easily as its not a standard size unit and i've seen on here its quite complicated to remove. I messed around with my seat and some positions reduce the effect but its still noticeable. I agree with you lorian that the dark button could have a better function. Fortunately for you guys it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem but I really think hyundai should take note for future models.

Thanks for your help peeps, i'll keep it dark at night until there is a magic solution.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Liam this is what i mean (an eyebrow above stereo to stop reflection in windscreen)

and I have come up with a better idea how to make it...

1) Get a new wiper blade a dark grey Silicon one would be good...

2) carefully cut off the the back part that holds the blade in the wiper arm (with a razor blade or hobby knife)

3) Cut the blade to the same length as the CD slot and neatly apply some thin double sided tape to flat back part

4) Stick it where I have illustrated nice and straight and even with the blade bit sticking towards you ..

5) It should stick out probably half a centimetre (about quarter of an inch)

Should hopefully be enough to stop the reflection..

I love inventing things..and helping people  :mrgreen:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Or you could leave a CD in the slot, half in half out :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I don't think the stereo will let you do that  :rolleyes: (my idea involved a lot more thought)  :lol:

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
You could purchase a tinted screen protector that are available for some mobile phones, or buy some window tint film and use that.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
you can always turn the screen off by pressing the Dark button
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline liamkc

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bradford
Yeh I know but I mentioned before the dark feature is rubbish as it doesn't stay dark when changing anything on the radio. Anyway I sent email to hyundai and got a reply :rolleyes:. I suppose they can't give me a new radio but the response might as well have been 'live with it.' Apparently nobody else has complained about this to the product and design team and they kindly told me I have a dimmer switch which with a couple of brain cells I discovered on the first night; all it does is give me a darker shade of blue to look at :exclaim: They have noted my comments for the future and changes are often made with suggestions from customers apparently. Finally they wished me many happy years of motoring with hyundai - yeh i really hope so too everything is great but do you have a solution regarding my quert hyundai :question: Nope, they obviously don't care about this OCD  :'(

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 is it possable for some of our UK members to meet liamkc one night, and see what his problem is and maybee get him to sit in their i30 to see if the problem arises in it also. [just an idea]  :razz:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think I fully understand the issue, I would have it too if I had my seat more relined or shorter legs.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
this weekend I'm going to move my seat around to see if i can replicate this problem. as I've mentioned before my wife's around 5' nothing and she has no blue reflection.  :razz:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

this weekend I'm going to move my seat around to see if i can replicate this problem. as I've mentioned before my wife's around 5' nothing and she has no blue reflection.  :razz:

Move seat forward, recline seat well, and take a look at the screen towards the rear view mirror.

I'm glad I didn't buy a ford, we'd be talking about the gearstick coming off and stuff now  :razz:

Offline liamkc

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bradford
Hey Guys, I hope this photo i've just taken illustrate 'the blues' i'm experiencing because of this reflection. It is apparent from twilight and is even worse when pitch black. Apologies about the quality it was taken with a camera phone. I understand you'll be really sick of this thread but let me know what you think and if it is the same for your i30 Cheers.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal