Blue light reflection at night

liamkc · 70 · 13613

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'll just let it get a bit darker here then I'll go out and snatch a look.

Can't say I've noticed anything like that tho, although my driving in the dark is minimal

... I understand you'll be really sick of this thread...

Don't worry one bit about that happening.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Liam...

Don't think anyone would be sick of this thread.. if they are not interested they don't have to read it.

My wife is only 5' tall and she doesn't have the problem either? strange isn't it..

What you show in the photo would be annoying (and a bit dangerous) I reckon it's worth trying my eyebrow idea (from earlier in the thread - easily removed :wink:)

If you are using a USB stickj for your music you could always cull the songs you don't like or sort them into different "moods" so you don't have to go skipping tracks at night  :idea:

We'll get you sorted eventually.. you have all the vast resources of this forum at your disposal.. just because 5 billion of Hyundai R & D hasn't helped is incidental.... :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline liamkc

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bradford
Edit: Thanks for the support I'm glad there is a forum like this with such helpful members  :) . I will try to do something like you suggested to cover it. Very strange that your wife can't see it as the lower you are the more likely you can spot it i reckon. I'm beginning to think my car slipped passed quality control as it affects hardly anyone on here. Stuff like this grate me  :mad: especially when i've paid 10k after saving a long time for a new car. I expect it to be just right. Enough moaning from me i'm gonna shut it for a while  :wink:.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... Stuff like this grate me  :mad: especially when i've paid 10k after saving a long time for a new car. I expect it to be just right. Enough moaning from me i'm gonna shut it for a while  :wink:.

You keep it coming mate :D

Just gonna go out right now (22:30 UK time) and see if I can snap me some shots of blue grass glass. PS I paid just under £16k so you got a real Bradford Bargain

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Pictures (camera phone) totally useless with or without flash.

However, I see your point now Liam. When I slide right down in the chair the reflection is very very very visible and of quite high intensity.

In my normal driving position I couldn't see any reflection. That, in part, is helped by the black spotted "matting" that is glued to the glass onto which the mirror has been fixed.

It doesn't show too well on my only half-decent pic (I took about 20 of them :rolleyes:) but has shielded the reflection from me, and I had to slink down to take that pic.

PS.. excuse the filthy mirror  :-[

Offline liamkc

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bradford
Thanks for taking the time shambles; I think you're lucky in that it doesn't seem too bad at all for you. We might have started a perculiar trend with these photos now though :razz:, let's see how many we can get. Would be interesting to see some from people with a 2010 model. If mine was within the black sun shade behind the mirror it would probably be ok. Unfortunately it is completely to the right of it. Looking at the radio when I was in the back the other day I noticed it's angled towards the driver (that's how sad I can be at times), which might explain why mine reflects to the side in full view. I'm thinking hyundai have done some tweaking for the 2010 czech models trying to improve the ergonomics without realising the consequences. Such a basic design element should have been spotted in their tests really. Yes I've thought about this way too much. I've even wanted to stop random i30 drivers to ask if it's the same for them as even though it's a bit twisted  :twisted: I'd feel better if others experienced it (I feel mean). Anyhow i'm gonna go on a bit of a mission as I want a proper response from hyundai and a new re-designed radio (I wish). Mmm what was that I mentioned about shutting up?

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Drastic action to fix problem  :lol:

Put 1 ohm 10 Watt Resistor on the radio illumination + voltage input.

That should DIM the display  :lol:  the resistor would need to be kept away from other wiring as it may get quite hot.

Or open the radio and fit lower wattage bulb(s) etc

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Won't that be where the dimmer is connected anyway? Maybe a higher resistance pot would be the way to go.

mvasseur
Also, if you place the resistor where you suggested,  won't it also dim the lights behind the buttons?

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Also, if you place the resistor where you suggested,  won't it also dim the lights behind the buttons?

The buttons may be led lit, but don't actually know.

Still can't understand why he does not try some tinted phone or window screen film. Cheap and easy to fit  :lol:

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK
turn down the brightness of the dash lights (the rolly knob  by the key) thus will darkern the  light so it will not shine on the screen

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I don't get it.

must be the drivers position in the seat

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
turn down the brightness of the dash lights (the rolly knob  by the key) thus will darkern the  light so it will not shine on the screen

All this has been suggested.. but still too bright apparently..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I am 5'7" (30"of which are the legs) and have no problem like this, also in 2 years of ownership, like some others though I have the seat positioned fairly upright in order to get full travel on the clutch pedal.  It looks from your picture to be quite far up the screen, is that correct :question: :question: :question:

If so I figure that my seat position means any reflection for me would be on the black area behind the mirror,
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think its vital we take some meaurements and create a 3d model to see exactly where the relfection occurs  :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

When I switch my lights on the blue light dims.

Does this happen with yours?

Offline liamkc

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bradford
Yeh I can dim the backlight when i turn the headlights on, however it is still in full view near the top of the windscreen. None of the reflection is covered by the black shade behind the mirror. I'll try to get another photo for you with it fully dimmed to show that it is still an annoyance. I just have the seat in a normal position - Not too high or low and not too far back or forward but it is still right there in my vision. I don't want to stare at it when i'm trying to concentrate on the road ahead but I can't help but look as it is always there when it's dark outside. Can't understand why i'm the only one who can see the whole reflection. Do you think I could ask Hyundai dealer to try to alter the position of the stereo or something under warranty, stating I think it's a bit dangerous? Not sure what consumer rights are in this regard.

P.S. Bumpkin It is quite high up on the windscreen but I can see all or most of it regardless of seating position. Would lowering the stereo make it reflect higher up out of sight or would it need raising?

Good idea Lorian I think we'll be experts on this subject given the length we've discussed it  :lol: I just want to fix it and forget about it really though.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I have to say that I now think Dazz' idea of creating an eyebrow represents the best solution now, for you.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yep, I agree, the eyebrow looks like a reasonable idea but I think it might need to be deeper than a wiper blade given the height of the stereo window, thereby creating a possibly (probably??) ugly fix. :'( :'(

Liam, have you checked the position of your unit, ie it's not sticking out from the dash a bit or tilted too far in at the top (creating a step to the curvature of the dash) is it??
It just seems to me that out of over 1000 owners for only one to find it an issue suggests that something perhaps not fitted quite right, perhaps the whole dash is on a slight upwards skew perhaps by being tightened more at the top than the bottom :question: :question: :question:

Excuse my rambling, I tend to think best whilst typing the last thought, usually causing new thoughts to come into my mind.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good ideas there Brian.

One other thing springs to mind... could it be that the interior of the glass has had some kind of treatment rendering it ultra sensitive to light? Maybe some cleaning or releasing agent that hasn't been removed?

Liam have you cleaned the windscreen interior at all since you've had her? The i30, that is.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
^^^
The other thought that occurred to me was that they have put a non-solar glass windscreen into Liam's car and he is the first owner we have had with that type of screen.

Do we know if Hyundai have changed the spec. of the windscreen recently :question: :question: :question:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^ without going outside in this rain to check, doesn't the glass have the word "athermic" or "solar" etched on it? I think mine does... Easy to check

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
^^

Just been out to check mine and indeed, passenger side at the bottom of the screen it says Solar Glass :razz: :rolleyes:

Can you check yours Liam?

Also while there I noticed when in my driving position that the metal look stereo surround is reflected in my screen starting half way up the black matting and by tracing my finger back towards the display, I could see in the reflection that by the time I had reached the display my finger had moved off the top of the windscreen.

Somebody with longer legs but seat at the same height would probably find the display beginning to encroach onto the windscreen, however invariably I would suggest that longer legs would also mean longer back therefore sitting higher, negating the encroachment :question: :question:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yup. That's one to check Liam

Also while there I noticed when in my driving position that the metal look stereo surround is reflected in my screen starting half way up the black matting and by tracing my finger back towards the display, I could see in the reflection that by the time I had reached the display my finger had moved off the top of the windscreen.

Somebody with longer legs but seat at the same height would probably find the display beginning to encroach onto the windscreen, however invariably I would suggest that longer legs would also mean longer back therefore sitting higher, negating the encroachment :question: :question:

I've drafted a quick summary of what bumpkin just wrote...

(click to show/hide)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Please post picture of your unit so I/we/others can compare to what I/we /others have in my/their cars.

It could be that the unit is different or housing has changed

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I don't think the comfort model ever got athermic glass, certianly wasn't in the 2009 spec, my style has it though.

Wife: "arent you goint to watch the big political debate?"

Lorian: "no I'm going outside to look at the reflection of the radio in my windscreen"

Wife: "Don't blame you".

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

So I sat and I fiddled.

In my normal driving position I have my seat right back and I'm quite tall, and the reflections head towards the roof lining above the rear view mirror, so no problem for me.

However If I move forward maybe 3 or 4 inches the reflection gets lower, then like Shambles says, for a while the black matte mask stops the reflection being a problem. The when I'm maybe 6 inches further forward I can see the reflection really well.

I think this means all our findings are much the same.

Everything dims more when the headlights are switched on, just not enough.

The Dimmer knob is linked to all the dashboard lights, not just the radio. And it would help folk at night if it had the ability to dim pretty much all the way to black. Resistance in this case is not futile.

Perhaps a solution is a fixed resistor (of value to be determined) with a switch, in series with the pot.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I don't think the comfort model ever got athermic glass, certianly wasn't in the 2009 spec, my style has it though.

Wife: "arent you goint to watch the big political debate?"

Lorian: "no I'm going outside to look at the reflection of the radio in my windscreen"

Wife: "Don't blame you".

ROFL :lol: :lol:

And having watched the big political lie so far, I think I might just have to go outside and look at mine, just beginning to get dark now. :cool: :cool:

Offline liamkc

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bradford
Funny guys, at least we're not so sad as to watch the political debate right?  :lol:. What a status this blue light has got now, the control it has gained  :eek: It seriously needs to banished. Sure i can turn it's intensity down a little, i can try to avoid it's full gaze by perching high on my seat pretending it's not there. I can even turn it off but I must turn it back on again to satisy my needs  :lol:. Right these are my last pics until i get it fixed because it's beginning to **** me right off. Here's one with the brightness down and also one of my centre console which i had to use a flash on. I also checked the writing at the bottom of the passenger side and there's no mention of solar glass even though mine is the mid-spec 2010 comfort model.  :'(  Sorry they're big crappy photos, don't know to change them yet. Will modify the post when i can)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
OK, I have just been out and had a look at mine in the driveway.

In my normal driving position the reflection is into the roof lining and by lowering myself in the seat I can make it come onto the screen where it is half hidden by the black matte.

No matter where I position the seat I can not make the reflection come further down the screen than the same height as the rear view mirror and the most I could see it was with the seat fully back and by physically lowering myself to the point where I was looking through the rim of the steering wheel to see the road.

At all points in my "test" I found that the reflection when I could see it was always in my peripheral vision and as such was quickly blocked out by normal concentration on the road ahead.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal