i30 Owners Club

Stuffed Door Seal

Guest · 122 · 31606

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I think it's a great idea, but then I suggested it too!

Sorry, had not fully read your above post  :-[

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I think it's a great idea, but then I suggested it too!

Sorry, had not fully read your above post  :-[

My fault, I sometimes I write too much....

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks guys....

If I have no joy re warranty, I'll think I'll just put up with the clear tape for a while, it doesn't look that bad, certainly not bad enough to rush out and get a brand new seal.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks guys....

If I have no joy re warranty, I'll think I'll just put up with the clear tape for a while, it doesn't look that bad, certainly not bad enough to rush out and get a brand new seal.

Maybe lash out for a new seal .. and then re-apply clear tape as protection  :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
bah... just leave it, and replace the seal when you come to sell the car! or dont bother!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the wreckers should have lots of i30s. especially hail damaged ones. but that's not the case,they are hard to find in wreckers.  :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Had another email from Hyundai....and still no joy, but, at least they empathize with me... :lol:

Thankyou for your response.

Hyundai Australia have advised we certainly empathize with your concerns
raised, but unfortunately as this issue has been diagnosed as wear and
tear, not a manufacturing defect, it is therefore not covered under
warranty.

Hyundai Motor Company Australia are unable to assist further in this
matter.

Kind Regards

Amy
Customer Service Consultant
Hyundai Motor Company Australia

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Would not cost Hyundai much  :rolleyes:

Think they should have done it to show some goodwill towards their customer.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I suggested that a few times in my emails to Hyundai, they chose to ignore it.....
It would have been cheap PR, and would have shut me up...now I'll be letting everyone I know of how they, regardless of what they quote on their website, aren't really interested in keeping their customers happy.... :eek:

BTW, I did one last email to them yesterday, I got a reply back tonight and here's their reply.....Me thinks they have wiped their hands of it....

Dear Russell,

Thankyou for your response.

Hyundai Motor Company Australia acknowledges receipt of your recent email.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Unfortunately Hyundai Motor Company Australia are unable to assist any
further in this matter.

Kind Regards

Amy
Customer Service Consultant
Hyundai Motor Company Australia

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
now I'll be letting everyone I know of how they, regardless of what they quote on their website, aren't really interested in keeping their customers happy.... :eek:

I hope that you will append the caveat that they are replacing the whole spoiler under warranty due to a defect in the original installation resulting in a slightly unglued bit  :question: :question::wink: :wink:

Surely that makes you slightly happy :question: :rolleyes:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
As much as I'd like to jump up & down with angst at this, my personal opinion is that this is NOT a defect. Used for its primary function as a draught stop / seal, the only expected contact is full on, no friction, so it is not designed to withstand friction. I dare say these seals are made in the same way, from the same materials, as many other cars. I am 1.8 metres tall (6'2" in old money) and 210lbs but I manage to get in & out of my car without constantly causing friction across my door seal.

Question to the OP...
Do you park with the drivers door closely adjacent to a wall, causing a limited door opening for you to squeeze in?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm more than happy with how the dealer responded to the spoiler problem....the key word here is dealer, I had no contact with Hyundai.
And yes, I do tell people....

As much as I'd like to jump up & down with angst at this, my personal opinion is that this is NOT a defect. Used for its primary function as a draught stop / seal, the only expected contact is full on, no friction, so it is not designed to withstand friction. I dare say these seals are made in the same way, from the same materials, as many other cars. I am 1.8 metres tall (6'2" in old money) and 210lbs but I manage to get in & out of my car without constantly causing friction across my door seal.

Question to the OP...
Do you park with the drivers door closely adjacent to a wall, causing a limited door opening for you to squeeze in?

There are naturally plenty of times when I do need to squeeze in, such as when parking alongside other cars in a carpark, but at home, no....
Many of my friends have watched as I get in and they all say that they can't see how I could possibly get in without brushing against the door opening.

I've argued with Hyundai that it is totally unreasonable to expect someone to be able to access their car at all times without brushing against the door opening.
Their stance is, if a seal fails and there's ANY sign of wear whatsoever, then the warranty claim will be rejected.
So for everyone else out there that may brush against it less frequently than I, don't be surprised if you're up for a new seal sometime down the track......

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I'm more than happy with how the dealer responded to the spoiler problem....the key word here is dealer, I had no contact with Hyundai.

But the dealer has only agreed to a new spoiler because Hyundai told them they could :exclaim:

Therefore you have had no direct contact with Hyundai but your dealer has for this issue.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Question to the OP...

There are naturally plenty of times when I do need to squeeze in, such as when parking alongside other cars in a carpark, but at home, no....
Many of my friends have watched as I get in and they all say that they can't see how I could possibly get in without brushing against the door opening.

I've argued with Hyundai that it is totally unreasonable to expect someone to be able to access their car at all times without brushing against the door opening.
Their stance is, if a seal fails and there's ANY sign of wear whatsoever, then the warranty claim will be rejected.
So for everyone else out there that may brush against it less frequently than I, don't be surprised if you're up for a new seal sometime down the track......

As I keep my door latches well greased I keep WELL away from brushing against anything attached to the door-frame, But dont get me wrong, I do feel your pain here.

If its still under Warranty what I suggest may not be a great idea... But...

Take the seal off & have a look at it's cross sectional construction, maybe measure it / draw it accurately, or even better take it with you to a scrappies.

Get amongst the more modern cars in there & do likewise with the door-seals.

Buy one that fits / suits and if it is big / long enough replace it or cut out a section of the existing one & insert a section of the replacement. Do it accurately & there wont be any wind noise or water leak issues.

Just an Off-the-Wall suggestion... At least you will be better able to judge if it is a poor materials issue for Hyundai...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
But the dealer has only agreed to a new spoiler because Hyundai told them they could :exclaim:

Therefore you have had no direct contact with Hyundai but your dealer has for this issue.

Isn't that basically what I said?   :neutral:

I guess once the spoiler is removed it would be pretty hard for Hyundai to dispute how good the glue had been holding anyhow....with the seal, that would be another story, I assume the seal would come off in one piece and Hyundai would still be able to see the worn section.

As I keep my door latches well greased I keep WELL away from brushing against anything attached to the door-frame, But dont get me wrong, I do feel your pain here.

Take the seal off & have a look at it's cross sectional construction, maybe measure it / draw it accurately, or even better take it with you to a scrappies.

Buy one that fits / suits and if it is big / long enough replace it or cut out a section of the existing one & insert a section of the replacement. Do it accurately & there wont be any wind noise or water leak issues.

Just an Off-the-Wall suggestion... At least you will be better able to judge if it is a poor materials issue for Hyundai...

Thanks for your suggestions, Ffoxy....Like I mentioned earlier, I think I'll just stick with the tape for the moment and see how that stands up to any wear. Maybe if I hold off long enough, others may be unlucky enough to have the same problem and I might then have more chance of having it replaced.....
Besides, next time I'm at the dealers I might just have a good ol' whinge to the sales manager who sold me the car and see what she has to say...I figure it can't hurt... :wink:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

It kind of is, the point I am making is that you are downing Hyundai about the door seal which in the first place you would have taken to your dealer who said no, so you went further up the chain to find that the reason the dealer said no was because Hyundai said no.  In the interests of keeping your custom in the future perhaps the dealer should be doing more on your behalf??

With the spoiler you are upping the dealer but the dealer has simply asked Hyundai the same question as for the door seal (will you pay for warranty replacement?) and Hyundai has said yes, so in real terms Hyundai are keeping the customer happy via it's dealer network.............any warranty replacement is not the dealers decision they are simply the interface between the customer and the suits.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I guess once the spoiler is removed it would be pretty hard for Hyundai to dispute how good the glue had been holding anyhow....with the seal, that would be another story, I assume the seal would come off in one piece and Hyundai would still be able to see the worn section.

Thanks for your suggestions, Ffoxy....Like I mentioned earlier, I think I'll just stick with the tape for the moment and see how that stands up to any wear. Maybe if I hold off long enough, others may be unlucky enough to have the same problem and I might then have more chance of having it replaced.....
Besides, next time I'm at the dealers I might just have a good ol' whinge to the sales manager who sold me the car and see what she has to say...I figure it can't hurt... :wink:

Might be worth keeping an eye on this Thread in here as it relates to seat BOLSTER wear... I have asked if there is any visible wear to the door seal...

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6837.0.html

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for that, Ffoxy.....

Seals wearing through in 6 months, seats looking quite secondhand after 5 months, plastics that scratch easily....I'm really starting to have a few concerns about the long term durability of the i30.  :eek:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Do you wear clothes made out of sandpaper? Mine is about 7 months old and still looks brand new inside. :)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm the same as you mate,it all looks as new still.

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....

Might be worth keeping an eye on this Thread in here as it relates to seat BOLSTER wear... I have asked if there is any visible wear to the door seal...

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6837.0.html

I replied here that there was no marks on the door seal but after having giving the car a good clean and checking again in good light, yes, there is some scuffing on the door seal!!

It is only light at the moment and all related to how I get in and out of the car, meaning I tend to brush my backside against the seat bolster in particular and obviously also against the door seal occasionally. Now I am not sure it has anything to do with the quality of the cars and the components used more with how we sometimes use them. The i30's a great car and have a solid build quality, no doubt about it! Being a tad smaller to what we are used to and the likes of myself being a little under 6' tall the way we use the car may be the issue. If we were to do the same to any car, that is, continually rub against a seal or seat bolster I am sure you would see the same result! No, I am very happy with how Smokey has lokked after us to date and certainly have no qualms about the long term durability. :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice post Nik (you are a gentleman  :wink:) but I already knew that...

Thanks for sticking up for our favourite (non-human) model... :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my seal hasnt even been touched.

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
Nice post Nik (you are a gentleman  :wink:) but I already knew that...

Thanks for sticking up for our favourite (non-human) model... :D

Thanks Darryl.. :-[

But I mean what I say and I think the i30 speaks for itself, just have a look how many are on the road now and how quickly this club is accumulating very happy new members!! :razz: :cool:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm sure that's why we get a 5 year warranty.  :mrgreen:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
interesting thread. i'm not sure i'd agree it's a warranty issue either but i did have a random couple of thoughts in line with it.

not ever having a 3 door car, how do rubbing against door seals getting out of the back seat of one them go? if that makes sense...
any thoughts of getting any independent to look at the seal to make a final 'ruling' on whether its 'fair' wear and tear or something else. if its just normal wear and tear than its obviously just not going to be covered. i guess it would be like me asking for a new drivers seat as my leather sides are creasing a little, when it comes down to that being the nature of leather and looking after it properly. you could therefore perhaps look into (and i guess this goes back to do 3 door car seals rub or not?)  is there meant to be any 'known' method of maintaining the seals in a certain way for this particular usage. i wasn't told how to look after my leather seats but it would be reasonably assumed i should know, whereas i don't think its assumed one is supposed to know how to maintain their seals. at least i don't - maybe i'm wrong here. if an independent was to rule it's not reasonable wear, and that it was safe to assume you should not know that they needed any special care, only then maybe you could jump up and down about it. in the long run, and please don't take this the wrong way as it's a genuine question, is it worth it though? hyundai have obviously made it clear what their standing is.
that was a bit long winded wasn't it
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We get your drift SC.. (Well at least I do)

As far as caring for your seals goes I would imagine a thin film of vaseline on them might stop them drying out but I don't think anything apart from some waterproof tape would reduce wear from contact with someones hip or a$$.. :cool:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i put amourall on my seals... probably a bit anal but meh! it makes the glossy, i mean you do put silicone on the tyres!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I never even gave the seals a thought until I noticed it had split open and on closer inspection noticed it was worn through. I certainly wasn't aware up until then that I had been rubbing against it, let alone hard enough to wear it through....
I guess it's just one of those things, it's not something that normally stuffs up, which is why I believed it should have been covered under warranty.
I've never had an issue with seals in any other car I've owned...even my little Holden Barina which I had for just on 20 years.

Do you wear clothes made out of sandpaper? Mine is about 7 months old and still looks brand new inside. :)

Just normal clothes, diablo.....jeans, polo shirts and jumpers, nothing abrasive....

interesting thread. i'm not sure i'd agree it's a warranty issue either but i did have a random couple of thoughts in line with it.

not ever having a 3 door car, how do rubbing against door seals getting out of the back seat of one them go? if that makes sense...
any thoughts of getting any independent to look at the seal to make a final 'ruling' on whether its 'fair' wear and tear or something else. if its just normal wear and tear than its obviously just not going to be covered. i guess it would be like me asking for a new drivers seat as my leather sides are creasing a little, when it comes down to that being the nature of leather and looking after it properly. you could therefore perhaps look into (and i guess this goes back to do 3 door car seals rub or not?)  is there meant to be any 'known' method of maintaining the seals in a certain way for this particular usage. i wasn't told how to look after my leather seats but it would be reasonably assumed i should know, whereas i don't think its assumed one is supposed to know how to maintain their seals. at least i don't - maybe i'm wrong here. if an independent was to rule it's not reasonable wear, and that it was safe to assume you should not know that they needed any special care, only then maybe you could jump up and down about it. in the long run, and please don't take this the wrong way as it's a genuine question, is it worth it though? hyundai have obviously made it clear what their standing is.
that was a bit long winded wasn't it

Not really sure what fair wear and tear is..honestly, if something fails in 6 months doing little more than getting in and out of a car, I'd say there's something wrong with the design. I know most of you haven't had this problem but we do know of one other case besides Opa's and mine, so it's not a completely isolated problem.

What has cheesed me off more than anything is Hyundai's attitude....
They haven't bothered to ask for photos or anything, it's just been constant denial.

Just as an aside, when I originally approached the dealer about my possible warranty claim he told me a story about another customer who had bought their car in with the same problem. He said it wasn't an i30 but he told me they had gone ahead and replaced the seal only to find that Hyundai wouldn't cover it so they ended up out of pocket. This is why they told me mine wasn't covered....they weren't willing to take the punt. Having replaced the seal in the first place, it would be reasonable to believe they thought it was faulty just as I believe mine is.....

Being a tad smaller to what we are used to and the likes of myself being a little under 6' tall the way we use the car may be the issue. If we were to do the same to any car, that is, continually rub against a seal or seat bolster I am sure you would see the same result!

I've had a number of small cars and have never had an issue such as this. My Holden Barina (Suzuki Swift with Holden badges) never had a single problem with seals and after just on 20 years the drivers seat still wasn't torn...

Anyhow, I'm sick of going on about it so let's move on.....yes? 8)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I'm the same as you mate,it all looks as new still.

Mine is 2 years old & still unmarked in any way discussed in this Thread.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal