i30 Owners Club

GD Auto Petrol Fuel Consumption

neptune · 22 · 7507

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I finally got my first tank of fuel done and had 95 RON in it.
I drove 558.7 Km which was mainly very short trips and one 250km trip.
Fill up was basically the same with previous top up and it consumed 45.21 lts.
This gave me 8.09 l/100km or 34. 92 mpg(IMP).

Am I happy with this...the answer would be no......my 4 speed auto Trophy gave me 30km more distance for the same amount of fuel and it did not have the six speeder auto. I was hoping for over over 600k's to the tank.........this time , I filled up with 98 Ron and see if there is a difference, otherwise its back to 91 RON

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Fuel economy will improve over time as the engine beds in. In my first 1000 km I averaged 6.4l/100k (1.6L diesel). This is gradually dropping.

There is also much debate about whether the 91/95/98 RON fuels actually improve fuel efficiency. The only real way to test this properly is under closed & controlled conditions, as there are many factors which determine fuel efficiency.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just finish my second tank of 98 ron fuel.
The driving was basically the same as the first tank. This time the distance travelled was550.8km.
The car  consumed 45.37 lts.
This  gave me 8.23 l/100km or 34.30 mpg on 98 RON

Now according to that study, the 98 RON was supposed to give me better fuel economy, which it didn't.  Real time driving is different from circuit driving.......so now this latest tank fill is with 91 RON

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Let's see what this tank does, eh.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
At 45 litres, you still had @ 8 litres left to go.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
it was tempting to push it, but the trip computer turns off at 50km to empty and I did not want to be caught out between fuel stops

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just finish my third tank of 91 RON fuel.
The driving was basically the same as the first tank. This time the distance travelled was 482.2km.
The car  consumed 45.01 lts.
This  gave me 9.33 l/100km or 30.28 mpg on 91 RON

Now according to that study, the 98 RON is in second place and 95 RON fuel has given me better fuel economy than 91 RON. Also must be known is that ECO mode was used for all three tanks.......so now this  tank fill is with 91 RON and ECO mode switched off.....lets see how I go?

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Our first tank was 7.7L/10 (593km), the second is on target for 7.3L/100 (currently ~430km, with about 220km left) using 91 RON, with ECO mode on and mostly peak hour driving (30km round trip per day.). And with the missus' lead foot ;)
  • MY12 GD i30 Elite in Santorini Blue

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Just finish my third tank of 91 RON fuel.
The driving was basically the same as the first tank. This time the distance travelled was 482.2km.
The car  consumed 45.01 lts.
This  gave me 9.33 l/100km or 30.28 mpg on 91 RON

Now according to that study, the 98 RON is in second place and 95 RON fuel has given me better fuel economy than 91 RON. Also must be known is that ECO mode was used for all three tanks.......so now this  tank fill is with 91 RON and ECO mode switched off.....lets see how I go?
when running on fuel higher than 91Ron you will need at least a tank and a half before your cars ecu even adjusts fully to it.  if you swap and change the octane levels you wont see a correct mpg figure.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
your motor will make it's best power, when it's on the verge of detonation ( pinging ) if the octane is higher than the motor needs ( need higher compression ratio ) so if your motor pings on 91 under load you ould be best to move up to 95. but if it never pings on 91 you probably won't see an economy gain with the higher octane. but what you will get runing the 98 octane is a clean combussion chamber, so always good to use 98 about every four tank fulls keep injectors clean too. i've looked inside a number of motors than just ran on 98, no carbon at all, & ones that run on 91 get a lot of carbon build up esspecialy if they are used in traffic all the time. just thought i'd mention this. also think you would see benifit useing the higher octane fuel if your on a trip as in traffic your mostly just idleing.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Lakes is correct. Detonation releases the energy stored in the fuel / air mix, all at once, with a flame front travelling through the mix at supersonic speed, causing engine damage. High octane fuels have additives in them to slow down combustion and as such the mix burns, rather than explodes. This heats the compressed gas in the cylinder, which forces the piston down and results in engine rotation. Running an engine at too high octane is not advised either, because,

- it's usually more expensive to buy.
- the fuel can still be burning as it leaves the combustion chamber, wasting power and stressing exhaust valves due to severe heat. Having said this, I doubt that publicly available fuels, would be particularly dangerous to today's engines.

Years ago, distributor timing was manually advanced, to allow for high octane racing fuels. Today's cars use knock sensors to produce the same timing alteration.

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
Only had my car for 2 weeks so its only seen 2 full refills (besides the full tank at delivery), I've only have and only will put 98 (BP ultimate, its meant to be the cleanest fuel available in Aus)in it and I'm only getting 10.8/100. Ive only got 700km on the odo, is my number so high because the engine is still settling in?

Offline Floor-it

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mentone, Vic
Only had my car for 2 weeks so its only seen 2 full refills (besides the full tank at delivery), I've only have and only will put 98 (BP ultimate, its meant to be the cleanest fuel available in Aus)in it and I'm only getting 10.8/100. Ive only got 700km on the odo, is my number so high because the engine is still settling in?

Good question, I'm averaging the same in my new car and I don't drive like a rev head either, It'll  be interesting to see what others have to say!? I'll disappointed if average fuel consumption doesn't decrease as it is a small hatch in the end of the day, my ford territory does 10.5/100 in city conditions and it's a large 4WD  :-[
  • i30 premium

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Good question, I'm averaging the same in my new car and I don't drive like a rev head either, It'll  be interesting to see what others have to say!? I'll disappointed if average fuel consumption doesn't decrease as it is a small hatch in the end of the day, my ford territory does 10.5/100 in city conditions and it's a large 4WD  :-[

You must have a bloody good one.....my wife couldn't get close to that in a Falcon....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

You must have a bloody good one.....my wife couldn't get close to that in a Falcon....

Must be a diesel
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Geothe50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sandringham, VIC
We have had our new GD Auto 1.8l petrol for more than 5 weeks now. It came with a full tank. Since then we had three refills: (1st) 8.75l/100km with 80 city/20 hwy; (2nd) 8.69l/100km with 90 city/10 hwy and (3rd) 9.09l/100km with 100% city. That compares reasonably well with the Hyundai claimed max of 9.9l/100 for city driving. PS: ECO mode has always been off  :goodjob2:
  • Subaru Forester, i30 Elite 1.8L Petrol Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Your off to a great start.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Floor-it

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mentone, Vic
So does fuel economy increase with time and Kms??
  • i30 premium

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
To a lesser extent than the Diesel engine. All new components in a car, including the transmission, are slightly tight.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
To a lesser extent than the Diesel engine. All new components in a car, including the transmission, are slightly tight.

In my car even the driver is tight!  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :D :snigger:

Offline Geothe50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sandringham, VIC
I finally got my first tank of fuel done and had 95 RON in it.
I drove 558.7 Km which was mainly very short trips and one 250km trip.
Fill up was basically the same with previous top up and it consumed 45.21 lts.
This gave me 8.09 l/100km or 34. 92 mpg(IMP).

Am I happy with this...the answer would be no......my 4 speed auto Trophy gave me 30km more distance for the same amount of fuel and it did not have the six speeder auto. I was hoping for over over 600k's to the tank.........this time , I filled up with 98 Ron and see if there is a difference, otherwise its back to 91 RON

Hi neptune,
You may not be happy with an average of 8.1l/100km, but if you should achieve this fuel consumption on an all time average basis you should be satisfied. After 19 refills our long-term average is 8.3l/100km with a 66%/34% city vs hwy driving distribution. You may also want to check what the US Elantra GT Hatch drivers report on Fuelly.
  • Subaru Forester, i30 Elite 1.8L Petrol Auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal