First 1.6 petrol Venga Economy Results

AlanHo · 8 · 2319

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
We have just returned from a 3 day mini holiday from our home in Solihull to Teignmouth Devon. It was the first long journey we have done in the Venga and I used it to determine the accuracy of the odometer in the car and the fuel economy on a long journey. I brimmed the fuel tank immediately before starting the trip and immediately upon our return.

To determine the accuracy of the odometer I compared it with the distance posts on the M5 motorway from Bromsgrove to the A30 exit near Exeter – and with the distance given on my Garmin sat-nav .

The odometer trip B measured the distance as 142.2 miles
The motorway posts measured 234.0 km = 145.4 miles
The Garmin sat-nav measured 145.3 miles

Hence the odometer is reading 2.2% under the actual distance.

The journey down measured 182 miles on the odometer of which all but 21 miles was on motorway class roads. The economy trip showed 41.9 mpg at the end of the journey and a time of 3 hours 16 minutes giving an average speed of 56 mph.

During our stay in Devon we did 61 miles tatting about the villages. The trip economy for this period (which was stop start through the Devon narrow lanes and towns) indicated 32.5 mpg and an average speed of 21 mph.

The journey back home measured 174 miles (a slightly different route than for the trip there) with the economy trip registering 43.4 mpg in a time of 3 hours 28 minutes giving an average speed of 50.1 mph.

The trip A economy trip for the whole period since the car was brimmed over a distance of 417 miles showed 40.6 mpg. and a calculated average speed of 44.1 mph.

Using the above data I have concluded that the Venga averaged an actual economy of 45.6 mpg (6.2 l/100 km) on this tank/journey  – but the car economy trip for that period showed 40.8 mpg. Hence my trip computer is under-stating the actual economy of the vehicle by a considerable amount.

Here is a copy of the spreadsheet I use to make an ongoing record of every tank of fuel.

I must admit that I am more than agreeably surprised at the indicated economy of the Venga. I had expected to get about 34 mpg around town and 38 mpg on long journeys. It will be interesting to compare this result with future tanks of fuel before I can be certain the results are accurate.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 21:29:18 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great result Alan.

Don't think you've said, is it the same motor they use in the 1.6 petrol tourer (is it a "GDI" or just normal EFI motor??) :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Same Gamma engine as in i30 as far as I know.  123 bhp  115 ft lbs torque  0-60 mph in 10.6 seconds.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Need to change, "Diesel Added" to "Petrol Added", Alan.

But a great result, a win / win situation. Did your wife enjoy the ride (in the car) :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Need to change, "Diesel Added" to "Petrol Added", Alan.

But a great result, a win / win situation. Did your wife enjoy the ride (in the car) :question:

Thanks Phil - copy and paste in haste - now corrected

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Did you take into consideration the hill in devon as this would put the mpg out.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Did you take into consideration the hill in devon as this would put the mpg out.
Which of the many hills do you refer to. Remember - what goes up will eventually come...............down.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Which of the many hills do you refer to. Remember - what goes up will eventually come...............down.

So you went down more than.................
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal