i30 Owners Club

A pictorial evolution of a GPS mount

KK · 8 · 3776

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
Here are some pictures of an idea that has taken shape in my i30 (CRDi) to mount a GPS in the top box.
With security in mind and with ease of setting up, I started by using a washing up pad as a mount with a slot cut at an angle to take the GPS. The GPS measures 120mm x 80mm x 15mm which can be stowed in the top compartment with a squeeze.
Following that, I found a cork based coaster that fitted very neatly into the central part of the compartment - resting on the top of the rubber mat edges and snugly into the hinge area. To this I glued a couple of pieces of plywood to take the GPS snugly. The result is as you see at the bottom picture. That base has to be removed before the compartment can be closed.
The lid of the compartment acts as a shade for better daylight viewing.

BTW there is not enough 'leakage' into the FM antenna to allow this unit to use that facility as it is. When the charge cord is plugged in it's quite OK. As this isn't there normally, I have had to revert to the GPS speaker in lieu (which is still loud enough to warn me when I'm over the speed limit!)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That's pretty good entrepreneurship there KK. Congrats on your efforts. I don't think I'll be placing an order for one though ;)

I've been toying for 18 months now as to how best to mount my Navman s90i in such a way as to allow me to close the flap and disguise the unit. It's my pet hate having to couple it up each day (I use mine mainly for Bluetooth/handsfree and pictures). Unfortunately it's the pictures feature that stops me using the unit within the confines of the compartment :(

Keep the ideas coming, if you pardon the pun  :cool: :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good job KK .. Only improvement I could suggest is to hit your little stand with some mat black paint to make it blend in a bit better...

P.S. I have an external GPS aerial you can have if you need it (that location might mess with you signal a bit)

Just PM me to organise pick up from my work or somewhere else in Devonport if it is any use...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Dazz i was thinking the same, but surprizingly the electronic toll gizmo works fine inside that top box with lid closed.
ps nice work KK

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
its not a bad mod for the price.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
Good job KK .. Only improvement I could suggest is to hit your little stand with some mat black paint to make it blend in a bit better...

Great minds think alike Dazz, Lakes and moi. Here's one or two pics after a little  low gloss dark grey paint was applied.

Fuzzy pic but you get the drift

Fuzzy again

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Top stuff, well done kk. Well, I do believe this is classified as an official modification :D so guess where this thread is heading ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Brew69

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide SA

• 2010 SLX CRD 1.6 Manual. <3 (continental silver)
I have done something similar.
I went to clark rubber and got some 25mm high density rubber foam. Cost $5 for a piece big enough to make 2. I traced around my gps mount (navman S50) and used a sharp craft blade to etch out a groove to sit the gps in.
I used a lightweight hinge which velcro's the top of the gps to the cubby lid. I will post a pic later. I followed iamadrivinggod's directions on drilling a hole and feeding the cable  inside the dash. Very neat and the lid closes with the mount installed.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal