i30 Owners Club

GPS mount in dashtop storage area

Offline jaydrama

• 1st Gear
I've learned a lot from reading this forum, and I am about to buy an Elatnra Touring with the dash top storage, so I'm very interested in options for mounting the GPS inside that space.

Has anyone explored a flexible gooseneck to hold a GPS and then be able to stuff the gooseneck back in to close the lid?

I'm actually going to try to use the Motonav 5.1" model and hope to make the pro install kit work, so I get the bluetooth and such through the sound system speakers.

I'd be interested in any input about the size of the GPS relative to the Storage bin, and the use of a gooseneck.

Jay

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi jaydrama - welcome to the club - glad it's helped you so far :D

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Jaydrama..

I think a 5.1" unit might just fit but I would wait until you get the car and double check your measurements in case you have to go down to a 4.3 (so the gooseneck will still fit in as well)

Don't think anyone on the site has tried the gooseneck option...

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
Hi Jay. I have a 4.3" satnav which sits nicely in dashtop area but the lid does not close, the hinges get in the way. The same applies to the gooseneck. However the GPS does store away nicely in the tray under the a/c controls when not in use. The main problem I have is finding somewhere to stick the suction cup, there are no suitable flat surfaces and the charging lead doesn't stretch to the windscreen. The best I've come up with so far is velcro under the radio display. There are some good mounting ideas if you search this forum.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal