GPS Dash Mod

i30Dave · 60 · 28378

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Adelaide, South Australia - Steel Grey SR i30
    • http://www.i30ownersclub.com
I decided to mount my GPS in the top pocket on the dash as suggested by others.
I didn't want to take the dash apart so i just took out the top pocket and fed a piece
of plastic down the back of the radio to pull up the power cable.

I drilled a hole in the pocket for the cable to come through.

I tied a loop in the cable to stop it falling through the hole

the GPS is attached to the lid of the pocket with velcro. The weight of the GPS is
enough to hold the lid down.

I road tested the mod by driving over the local speed humps. Overall i'm very happy with
the outcome of this quick and cheap mod.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks good Dave... ;)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Looks excellent.

I got a replacement NavMan S90i coming in the next couple of days; when that comes it'll be playtime here too  :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sell the idea to Hy but don't forget to patient it.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Thanks for sharing, good work  ;)

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
I just have to find a decent holder for my iphone (when it finally arrives) so I can use it as a GPS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

One of the Best things about Dave's mod is the lid will act as a sun shield to save glare on the screen (it's times like these you wish you had a skimpy dashmat... :oops:

ouri30
Yes, Dazz, and I get to see so much more of the beautiful curves and bulges that the skimpy top exposes.

:oops:

Offline peterlee

• 1st Gear

• sg Singapore
      Singapore
Quote from: "i30Dave"
I decided to mount my GPS in the top pocket on the dash as suggested by others.
I didn't want to take the dash apart so i just took out the top pocket and fed a piece
of plastic down the back of the radio to pull up the power cable.

I drilled a hole in the pocket for the cable to come through.

I tied a loop in the cable to stop it falling through the hole

the GPS is attached to the lid of the pocket with velcro. The weight of the GPS is
enough to hold the lid down.

I road tested the mod by driving over the local speed humps. Overall i'm very happy with
the outcome of this quick and cheap mod.

Nice mod. U can even go a step further to provide a torque hinge or a gas spring behind the gps. When the release button is pressed, the GPS will spring into view. When not in use, can keep the GPS out of view. A selvo can also be added to the release button to activate the opening of the top dash box by remote switch.

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Adelaide, South Australia - Steel Grey SR i30
    • http://www.i30ownersclub.com
i was going to use a hinge but the GPS is too wide and the lid won't shut  :(

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "i30Dave"
i was going to use a hinge but the GPS is too wide and the lid won't shut  :(

Yeah the S90i is a bit wide isn't it. I presume you don't take many NavPix with it mounted there in the pocket
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline sln

• 1st Gear
Quote from: "ozsnowman"
I just have to find a decent holder for my iphone (when it finally arrives) so I can use it as a GPS

I just installed one yesterday! It's from Brodit (http://www.brodit.se/productinformation.jsp?anr=854069&sortiment=null & http://www.brodit.se/productinformation.jsp?anr=915193&sortiment=null). Once I removed the stickers i thought i looked really good. Easy to reach where it's placed too. I don't know if they have any resellers in Australia though.

Maybe I can upload some pictures later on if someone is interested.

To original poster:
NIce mod :-)

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Well done Dave - nice guide - it's reassuring to see I'm not the only VelcroMan around these parts (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=607&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a) :geek:

Can't hide the cable on my SatNav as it's needed in 2 cars, so it must be portable. Therefore it just trails down the side of my stereo - unpleasant but unavoidable.

Offline Milo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Quote from: "sln"

I don't know if they have any resellers in Australia though.

Yep, They do.  http://www.holdmyphone.com.au/index.php?option=com_findholder&Itemid=71&hselect=&hselect2=&hselect3=&ddlsubaccessories=&ddlaccessories=&ddlBrands=135&ddlModels=682

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks to Milo and Sin for the useful info and links... ;)

Offline chylld

• 2nd Gear
hehe i did mine a much dodgier way... made a fold-down stand/holder out of meccano for my gps pda:

to keep the unit charged, i made a custom usb cable that taps off the +5v power in the centre console (where the ipod goes) and that charges my satnav all the time the car is on  (except for when the satnav is in use) ...

(satnav connector is the black one)

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
hey i30dave, i noticed that you dropped your power cable down from the back (as you stated), but in the end did you tap the power from the back of the cigarette lighter socket in order to cover the cables, or use the given cigarette jack with the gps?

Offline 31143

• 1st Gear

• nl Netherlands
      The Netherlands
For those who like to do a GPS Dash mod that's made for the i30!!!!!!
This beautiful looking GPS system comes standard factory build in every i30 in The Netherlands.

The system is made in Germany at a company called GPStar (http://www.gpstar.de/Uk/bilder_de.html).
At there website you can find the kit instructions, content and hard & software info.
The used technology for the GPS comes from NAVTEQ (http://www.navteq.com/index.html) and uses the Microsoft Windows CE 5.0 operating system.
The actual software that you use as a consumer is Navigon Mobile Navigator 6 (http://www.navigon.com/site/uk/en/products/mobile_navigation/mobile_navigator).

Hope to have helped in giving a good idea how to mod the dash for a GPS system!

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun

ouri30
Well Aussies,

That in dash flip up GPS looks very functional.  Now, how do we get someone (possibly Hyundai) to offer it as an option here in Australia.  I'd be tempted to import one and fit it, but how do we get Oz maps on it.  My current GPS has an SD card slot and runs the same operating system.  I have two cards with different GPS software and maps (Route 66 and TomTom).  If this GPS has an SD Card slot, then I might give it a go.

Bob

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Very nice mod Dave.

I am pricing GPS's at the moment and have narrowed it to either the naveman S50 or the tom tom gen 4 slim. The Navman model you have used is very wide. I am crossing my fingers that the models i have in mind might just about fit perfectly.
Dave, have you connected the power to the rear of the 12v outlet or does it lead around to plug into the front of the dash?

Again, good work :!:

Offline chylld

• 2nd Gear
i like dave's mod a lot more than the gpstar one; the latter doesn't seem to fit very well, and plus dave's one can still be used to hold stuff when the gps isn't in use. and he also won't have to worry about his gps unit melting in the hot sun!!

i've since removed my gps pda mount and am now just using my phone in a holder mounted on the driver's side air vent (next to the driver's door)... whoever thought my phone would have stronger gps reception than my dedicated gps pda... *sigh*

Offline Nev75

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, South Australia
With inspiration from this thread (and LOTS of help from Shambles) I am progressing through a very similar mod to the one in this thread.

I had to remove the top cubby hole, and the centre console, to access ignition-dependent power going into the car stereo.

I've connected a cigarette lighter 12v -> 6v adaptor, and run the wire into the cubby hole. I didn't drill a hole into the cubby hole - instead I put the wire through one of the screw holes. No drilling needed!

Now I just need to find a way to mount the GPS into the cubby hole, whether it be using velcro, or some type or hinge, or some other method.

The GPS I'll be using is the one I mentioned in this thread:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4565.0.html

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
never seen this thread before

couple of queries
1. how do you take out the cubby?

2. where do you attach the power? to the rear of the cigarette lighter or bring it around to the front? i'm a bit wary of removing the console actually
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
i was going to use a hinge but the GPS is too wide and the lid won't shut

I like the idea!

Your GPS dimensions
120 X 80 X 15 mm's
125 X 83 X 22 mm's
or
135 X 88 X 14 mm's

or I guess, more to the point, what are the internal dimensions of that dash compartment above the radio

please? I would like to buy a GPS off eBay. The above dimensions are some sighted that I like.

My car is still a couple of weeks off so I can't check

Offline KK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

• N.W. Tasmania, Australia
Having found out from a friend that his GPS (120 X 81 X 23mm's) squashes into the top compartment of his i30, even though that's not the regular place for him to have it. He mentioned the round suction mark on the windscreen is a sure sign to others that there is a GPS aboard.
I have bought a unit off eBay - 120 X 80 X 15 mm's
I hope this helps others

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Inspired by i30Dave's mod, I took a minimalist, fully reversible approach. At first I dismissed the mod as blocking the driver's view of the road but the lid touching the top of my Mio Moov A430 doesn't show above the driver's lower windscreen eye level. So now the problem I had was to keep the lid from separating from the unit, which freestands on its suction cup pedestal on top of the rubber mat.

I considered blocking the path of the hinges to make them stop short but considered i30Dave's observation that the weight of the unit is enough to keep the door down so I snapped a piece of coat hanger, bent it to curl around the thread of the GPS's mounting plate and then made a hook of the top end facing towards the observer, just above top centre of the unit.

This hook fits snugly into the recess in the lid (for locking it) and now the GPS looks just like i30Dave's. The cord is still in the socket at the bottom but it looks very neat running straight along the left of the centre console and I'll wire up as per the mod in good time.

The real winner to note is that when the lid is brought down to the top of the GPS unit, it does not block any view of the road AND the GPS is protected from sun as mentioned above - on both counts, gold!

PS: There's still room in there for my garage door opener!
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Excellent  :exclaim: A win/win situation  :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Well, now that I'm happy after driving to work and back, it's time to commit to a cable fix.

Googling http://eu.mio.com/shop/images/Moov_V700_Series_In_Car_Cha.jpg shows that the adapter for my Mio Moov A430 converts 12V to 5V. The mini USB 2.0 connector I doubt will pass through the top tray's screw hole so I'm facing dismantling the big end. Then, if I'm true to my 'reversible' approach, I'll rebuild the adapter and connect it via an aftermarket car charge socket to hide inside the console behind the existing socket and wired in parallel to it.

I'll do this in the next couple of weeks and provide pictures.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Gonz that would be great  :hatoff:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal