i30 Owners Club

Sheldon's First 'Real' Service!

hayseed · 13 · 4219

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
Hallooo everyone! It's been a while since I dropped in, but I thought I would share my experience with my local Hyundai service centre.

This was the 12mths / 15,000kms service (of which I'm sitting on roughly 5,700kms driven since May last year - terrible, I know!) for my SLX CDRi and it cost me a total of $301.83.

$120 for the 'labour' or the handbook list of 'things to do'.
$98.89 for the oil - they used Repsol (good, bad, ugly?)
$35.30 for the oil filter and a gasket oil plug
$20.20 for 'miscellaneous' which included the environmental levy  and 'workshop supplies' - sounds like I bought them lunch!

So, all that's $274.39 for the actual service, then we get the lovely little GST on top of that ($27.44) to bring it up to the $301.83 total.

I wasn't a huge fan of the total cost - but I wasn't expecting it to cost the same as the 1,000kms service (though wouldn't it be nice. ;D) My mother was less than impressed with the cost, but I don't really have any comparison for these things and she's not factoring in that Sheldon's a diesel as that no doubt makes a difference?

I also wasn't a huge fan of their 'complimentary car wash and vacuum' leaving parts unwashed (benefits of a white car?) and black marks on my floor mats! They'd also previously scratched the windscreen removing the service interval sticker on the 1,000kms service - this time they simply put the new one over the scratches (but at least I didn't find any new ones.)

Sooo, mixed feelings about what to do for my required service as I'm not enthused about going back there in a rush - especially if they're not going be taking care of my car!

I also a received an email (today actually) from them asking to let them know if there were any problems with what they'd done and so I've written them up a nice little email expressing my displeasure and reluctance to return.

Apart from that all this, it's almost a year on and my SLX is still as awesome to drive as the day I got it! I love my car. :D

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm not right up on diesel servicing but that doesn't seem a lot. I believe the oil cost is high, though.
Labour cost of $120 is really only about an hour and a half (at $80/hour), which I would consider reasonable.
And "environmental" add on costs are pretty normal these days. Vehicle repairers/ servicers are subject to all sorts of requirements as to handling and storage of oils, disposal costs etc and it's only natural these be "user pays". But maybe someone else can advise if $20.20 is par for the course.

Not so good about scratching the windscreen though. How the hell did they do that?
Be interesting to see what response you get from your e-mail.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Hayseed  Nice to hear from you (that seems to be a similar amount to what others pay at the dealer) I get Mates Rates from a service centre...

Like many others on here I supply my own oil (Castrol Edge Sport 5w-30) which occasionally specials out at Repco or Supercheap at $30-$35 (so next time doing that should save you a lazy $60+) Not familiar with Repsol oil must google it for some feedback...

At that service the only extra cost from your car being a diesel (like mine is) is the fact that it must be a fully synthetic oil which is usually a bit dearer...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
Hi Hayseed  Nice to hear from you (that seems to be a similar amount to what others pay at the dealer) I get Mates Rates from a service centre...

Like many others on here I supply my own oil (Castrol Edge Sport 5w-30) which occasionally specials out at Repco or Supercheap at $30-$35 (so next time doing that should save you a lazy $60+) Not familiar with Repsol oil must google it for some feedback...

At that service the only extra cost from your car being a diesel (like mine is) is the fact that it must be a fully synthetic oil which is usually a bit dearer...

Daz, I don't think "fully synthetic" is a requirement per se but rather that it meets the "B4" spec.  Of course, this can't be reached by lesser oils but if a non-synthetic can do it then it's good enough to be used as I understand it. Having said that, the oil you use is technically not "fully" synthetic as I've said elsewhere.

I'm not knocking it, I used it for ~7,000km but I do believe that you get what you pay for most times.

WRT to Repsol, I didn't come up with much other than it appears to be a Spanish company and is fairly new to Oz (website still to be completed) and their main site gave me a 404 when attempting to look at specs for the first most likely oil I found described as 5w40.  Not a good introduction.

The price charged would buy good oil. Perhaps it is, but for the miles done to date you could probably get by with a good (Spanish) extra virgin olive oil. :lol:

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
When I went to pick the car up, the guy at the service desk assured me that they'd used a 'fully synthetic' oil. I mentioned the brand of oil to a friend and he was fairly positive about it - saying it was the only oil that he was willing to use on his motorbikes. So hopefully there isn't going to be any problems with it.

I'll let you folks know what sort of response I get from the dealer from my email. Will be curious to see what sort of response I get.

Offline MelWA

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      W.A.

• MY09, SLX CRDI, Moonlight Blue, 5sp man
Don't feel bad hayseed.  My SLX CRDi has only done 7600km.  I got it on 24th January last year  :lol:  My 12 month/15K service in January this year cost $321 with around 6500km on the clock.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

For that sort of $$$ they could have given you Mobil one which retails for around $60 I think...I can't think of a mineral based or semi-synthetic oil that is listed as suitable for the i30 CRDi (I stand to be corrected)

Pip
I mentioned the brand of oil to a friend and he was fairly positive about it - saying it was the only oil that he was willing to use on his motorbikes.

Yes, I was going to mention that the only hits I got for users were bikers. I have no idea how that translates for car use and have no reason to suspect it isn't good oil. Particularly at the price charged one would have to assume it's good.

The ACEA B4 specification needs to be met for warranty reasons. There have been dealers that have used the wrong oil noted here.

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
Soo, I have gotten a response from the dealer - a phone call from the Service Manager.

They've apologised for the state of the car and have also offered another complimentary wash and vacuum at my convenience to be done to my satisfaction - if only they knew how picky I can be!

Also, apparently the windscreen was not scratched with the removal of the original service sticker, but glue residue left behind. There also an apology for not explaining this to me when I picked the car up after the first service.

I'll be taking a closer look to find out whether or not that's true 'cause it really did look like someone had scratched the windscreen. But if it were just glue residue, that would make me a lot happier as that's a lot easier to remove!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Glue residue makes more sense as it takes a lot of effort (and maybe something with a diamond tip) to scratch glass by hand.
I would take the dealer up on his offer and use them again next time as, if they have a decent customer tracking system, they'll have flagged the issues you've complained about and will know to be more careful in future.
Let's face it. Everyone's entitled to screw up occasionally.
My view has always been, if you change doctors/ dentists/ mechanics/ plumbers etc the first time they do something you're not happy with you'll be using a new one everytime.
Give 'em another chance I say.
Repsol oils have been around forever in bikes. Pretty sure they were a sponsor of Mick Doohan. So they've either expanded into car type oils or they've been doing them forever but not necessarily in Oz.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt - where they're located is really convenient in terms of where I work for dropping the car off for services, etc.

Having a good relationship with a local dealer is something I would prefer to have, rather than do without.

The guy I spoke to sounded very keen in terms of ensuring customer satisfaction - so here's hoping she'll be apples.

PS: Thanks to everyone who's read/responded to this thread. It's heartening to know that there are others in the world who think of their i30s as highly as I do!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's all good hayseed (seriously think about buying some Castrol Edge on special and getting them to put it in at the next service it is quite adequate for our cars and A$60 saving is nothing to be sneezed at...).

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
They've apologised for the state of the car and have also offered another complimentary wash and vacuum at my convenience to be done to my satisfaction - if only they knew how picky I can be!

So that's no more car washing for you then.....................

Free car wash for life :lol: :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal