i30 Owners Club

Fuel Prices,

Lakes · 109 · 28483

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
just thinking back to 2008 we were paying $2 per Lt for diesel as china was stocking up for Olympics.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
A link to the current oil price.  $47.30 per barrel at the moment.  I hope it goes up!!

:link: Oil Prices & Energy News: Crude Oil Price Charts, Investment Advice

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Diesel prices are still lagging badly. Some places have gotten to 99.9c/L for E10, but diesel is still at 130.9c/L or so. It is ripping us off, as the relative price difference as a percentage between petrol and diesel has increased.

Also for premium 95RON I see that the price difference from e10 remains at about 14c/L more expensive (or about 10-11c/L more than 91RON). I remember when I first got a car which required 95RON in 2002, the difference then was only 4c/L from unleaded which at the time was about 75c/L. Again this price differential should be decreasing.

Con i was in Sydney for a week , just got back home yesterday , i managed to get BP Ultimate Diesel for $1.16 they had E10 @ $99.9 thats at North Rocks

oil is $40us barrel

$99.9. Wow that is expensive!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
A link to the current oil price.  $47.30 per barrel at the moment.  I hope it goes up!!

:kissmyass: :fum: :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Or you won't be?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Or you won't be?

Employed!!!
Hence you won't be going up. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
 :goodjob:

At the moment there is a lot of talk about supply outstripping demand.  This isn't true, they are going about level par.  What is happening is that people are speculating that there will be an excess of supply, so selling off their future purchases, driving the price down.

My job is secure at the moment (the joys of a long contract), but a lot of companies have reduced their exploration budget (Conoco have reduced their worldwide exploration by $15 billion, that's right, it starts with a "b").  Other companies will continue to explore otherwise their lease will expire and it will end up costing them money).

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In the UK we pay 58 pence per litre duty on fuel - plus VAT at 20% which is also charged on the duty - hence the total tax per litre amounts to 70 pence. At current exchange rates this equals 1.30 Australian dollars per litre.

Therefore - if the UK fuel companies and the service stations gave away fuel for free - we would still be paying more in tax per litre than you chaps pay in total at the pumps down under.

On behalf of the UK - I claim bragging rights for being ripped off on fuel prices...........you guys have far less to moan about. :TutTut: :Dunno:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That may be so, but we have further to drive to get anywhere. Adelaide to Melbourne 770 kms, or Adelaide to Perth 2793 kms.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
That may be so, but we have further to drive to get anywhere. Adelaide to Melbourne 770 kms, or Adelaide to Perth 2793 kms.

Lands End to John o Groats is 1350 kms but few people drive it..... :whistler:

When I used to visit Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth it was cheaper and quicker to fly than drive the long distances. I would wager than very few people regularly drive huge distances.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Lands End to John o Groats is 1350 kms but few people drive it..... :whistler:

When I used to visit Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth it was cheaper and quicker to fly than drive the long distances. I would wager than very few people regularly drive huge distances.

Alan i drive or ride everywhere, see more of our country that way.
i've meet people riding Pushy's around the country too that is a challenge, but as i'm profoundly deaf, would be risky ( looking into ear implant )
just wondering how much food & water it would take to ride around Australia? probably need a lot of bike spares too

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid:

I've done a 5000km drive and have a mate that did a 9000km drive (in a 40 y/o Combi) Lots of our Aussie Members do 1000 km drives regularly..

You blokes in the UK won't even do 50km drives to catch up for a cuppa  :whistler: (with exceptions)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I did 860 km in one day two days ago. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
In the last year or so, 3500 to Darwin and a bit over 4000 on the return journey (to see more sights).
Driven to Cairns (plus a bit) from Brisbane and back (1700 + klms each way. Numerous trips between Brisbane and Sydney (1000 klms each way) Brisbane to Adelaide and back (5000 klms round trip).
Brisbane to Melbourne (close to 4000 klms round trip). At least twice.
Numerous long weekend getaways of 1000 to 1500 klms
When I was rallying in the early days if an event was less than 500 MILES overnight we would complain. They shortened over the years but still were good for 500 Kilometers by the time I stopped.

Driving. It's the only way to fly.  :P

BTW. The country is filled with grey nomads who travel for months at a time.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Dazzler
You blokes in the UK won't even do 50km drives to catch up for a cuppa ...

It's 'cos the weather's always shit and there's nowhere nice to go and hide from it  :undecided:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I cant find a list for the current date but this list is from the Bloomberg.com website January 2013, look what Venezuela pay's :Shocked:

1.Turkey – $9.89 per gallon

2.Norway $9.63 per gallon (and the only large oil-producing country with high gas cost, as they use oil profits for services to the population, e.g., free college for citizens)

3.Netherlands – $9.09 per gallon (it is interesting that the Dutch has the most bicycles per capita in the world)

4.Italy – $8.87 per gallon (it cost the same for Italians to fill up their tanks each week as it does to buy a weeks worth of food)

5.Portugal – $8.82 per gallon (64% of this price goes towards taxes, which went up over 10 years ago to help protect the environment)

And the 5 countries that pay the least per gallon of gasoline?
1.Venezuela – $0.06 per gallon, where according to the article, “the cost of filling up the 39-gallon tank of a Chevrolet Suburban in Venezuela is $2.34, compared with $128.31 in the U.S. and $385.71 in Turkey”.

2.Saudi Arabia – $0.45 per gallon

3.Kuwait – $0.81 per gallon

4.Egypt – $1.14 per gallon

5.United Arab Emirates – $1.77 per gallon

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

2.Norway $9.63 per gallon (and the only large oil-producing country with high gas cost, as they use oil profits for services to the population, e.g., free college for citizens)

It's not a free education then, is it?  Somebody is paying for it!!  In this case, people who buy fuel (ie. citizens).

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Craig were they imperial Gal or Us gal? there is a lot of confusion as i think imp gal = 4.54L & us gal = 3.70L

also south american country's have a lot of ethanol in there fuel think they use sugar to produce it, my friend in Reo used to talk carb jetting with me as we both had very old Harley's . he used to have to jet a lot richer, than i did & told me they had bad fuel.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Craig were they imperial Gal or Us gal? there is a lot of confusion as i think imp gal = 4.54L & us gal = 3.70L

also south american country's have a lot of ethanol in there fuel think they use sugar to produce it, my friend in Reo used to talk carb jetting with me as we both had very old Harley's . he used to have to jet a lot richer, than i did & told me they had bad fuel.
US gallons I would think, Bloomberg is an American website.

I found a much more recent ( November 2014 ) dedicated statisics webpage list here :link: ? Gasoline: fuel prices around the world 2014 | Statistic

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thank's Craig

i just saw the local BP selling Diesel @ $1.23 so getting cheaper E10 $1.20 & BP Ultimate 98 $1.37

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
In the Netherlands i'm paying € 1.47/L  for EURO 95 but you get € 1.40 if you shop around. Just across the border in Belgium it's € 1.35 approx.

Dave
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
If people knew the real reason why fuel prices are falling, they wouldn't be so happy .
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If people knew the real reason why fuel prices are falling, they wouldn't be so happy .
So what your take on the real reason fuel prices are falling? I was lead to believe it's from an over surplus of oil in storage :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've heard it's because the Yanks are trying to stuff some other countries economies (but there is always a lot of yank bashing on social and other media)  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
So what your take on the real reason fuel prices are falling? I was lead to believe it's from an over surplus of oil in storage :undecided:

Not true.  There is no oversupply.  The markets "think" that there will be an oversupply, so the price has dropped on the future oil sales (most oil is pre-sold at a pre-arranged price).  Exploration for new fields has "slowed" as the current price of oil isn't worth the expenditure in far out fields.

Word at work is that oil below $50 per barrel will force out the shale oil companies ($50 per barrel is where it is economically viable to produce shale oil).  Also, the Russians need the oil price high to finance the country.  Just like the resources are going south for Australia is bad news, oil going south for Russia is worse.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I was lead to believe , the I S, is financed by oil $ too. is that true?

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I was lead to believe , the I S, is financed by oil $ too. is that true?

That is what I am lead to believe.  With the price low they aren't getting as many dollars per barrel, so their income is reduced.  They won't stop producing though, as their cost to recover is quite low.  When I was in the ME a few years back, oil could be recovered from the ground for about $2 US per barrel!!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well it's going up, $50 n up.
I have been out of action this week, but drove to a BP I know in Sydney got BP ultimate Diesel $1.17.9 so was happy as my Hi-Lux 4D4 has larger tank & more thirst that my i30 CRDi
But does the job I need it too  , so no complaint

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal