i30 Owners Club

Message Playback

Offline Georgie_girl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Redlands, Qld
Hi

First of all I am in Australia in case that changes the advice.

I have a 2014 I30 and when I first bought it I had an old HTC mobile and without changing any settings on my phone my sms were read out through the audio (interrupting the music playing just like a call) and I could say reply and dictate my msg then say send.  I have since had 2 other HTC mobiles and neither could do that.

I am now ready to replace my mobile again and was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have a recent mobile here in Australia that is doing that before I commit to another mobile that isn't fully compatible.

Thanks.
  • 2014 i30 5d Hatch Petrol 1.8 Manual Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Message compatibility wasn't a feature with my GD-01 stereo though it does work via Apple CarPlay on the GD-03 unit, I haven't tested whether messages would work over Bluetooth  :undecided:

Off topic question...your signature says petrol 1.6ltr :confused: are you sure that's correct as the 1.6ltr petrol in GD models only came in the Czech built 3dr and tourer wagon :undecided: unless it's a GD SR which came with a 2ltr engine all other Korean models for Australia were a 1.8ltr

Offline Georgie_girl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Redlands, Qld
Thanks, that was probably a typo.
  • 2014 i30 5d Hatch Petrol 1.8 Manual Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks, that was probably a typo.
Fixed it for ya :) You'll have to go into your Profile/Look and Layout and adjust your forum time though for your locality.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Georgie Girl,

Wow! I was surprised to hear your 2014 did that. My wife's Euro built 2014 Tourer has bluetooth but she doesn't bother pairing it with her basic android phone.

Hopefully someone will see the topic who has had similar experiences and can advise.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Hi, this was a feature of Windows Mobile based phones - reading out SMS messages.

Was your original HTC running Windows?

Are the new HTC running Andriod? This would explain why this feature is no longer available.

I had this feature on my previous Nokia Windows mobile.
  • MY18 PD SR Premium (Polar White)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If they're now Android, there would be a few dozen apps that do text-to-speech. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal