i30 Owners Club

Dash cam installation advice

JC087 · 6 · 1726

Offline JC087

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Since I own a blackvue dash cam (front only) since I bought the car and had it installed on day 1. I am planning to upgrade it to dual channel so I can have the rear one installed.

However, since my car has panorama sunroof, has anyone attempted to install the dual channel dash cams with the car that has sunroof? Especially connecting the power to the engine for parking mode recording.

Any pointers and guides would be greatly appreciated since I am not an experienced person to do such thing.
  • 2018 i30 SR Premium PD2

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Rather the powering the cam off the vehicle battery which in the long term shortens its life you have the option of using a dedicated parking mode battery :link: Cellink NEO Dash Cam Battery Pack | DASH CAMS AUSTRALIA

Simple to tap into the vehicles cabin fuse box, personally I charge the battery from the front wiper fuse so that charging only takes place while ignition is on as charging from the accessories fuse will still drain your vehicle battery if the car isn’t running.

I can’t help much with the rear cam wiring route as I’ve not looked at a panoramic roof model though surely there is access down the roof edge or floor/carpet edges under kick panels.

Offline JC087

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Rather the powering the cam off the vehicle battery which in the long term shortens its life you have the option of using a dedicated parking mode battery :link: Cellink NEO Dash Cam Battery Pack | DASH CAMS AUSTRALIA

Simple to tap into the vehicles cabin fuse box, personally I charge the battery from the front wiper fuse so that charging only takes place while ignition is on as charging from the accessories fuse will still drain your vehicle battery if the car isn’t running.

I can’t help much with the rear cam wiring route as I’ve not looked at a panoramic roof model though surely there is access down the roof edge or floor/carpet edges under kick panels.

Thanks for the tip and the link.

I am sure someone who come in and give some tips re my car if they have similar. Let's see.

Offline JC087

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Man, only 30 minutes ago - I finished installing the new dashcam - Blackvue 750S-2CH, it was a bit of a pain in the ass to install in my i30 SRP, especially that I have sunroof.

However, I managed to make it all work. I didnt need the roof to hook it up so I lined up the cable to charge the rear cam, you would need to order 10m coax as 6m is still a bit short, so screw that. I lined the cable to the floor, placing under the floor mats then alining towards to the back seat, beside the front passenger seat, then through the back seat, and placed the rest of the cables in where the spare tire compartment.. apparently, the floor cover has a hole already designed to input cables through.. which was useful. I lined the rest of the cable to the back window under the soft parts of the boot lining and the hard ....well, hard to explain but I will post pics over the weekend, if it is helpful? 

(bear with me, english is my second language and I am deaf so)

But I got the dashcam set up working! (except for the parking FMF though - will hook it up later)

Offline JC087

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Ok, here is the update. Myself and my housemate managed to do much better.

Here is the dash cam I upgraded the other day: Front dash cam - :link: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

We installed the PMP, the set up was pain in the ass because the instructions was not clear enough but thank god for internet to source more information as the first set up was a fail but my housemate figured out - the accessory cable (yellow) was tied to a fuse that works with window wipers which is a switch mode and the battery cable (red) was tied to the fuse which works with the drivers electric seat which gets constant power 24/7 which did the trick. Here is the picture where the PMP sits now:  :link: Imgur: The magic of the Internet  All the wiring is from the dashcam is under the moulds, which we pulled out and hid the cables inside which was great -- the female cig power is hidden under the fuse box, which is out of view.

When we finished the set up of the PMP to the dashcam. We figured we would fix the cabling for the rear view dashcam, we stuffed the cables under the moulding on the floor at the passenger's side, and ran the cable through the where the airbags are near the seats but we did put the cables BEHIND the airbags so it doesn't interfere and then ran the cables where the red lines are in the this photo: :link: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

We ran the cables through the hard moulds and soft ones for the rear, as you can see the red lines on the photo --
Rear dashcam - :link: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The dashcam package brings in 6m of coax cable, which is too short, so I ordered 10m and if you see the thick line of red line I did on the photo above, that is the left over of the coax cable hidden inside.

Also, with the coax cable going through the black thing on the boot door, tie the cable to a cable tie and then put it through and pull it with the cable tie at the end, to make it easier.

I hope this helps you all!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cheers for the heads up. Thanks for sharing.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal