1.6 CRDi 116 BHP Chiptuning Tuningbox

jason117 · 56 · 19812

Offline jason117

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Mum says I'm special...Newcastle NSW
    • Flickr Photos
Back in October '09 I purchased a tuning box via ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200300682655 and the results were very surprising. It only cost around $130aud so I wasnt expecting much, but I put the car on a chassis dynamometer last week and got the real story.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Jason,

I can't get that link to your video to work...Sounds like your car is pretty special now too.. :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jason117

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Flickr Photos

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Jason got it working now...So the table shows some good gains.. and the driveability/response is much improved  :question:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jason117

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Flickr Photos
Much improved Daz. The torque seems to come in around 1600rpm and is smoother in it's delivery. I took the box out of the car for a month or two and began to wonder if there was any decrease in performance without it but it seems my mind was playing tricks on me. Hooked it back up and the smile returned to my face. :razz:

Offline akyuznet

• 2nd Gear
Hi

I have questions about this box?

1.does this box help fuel saving?

2.the setup of the box easy?

Offline jason117

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Flickr Photos
Very easy to set up. Simply remove the plastic cover over the top of your engine ( 2 small bolts ) and the wiring is then in plain sight. Unclick the connectors (x2) and attatch the tuning box wiring in it's place. Refit the plastic cover and job done!

I havent seen any gain in fuel economy but I dont usually drive my car in this mode anyhow. For me it is about the performance it offers and I'm pleased with what I've got. Perhaps fuel economy will be improved but I cannot say for sure, sorry.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Jason, good to see someone post a dyno graph comparition, looks like a good gain.
does the car blow black smoke when you give iut the stick off the mark?
how many dyno runs did they do stock for a baseline before useing the tuning box?

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Can you adjust the box like others or are the settings set?

Offline jason117

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Flickr Photos
Lakes, I only notice some smoke at night when I pull away from traffic lights and the car behind's headlamps show the smoke, but it is only minor and similar to the standard tune without the box.
We did 3 runs without the box to get an average and the same with the box fitted. The variation was only minor, eg 109.4hp 110.2hp and 109.9hp (from memory). The dyno's computer then calculated the corrected figure.
Sparki, this box is not adjustable unlike others on the market.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Hey jason117 do you have another graph showing torque? Could we see that?

Offline jason117

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Flickr Photos
The actual torque figure is misleading as per the photo so ignore the numbers. We didn't actually measure the amount of torque as a figure, rather just as an improvement over standard. We were running out of time and I had confirmation of the improvement so I was happy to let the Dyno man go home ( at 8.30pm ).He'd had a long day.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4763082883_1b00b954f6.jpg

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline akyuznet

• 2nd Gear
Hi,

I have bought same box but i have a problem. Sometimes, my i30 suddenly stops with vibration. And it does not start at that time. Then i remove the box. After some time i re-setup the box. It works well for a time.. then stops working..

Does somebody face this kind of problem?

My car: 2010 i30 cw 1.6 diesel

I have another question. Without the box, if i disconnect the cable from the engine. engine does not start. Is it normal?

Thank you.

Offline jason117

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Flickr Photos
'Without the box, if i disconnect the cable from the engine. engine does not start. Is it normal?'

I'd have to say this is normal as the the wiring sends the information to the ecu and if it's unplugged, theres no communication and thus no start.

Regarding the vibrations, I'm sorry but I dont have an answer for this one.

Jase

Offline akyuznet

• 2nd Gear
Hi,

I found the problem of the CR-Box.. The problem occurs near Tv antenna transmitters. The TV antennas effects the CR-Box and it  does not work there. ı am trying to find a solution to protect cr-box from magnetic field.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi,

I found the problem of the CR-Box.. The problem occurs near Tv antenna transmitters. The TV antennas effects the CR-Box and it  does not work there. ı am trying to find a solution to protect cr-box from magnetic field.

Until you find a solution can you still get to your destination without driving near the TV antennas?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline akyuznet

• 2nd Gear
Yes, you are right. I only go to that place to try magnetic shields.

Offline Eiki

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark

• 1.6 CRDI And loving it
Hi I have a 1,6 115hp diezel that has a manual 5 speed year 2008 with 40.000 on the clock.
Now I have been using a powerchip for 1 year and the results are amazing.
It has aproximately 135 hp and from day 1 was there a huge difference in torque and I kan feel the extra HORSES  :)
But as an bonus the consumtion is amaizing I have driven around 900 km this weekend mostly on highways and the consumtion reads 3,4Ltr/100km with 3 persons aboard.
Normal in town, short trips it reads 4,5 to 5,5 Ltr/100km
In july I made a 2800km trip with an adria camper (Weight 1000kg) and it used 6,2Ltr/100Km
My car is not for sale  :)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Eiki ,
what powerchip are you useing?
my own car is a 08 model 5 speed too 1.6 CRDi i'm not sure what it's hp rateing is but it goes ok.
what country are you in?
i'm in Australia

Offline Eiki

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark

• 1.6 CRDI And loving it
Hi I am in Denmark.
I bought the chip on the internet from a firm in Germany.

http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning/Hyundai-I20-1-6-CRDi-3333-r.html

The price was around 150 euro with freight. I bought the standard chip not the race one.   
It takes 5 minutes to install and from that moment you will simply love the engine  :)
Driving on highway with only 100km.h. it goes up to or down to 3.1 ltr/100km
And there is huge increase in torque and power.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Xamaxy
Superb job Eiki, and i have one tiny thing to recommend you. If you have a good friend in hyundai service or if you are generally in good terms with them, try to take them for a ride with diagnostic laptop connected to car. Just too see is everything "in green". You drive it all gears (except last ofc) till red rpm and they tell you if everything checks out. :wink:

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
I have the Race chip Pro, and I still haven't had any problems with it over 85,00kms and used over two i30s. This has been documented elsewhere on this forum. In fact I now forget I have it, but I have to be mindful come service time at Hyundai.

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
I have the Race chip Pro, and I still haven't had any problems with it over 85,00kms and used over two i30s. This has been documented elsewhere on this forum. In fact I now forget I have it, but I have to be mindful come service time at Hyundai.

Do you get similar fuel economy savings after you installed?  Apart from the power gains I'd see the extra fuel savings as a warranty to purchase - over time you'd basically pay it off.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
and used over two i30s.   :lol: :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Hi clackerz. I found the fuel economy slightly better. The best I got out of a tank was 1300km exactly. That was from a completely full tank.

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Hmm sounds tempting then.  Curently I'm getting an avg 980kms - city driving

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Near enuff I 'spose.  I fill it until it clicks, then wait a bit and continue filling, proll do this 2-3 times.....

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal