Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
"ns"
"ns"

I gave the new car its first clean today and the thing that struck me was how much easier it is to clean the wheels. OK - the new Style car's 16" wheels are probably not as trendy as the previous Premium model's 17" wheels with the chrome inserts - but the spoke design is so much easier to clean.

The double spokes are set further apart at the hub and they are tapered so the gap is wider at the front than the back which makes it so much easier to see between them and get a brush in to clean them. Where they join the wheel rim there is a tapered cut-away which again aids cleaning. Full marks to Hyundai - a very practical design.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

DPF regeneration after only 280 miles too. I thought the interval would be much longer than that.

I know it is acedemic but the car had 318 miles on the odometer when I got home. You are right though - it does seem a short interval especially because we did a fast 60 mile round trip by motorway on Monday which followed my fun run on Sunday morning where speeds reached....I dare not mention.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hyundai seem to be putting similar, stylish and relatively easy to clean alloys on all their new models..  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hyundai seem to be putting similar, stylish and relatively easy to clean alloys on all their new models..  :goodjob:

Which is a great thing given that as my knees get older they object to carrying out their core function.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Which is a great thing given that as my knees get older they object to carrying out their core function.  :)

Mine are the same (only they are a year older)  :disapp:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Mine are the same (only they are a year older)  :disapp:

So you've been on your knees more than I have  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have carried out a preliminary fuel economy check on the new car over a 66.1 km route included 3 sections of urban roads totalling 22.5 km (which had a total of 14 traffic lights and 22 T junctions/ road islands) and 2 sections of motorway totalling 43.6 km.

I have driven the route twice in identical weather and road conditions.

On the first trip
I drove for economy – using a light touch on the throttle, keeping within the urban speed limits and aiming to cruise at about 60 mph (96 km/h) on the motorway.

On the second trip
I drove without regard to economy – accelerating quickly, overtaking slower traffic and exceeding the speed limits when safe to do so. I aimed to cruise at 70 mph (112 km/h) on the motorway.

Examination of my Garmin sat-nav trip logs produces the following data.

"ns"

"ns"

These economy figures are a dramatic improvement compared with my previous 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi 6 spd manual. Hopefully, I can look forward to even better figures when the engine has loosened up in a few thousand miles.

As you will see from the graphic - the route I chose for the tests is not exactly flat. It has 6 significant inclines covering an overall altitude difference of 80 metres (260 feet). Unfortunately, it is not possible in the new model to see the effect of the hills on the instant trip data with any accuracy - because the previous digital number is now replaced by a graphic bar with no scale.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:22:33 by AlanHo »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's great, considering it will improve over time. Are the reports built in Garmin functions, or have you extracted the raw data from Garmin & created these yourself.  :question:  :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Thanks for the review, Alan.

I am a bit confused over the model designators. Here in Australia we have the base model, the SX, then the SLX (which I have) and the SR for the top of the range model.

I don't know what they will be calling the new models here, or indeed, when we'll be seeing them.

Further, the engine that yours has, is it the same as what we'll be seeing? Mine's the 85kw model.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Are the reports built in Garmin functions, or have you extracted the raw data from Garmin & created these yourself.  :question:  :goodjob:

It's a bit of both. I can connect my Nuvi to the computer and upload the track logs from the sat-nav into the Garmin Mapsource application on the computer.

Each time you take a trip the nuvi records the track taken by taking data at regular intervals only few metres apart. This data includes the co-ordinates, exact date and time to the second, and altitude for each point recorded.  There were 592 log points in the route I took.

You can display the track of each log in Mapsource to show where the car has travelled on the map - and you can look at the log window to see each point that was plotted and the associated data. 

The coloured trip elevation in my post is a standard print-out onto which I have photoshopped the leg info.

The average speeds and the length of each leg can by obtained by highlighting the first point on the leg and dragging the cursor down the list to capture the last point. A window at the bottom of the display then gives you the average speed and overall length of the part of the log track you have highlighted. I typed this info into a small Word table which is what appears in my post.

The log does not store the speed of the car at each point - this is determined in Mapsource which calculates the distance between the points - deducts their times to calculate the time taken between them - and calculates the speed from that.

The map in my post is a screen capture of the Mapsource map with the route displayed.

I hope you have managed to follow this - it's easier to show someone than describe it.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks for the review, Alan.

I am a bit confused over the model designators. Here in Australia we have the base model, the SX, then the SLX (which I have) and the SR for the top of the range model.

I don't know what they will be calling the new models here, or indeed, when we'll be seeing them.

Further, the engine that yours has, is it the same as what we'll be seeing? Mine's the 85kw model.

I am not able to help you with model designations for each market.

The UK series one car came in 3 models - Classic, Comfort and Premium. You had SX, SLX and SR.

However the equipment levels for each market are different - your SX is not the same as our Classic etc. It is all jolly confusing.

The new car has been launched in the UK with different model names, they are now Classic, Active, Style and Style Nav. Each have more features than the previous model.

The engine range has also changed. We now get :-

1.4 petrol 100PS manual. Available in all models
1.6 petrol 120PS auto. Available only in Active model. Hence you cannot have a 1.6 petrol manual or a petrol auto in the higher spec cars

1.4 diesel 90PS manual. Available only in Classic and Active models
1.6 diesel 110PS manual. Available in all models
1.6 diesel 110PS auto. Not available in Classic model.
1.6 diesel 128PS manual. Available only in Style and Style-Nav models. Hence you cannot have an auto version of the most powerful engine.

Just across the Irish sea - Ireland get the new model range :-

1.4 100PS petrol Elite manual
1.4 90PS diesel Elite manual
1.6 110PS diesel Elite Plus manual
1.6 110PS diesel Elite Plus auto

Ireland don't get the 128PS diesel version. I have no idea how the feature list compares with the UK - I'm just amazed that the cars are so different each side of the border.

What I do know - from the UK Hyundai Product Manager - is that each market requests the specification they wish to sell in their own patch. The cars are then produced to suit each market's preferences. The Owners Manual that came with my car has a bewildering number of variations and options not applicable to the UK range - it really is a feast of pick and mix.

You guys in Australia should be petitioning your Hyundai Head Office now to see whether you can ensure they are aware of your wish list - before the launch is cast in stone.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:34:01 by AlanHo »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My best (educated) guess is around mid year for the new model to be released in Australia and I would expect the new models to go from SX,SLX and SR to Active, Elite and Premium as per the i45 and i40 etc..

As to what motors we will get I was expecting the 1.6 petrol and the 128 BHP Diesel (and maybe even the 1.4 Petrol) but there is talk we may only get a 1.8 GDi Petrol (as per the Elantra) and the only motor that USA is apparently getting  :confused:

So I better have a word with some of my contacts in that regard  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:whsaid:
The email to Hyundai dealerships that I have referred to before said that the i30 will be a 1.8 litre petrol.
As far as model designation goes, I'd go with the uniformity that Active, Elite & Premium would give them in realtion to the other cars in the Australian model range.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Ah, the idiosyncrisies of the global model concept.

When I was in the US a few years ago I saw a Camry. It looked nothing like ours, even though both were the same model year.

I'm wondering what the US's version of the i30 looks like, then.

As for the engine disparties between markets, it would be great to get the higher spec diesel here.

And as for the 126ps (whatever a "ps" is) diesel only coming with a manual on the high end models, I wish that was the same here. Only reason why we didn't get the SR was because it's stuck with the ancient 3sp/with overdrive auto.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
(whatever a "ps" is)

PS is metric horsepower.... :)

PS full name - Pferdestärke is a German translation of horsepower
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
One Horsepower is equal to 1.01 PS.......well, near enough anyhow....  :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Pulls Stuff.

So long as it doesn't stand for Piston Slap.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
What's the point of having a "metric horsepower" when the supposed metric is (kilo/mega/giga)watts?

Anyway, I worked it out via a converter on my Android phone. Looks like the new diesel pumps out about 90 something kilowatts. Maybe they bought a heap of those performance chip kits off of that guy on Ebay...
 :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What's the point of having a "metric horsepower" when the supposed metric is (kilo/mega/giga)watts?

Anyway, I worked it out via a converter on my Android phone. Looks like the new diesel pumps out about 90 something kilowatts. Maybe they bought a heap of those performance chip kits off of that guy on Ebay...
 :cool:

It's probably 94 as is the new accent CRDi :whistler:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The Service book clearly spells out the Warranty Limits for certain components as follows :-

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I at last got around to synchronising one of my mobile phones (Samsung GT-E2230)with the car media system. As it happened - it was so easy to do that I didn't have to refer to the owners manual.

I then uploaded the address book from the phone to the car - again an easy and quick operation. Curious about the speech activation I hit the button and told the car to "Call Libby Ho.... - it repeated my instruction then dialled my wife's mobile. T'was very impressive - I had expected to have to fiddle about with settings before it all worked.

However - I believe I have a problem. Many of the contacts stored on my phone have more than one phone number - such as home, mobile, office etc. The upload to the car has loaded only one number for each contact - generally the mobile number. I have not investigated further - but it looks as though I would have to re-organise the phone contact list so that each contact has just one phone number and create extra contacts for persons with multi numbers. Such as AlanHo - Home, AlanHo-Mobile etc. I will not bother - it is too much of a pain so I have deleted my phone contacts list from the car. I will be able to receive calls via bluetooth - and it does this very well and with great voice clarity - but I will have to stop to make a call using the phone itself. Not a problem for me because I so rarely use the phone in the car.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Alan, Very interesting as usual.

I tried to upload my phonebook to the Hybrid from my wildfire and it just hung there in limbo..

I have now swapped to a more basic Sony Ericsen Cedar and must try again. However, until you pointed it out I hadn't thought about those dual numbers under one name (I may have the same issue) Time will tell  :confused:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

To be fair to Hyundai - I just tried synchronising my phone with my Nuvi sat-nav and it exhibits the same problem - but worse. Only one number per contact but it will only recognise mobile numbers. Where contacts have just a home phone they are not transferred.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

These are pretty modern but quite a good device to have for storing phone numbers, names, etc.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
These are pretty modern but quite a good device to have for storing phone numbers, names, etc.

:goodjob2:
 :rofl: :rofl:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal