i30 Owners Club

easiest [without breaking the bank] way of hooking in a reversing cam and dash cam system.

sn · 7 · 2354

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.
Nope - I already bought it.....

2013 GD Wagon, 1.6l petrol, auto, white paint, 33k on the clock.
Fed nothing but BP98 it's whole life.

Bought it from my bosses fleet, only ever been serviced by Johnny Hughes crew.

I have all the log book stuff / can get hold of the mechanics service reports without much trouble.

What I need to know is - easiest [without breaking the bank] way of hooking in a reversing cam and dash cam system.
I don't really want another screen hanging off the dashboard - not too fussed about an aftermarket mirror being stuck onto the face of the original mirror either.
I much prefer unobtrusive mountings and hidden wiring - hate cables draped all over the place.
Is it possible to replace the OEM windscreen mirror with an aftermarket reversing camera display screen/mirror combination, that uses the original mirror mount?

Any potential drivetrain gremlins that I need to know about?

Potential suspension gremlins - upgrades?

Any way of adjusting the speedo so it reads accurate?

Thanks,

Stephen.

• 2013 gd wagon, petrol /auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi Stephen, Alberts Car Stereo and many others can fit reverse mirror cams like the Neltronics units here :link: Neltronics ? Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror with 4.3? Screen & Distance Guide Lines (NSR-43LAD)

I have an earlier type of the same mirror which looks and works great, replaces the factory mirror altogether.

How far out is the speedo? mine used to read 100kph when I was actually doing 92kph on 16" wheels, this is the average factory setting for most vehicles to prevent you from speeding :wink: after changing to 18" wheels it was reduced to a 4kph difference.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
What I need to know is - easiest [without breaking the bank] way of hooking in a reversing cam and dash cam system.
I don't really want another screen hanging off the dashboard - not too fussed about an aftermarket mirror being stuck onto the face of the original mirror either.
I much prefer unobtrusive mountings and hidden wiring - hate cables draped all over the place.
Is it possible to replace the OEM windscreen mirror with an aftermarket reversing camera display screen/mirror combination, that uses the original mirror mount?
I bought this on special for $70. It clips over the existing mirror very strongly and is slightly over-dimensioned, which completely covers the original mirror and gives a better pan arc. You would never guess there's a screen there until you hit reverse.

I powered it directly from the ceiling cluster and ran the video line in the ceiling lining across to the driver's B pillar, then down and over the rear wheel arch and is triggered from the rear right reverse lamp feed. The camera is mounted centrally above the rear licence plate under the bumper overhang, its line sneaking out past one of the plate illumination lenses - easy peasy.

:link: NanoCam Plus Rear View Mirrorand Camera Kit - Wired, 4.3inch, NCP-MIR43 | Supercheap Auto
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.

How far out is the speedo?

Tomtom GPS and roadside speedcheck radar simultaneously say 44 klicks - speedo says 50 klicks, enough to make me public enemy no.1 on freeway or highway speeds [100 / 110 kph]

With some breeds of cars it is possible to dig into the manufacturers ECU and a certain amount of fine tuning of the speedo is able to be done.
No idea if this is possible with Hyundai's - or if anyone local has the gizmo to access the ECU settings.

As for the reversing camera - the wagons tailgate has a square blanking plate above the number plate covering a hole for an OEM camera, I removed the tailgate inner skin and found a wiring harness connection near the camera hole, it would be helpful if I could make use of these!
Just need to sort out the other end - the neltronics replacement mirror looks like the best option so far.

• 2013 gd wagon, petrol /auto

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline sn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth n.o.r.

Offline Fury

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
When you next purchase a set of new tires, you can calculate the difference in percentage with a tire calculator such as :link: Tire size calculator

eg If your speed was  50 and the shown was 55, there is a 10% difference the guide can show profile and size variance of potential fitments that could help. Not a cheap option to replace all your tires, but one day you will need to... so one idea for a possible future reference.

Your tire shop should be able to confirm any potential sizes that are somewhat close to what you need.

They often do this calculation for low profile Mag wheel conversions.

1 vehicle I had, 13" tires were stock. It now has 17" with 45 profile rubber, with the correct rolling diameter. Speedo is perfect. 
Just another idea for future thoughts.
  • 2009 FD SR 5 Door Hatch, petrol 2.0lt, Auto, Red

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal