K & N Air Filter

Guest · 69 · 19011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The Police seemed to have tightened up with getting bombs off the road down here. You don't see  the real bombs with badly smoking exhausts and bits hanging off like you used to...

A few years back there was a bloke in a beaten up old Mazda (think it might have been an 808 wagon)

It had every panel dented like someone had been kicking it and most of the windows were smashed  :wacko:

He appeared to be high on something and he was very angry .. He was backing down a street in the middle of town at about 50 kms an hour  :Shocked:

Scary stuff .. I doubt I will ever forget the sight of that.  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
How is your brother, anyway, Dazz?  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
How is your brother, anyway, Dazz?  :lol:

:P I'm probably the most outgoing of the 3 of us (and even i wouldn't do that)  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
He appeared to be high on something and he was very angry .. He was backing down a street in the middle of town at about 50 kms an hour  :Shocked:

Scary stuff .. I doubt I will ever forget the sight of that.  :disapp:
From what my brother tells me that sort of behaviour is pretty much normal around Glenorchy... :whistler:  :lol:

Offline Karizmatik

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
So, what is the verdict here? As I bought one of these a week ago and my car has been running well so far. I only just saw this thread though and after a bit of back and forth that you guys seem to be having, I'm a little worried -- Ha ha.

Is this safe for my car? If not, I'll go buy a paper one in a heart-beat to replace it. It seems they only cause a problem (Going by comments) for those who incorrectly clean them -- Is this true? If it is, simply solution for me is to buy another one in 50,000 KM's. May seem crazy to some, but $80.00 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things for me if it means better filtering and a better product -- if it is in fact a better alternative to the paper ones.

Thoughts?
  • i30 SLX (2010)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I don't use them, but if you oil according to instructions, there should be no probs.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
So, what is the verdict here? As I bought one of these a week ago and my car has been running well so far. I only just saw this thread though and after a bit of back and forth that you guys seem to be having, I'm a little worried -- Ha ha.

Is this safe for my car? If not, I'll go buy a paper one in a heart-beat to replace it. It seems they only cause a problem (Going by comments) for those who incorrectly clean them -- Is this true? If it is, simply solution for me is to buy another one in 50,000 KM's. May seem crazy to some, but $80.00 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things for me if it means better filtering and a better product -- if it is in fact a better alternative to the paper ones.

Thoughts?

all the knockers who put these filters down, have probably never even used one or had any experience with them,we have owned our Commodore,since new, 23 years, I had a stoker rebuild done on it at four years old(just because I could)once the engine had been gone through the run in period, I replaced the paper filter with a K & N filter, so I  have been running  a K & N in it through a cold ram air system for just under 19 years, not once have I had a problem, as stated many times, if you service the filter regularly, you shouldn't have a problem, but do be aware they DO in fact wear out, in the 19 years I have run one in our old car, I have replaced it twice, so to work out whether your going to get value for money, you got to work out milage your going to do, and how many paper filters you use over the years
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

Thoughts?

clean them regularly, have a good look down the intake post filter and make sure there is no dirt.  I suppose if you are careful enough you shouldn't have problems.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal