i30 Owners Club

Alvin Has A New Spring in his Step

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I have been watching many of the other threads regarding Re chipping of members cars,I have only ever re-chipped one car and that was years ago when I rebuild our V6, from the standard 3.8 Ltr with a upgrade with a 4.1 Stroker kit,fully balanced with mild cam,so decided to have the ECU chip fully remapped for the engine rebuild,with excellent results,anyhow not what I have got to tell.
As many of you know,whgen I killed Cyril,the insurance wouldn't cover the cost to replace him with a comprable diesel I30,so instead we bought Alvin,2 ltr Holden Cruze Turbo Diesel,although we were happy with the purchase of Alvin,he had a few trates which I was unfamilier with after driver Bruce and Cyril for some time,anyhow before this turns into a book,I have been researching plug and play chips,as all I really wanted to do was attempt to eleviate the terrible Turbo Lag the Holden Cruze's seem to have,so some time ago I decided to purchase a simple easily fitted chip from Chip Pwoer in Poland(as this one seemed to have the best stats for the job I wanted it to do)anyhow I have had it installed for about a week now,the claims were that it would solve my turbo lag issue also give better power and fuel economy,after about 250 K's of continuous driving.
Well I can tell you there was a very impressive improvement with the turbo lag within just a few shot kilometres,and after noting down some numbers,after a long trip to Perth and Back Tuesday,there has been a noticable improvement on both power and fuel economy,just on that one trip my fuel usage had gone from a 6.5 L/100 average to 4.8 L/100 average on that trip, so if it keeps going at that rate,it'll only take 10,000 K's to pay for the chip.

I have also fitted some LED heahlights to Alvin,huge improvement in low beam but not a huge improvement in high beam as Alvin is fitted with H4's,so not a huge difference between high and Low beams on city roads but a better result on very dark country roads,but I still wouldn't be without the spotties.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Very good results there Rick, glad to see you're putting your recuperation time to good use :goodjob2: :)

Which were the LED's you installed for low beam as I might look into those for my parents Cruze

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Craig the Cruze's are fitted with H4 globes High/Low beams are in the same globe unlike the H1 and H7 for the Hyundai's,as for the recuperation time being put to good use,you wouldn't believe what I have been able to accomplish,I have had so many photo's to go into the Today's project thread,I'm gunna find it yhard to catch up with it all :lol:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's amazing what we're able to achieve against Doc's advice ( I'm not even supposed to drive :rolleyes: ), I guess you'd do a lot of chores one handed with a dickie shoulder as my mate did after his shoulder op, his would hurt the most when raising the arm above shoulder level and was still quite painful after 6 or so months.

Would you happen to have a link to those H4 LED's by any chance?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great result Rick. All these projects would be going a long way to keeping your pecker up (so to speak) :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
You can't keep a good man down. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good work Rick.

I understand about the recuperation period though.
Not long back I had an umbilical hernia repaired.  Was moving around freely the same night, with no pain or discomfort at all. had a great list of things not to do and for how long.
When I went back to the doc for a checkup in 3 weeks, he commented on how upright I was walking and said I could now start lifting things and even taking out the wheely bins...................................

Oh???

OK Doc. Thanks.  :-[
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal