i30 Owners Club

Blue's iX35 Highlander

Blue · 53 · 15529

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i didn't notice it even had roof bars till you mentioned it.  :-[ :faint: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
i didn't notice it even had roof bars till you mentioned it.  :-[ :faint: :lol:

Ninja Bars  is their new name now mate !!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
As in the Ninja Motorbikes?  :D (I did some googling)  :winker: (the wife's CW has the same)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
You will get plenty of looks if you keep it that clean... :winker:

You know, when the i30 is parked next to it, the i30 looks dark gray !
If you look at the rear bumper...  it looks black on most of the ix35's, on mine, it looks gray !

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You will get plenty of looks if you keep it that clean... :winker:

You know, when the i30 is parked next to it, the i30 looks dark gray !
If you look at the rear bumper...  it looks black on most of the ix35's, on mine, it looks gray !

You mean the plastic bit?. I think that breaks up the black nicely...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I believe they have JUST released a petrol version of the Highlander.

Surprisingly of the 148 Highlanders for sale at the moment on Carsales.Com.... 86 are the petrol version  :eek:

I guess they are a bit cheaper ???

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/results.aspx?Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal%7C0%7C%7CpCar_RankSort_Int32%7C1%7C%7CpCar_Make_String%7C0%7C%7CpCar_Model_String%7C0&N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294745400%204294965579%204294744971&tabID=304727&keywords=&Nne=15

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
oh.. well that suggests they have been around for a while..  I thought I saw somewhere they had just released it..  cant find it now of course!
I do know there is a 6 month waiting list now for a diesel... and I queue jumped!

It is under warranty until... 2019..  (the dealer picks it up after 2016).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

oh.. well that suggests they have been around for a while..  I thought I saw somewhere they had just released it..  cant find it now of course!
I do know there is a 6 month waiting list now for a diesel... and I queue jumped!

It is under warranty until... 2019..  (the dealer picks it up after 2016).

:goodjob:  I noticed that 8 years warranty advertised on an i45 on carsales the other day!

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
:goodjob:  I noticed that 8 years warranty advertised on an i45 on carsales the other day!

Hyundai.. learning FAST

Offline umbro

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Romania

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Blue - Are you going to change your name to Black&Blue.

ps
the ix looks great.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
can you post some interior shots?

I will post some interior shots later today umbro.. its a bit dark here with thick cloud cover this morning.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
A couple of interior shots, as requested.
Some of the leather / dash seems blue in these pics... must be the flash... its black!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yep.. Certainly a nice place to be.. I have been in (and Driven) the Elite version..but only a very short drive..

The interior in the Highlander is a bit flash  :eek: (the seats in the Elite are a bit firm how are they in your car?)

How have you found the Stereo (better than the i30 SLX??)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Yep.. Certainly a nice place to be.. I have been in (and Driven) the Elite version..but only a very short drive..

The interior in the Highlander is a bit flash  :eek: (the seats in the Elite are a bit firm how are they in your car?)

The seats are a bit firm, but I think they will soften with wear.
The stereo is waay better than the i 30's.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The seats are a bit firm, but I think they will soften with wear.
The stereo is waay better than the i 30's.

I can live with firm (I have built in padding) as long as they have a bit of shape which it appears they do.. My Hybrid (Full Leather)seats are fairly firm but comfortable..

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
I can live with firm (I have built in padding) as long as they have a bit of shape which it appears they do.. My Hybrid (Full Leather)seats are fairly firm but comfortable..

You know, funny you said Full Leather, the Highlander has full leather too (Elite is fabric/leather), though the pics make it look like fabric on the seat faces... its that punched style leather.

I thought the i30 was a Torque Monster... This thing nearly rips the bitumen off the road !!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You know, funny you said Full Leather, the Highlander has full leather too (Elite is fabric/leather), though the pics make it look like fabric on the seat faces... its that punched style leather.

I thought the i30 was a Torque Monster... This thing nearly rips the bitumen off the road !!!

It did look like you had material facings (although I thought it was supposed to have full leather) The Leather/ material combo is a bit warmer for Tassie winter climate but at least your perforated leather would breathe in the warm weather..  :goodjob:

I would like a longer test drive in Diesel IX35 ... :mrgreen:

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
oh.. well that suggests they have been around for a while..  I thought I saw somewhere they had just released it..  cant find it now of course!

Yay, found it.. it was on the dealers web site.. BUT.. on closer inspection it was from December..

Snippet here..    http://www.klosterhyundai.com.au/Home 
Details here.. http://www.klosterhyundai.com.au/News/ix35_Highlander_petrol_variant

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Ok Guys, after a week of owning it, I sent Dazz some feedback, and he suggested a shortened version may be worth posting here for those considering buying an ix35.  Grammar sacrificed for Brevity !

Positive.
Torque.  Spades of it.  An absolute wheelbarrow full of it. The R series Diesel is AWESOME.  Revs more like a petrol engine too.
Not a big fan of Auto's, but no choice on the Highlander. Fortunately, it's a good one. Shifts up and down very smoothly. In quasi manual mode you can even force it to set off in second, to reduce the torque when needed.  (Though it doesn't seem to reduce it too much, the car feels almost normal taking off in second !)
Handles like a sedan, very nimble. Sticks to the road pretty well too.
Comfortable to be in, and likes to stretch its legs. It's a long-haul vehicle for sure; looking forward to running up the coast to Brisbane.. Tacho at a bit under 1700RPM at 100kph.
Good ride height, great vision.
Reversing Camera is brilliant.
Keyless entry / start is fantastic.  I wish it had remote start too though.
Did I mention the Torque??? (LOL)

Negative.
My right knee rests against the Drivers Door Speaker Grill while using Cruise Control.. May damage the grill over time..
There is a bit of road noise transmitted to the cabin on Blue Metal Roads.. nothing a slight tap on the stereo's volume control can't fix. I have read that's the 18 inch wheel's fault... and that the 17's or 16's aren't as bad.
The Diesel is a fair bit noisier than the i30's when its cold, or when its under load.  At cruising speed though, can't hear it.
Hill Start Assist.. Nothing wrong with it, just no idea why ANYONE would need it in an Auto... if you can't hill start in an Auto.. hand your license back!
No electric / remote control for the pano roof blinds... and you can't (safely) reach the back one from the drivers seat, so if its shut when you leave.. it stays shut, and vice versa.  Unless you get out and move it.
The aircon outlets on the drivers side are BOTH located right behind your hands (you can aim the air away though)... getting a blast of cold air onto your face is pretty hard to achieve because of it though.
I personally don't like having no height adjustment on the passenger seat.. I raise mine up a bit, and the seats look odd, as they are at different heights now... no big deal, just a Bluism.. it bugs me.

If anyone has any specific questions... I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Blue (Perfect)  :goodjob:

I only got up to about 80kph in the few kilometres around Burnie that I test drove an ix35 Elite Diesel about 6 or 8 months ago.. I wish now I had got up to highway speeds... It was from a cold start and the chug of the Diesel being a lot louder than the i30 CRDi did put me off a bit.. But as I said in the PM trish is not a fan of soft roaders so I was only driving it out of curiosity...

Not taking anything away from your Highlander though. From what you have said I reckon I would fall in love with one if it were in our Garage  :mrgreen:

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Thanks Blue (Perfect)  :goodjob:

I only got up to about 80kph in the few kilometres around Burnie that I test drove an ix35 Elite Diesel about 6 or 8 months ago.. I wish now I had got up to highway speeds... It was from a cold start and the chug of the Diesel being a lot louder than the i30 CRDi did put me off a bit.. But as I said in the PM trish is not a fan of soft roaders so I was only driving it out of curiosity...

Not taking anything away from your Highlander though. From what you have said I reckon I would fall in love with one if it were in our Garage  :mrgreen:

Cheers Dazz. I was in love with the Quad Cam Toyota...  then this torque monster came along... lucky there are no vows involved!!!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal