i30 Owners Club

Eeeeeeek! AKA Bumpkin's New iX20

Guest · 71 · 18233

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Went for a bit of a wander around some dealers today and popped into Chevrolet to look at the Cruze.  Not as well appointed or built as the i30 IMHO, but you know how it is, had to ask for a trade-in deal just to see....

On a 2.0VCDi LT + CS lowering kit, alloys and spoilers I was quoted just shy of £20,000, but they would take it down to about £17500 by removing the 5 year promise (still 5 year warranty, but no included servicing or MOT).

OK says I, what kind of price for the i30 with 13500 miles (you folks all know the rest of my spec so I won't bore you!)

6K!!!!!!!!!!

That's 50% depreciation in 2.5 years on a car which I got for 5K less than list price anyway.  Sorry says I, thanks but no thanks.  Must visit the Hyundai dealer and see what they are offering..................however I guess the i30 will be on my driveway for quite some time to come!!

Sent from my 1000ET
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
£2,500 seems a bit steep for 5 years service and MOT.

When I got my 130 last year the second hand prices seemed very high, which was one thing which convinced me to get one. They seemed to have dropped quite a bit last time I looked though. Anyone would think there was an economic crisis or summat.

Probably keep mine for quite a few years anyway.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
They seem to be holding their price well over here.. 2nd hand i30's are scarce in the yards in Tassie..but looking Australia Wide on Carsales.com even though there are a fair few to choose from the Diesels and CW's in particular are top $$$ (Compared to other cars in their class)  :cool:

Would cars like yours sell privately for say around 8-9K in Scotland Brian? (It is a pretty snazzy looking machine)

11,500 Pounds is a lot of changeover to find... :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The dealer its just offering auction price, I guess he's not interested in it really.

Sent from my Blade

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm interested to see what the Hyundai dealer will offer also,Brian. keep us posted mate.  :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The dealer its just offering auction price, I guess he's not interested in it really.

Sent from my Blade
Whilst the dealer is perhaps not interested in the i30, he is obviously not interested in getting one of his vehicles on the road either!  Having said that, I am not ready to change really, just doing that man thing of annoying salesmen on a Saturday afternoon :D
If I am in past the Hy dealer, I'll let you know.
Sent from my HTC Wildfire

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
bumpkin, was just reading this, i always thought the Cruise would be badged as a Vaxhall over there? out here they have the Vax lion badge I just don't like, always thought Holden Australia's own car should have a more aussie badge. but it's been omn Holdens from the start so too late now.
About the trade in price. i would say the salesman has to sell or your trade in car has to sell for more $ than he gives you for it so he gets a comission or bonus. could probably pick you were just checking prices.
here in Sydney there are a number of low K near new i30 petrol auto on Parramatta Road Ashfield ex rental cars from $18,000 to $16,000. no Diesels there or Manuals

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hi Lakes

No the Cruze is Chevrolet over here, I guess though that in reality it is because it is basically a Vauxhall Astra/Vectra running gear and so can't be badged as a Vauxhall due to those models being available.  Truth be told the fact that it is a re-badged Vauxhall kinda puts me off, never been a Vauxhall fan!

Sent from my 1000ET

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've never set foot in a Vauxhall franchised garage since 1979 when a salesperson said, as he was looking me up and down, that I couldn't afford to buy a brand new car.

OK I was wearing a t shirt and tatty jeans but even in 1979 I was well paid and could easily afford to buy not just the base model but the top of the range.

As I was leaving the sales room a well presented gent, presume the gaffer, came to me and asked whether I would be buying. I just looked at him, disgusted face, and referred him to the salesperson who had been speaking to me.

As I was leaving the car park he ran over to me and apologies but I just said I would never set foot in the sales room nor ever consider buying a Vauxhall.  I told all my work colleagues and they never went to that franchise.

Since that day I've never driven or owned a Vauxhall.

ps I think I was looking at the Nova.

pps Some of the wealthy people wear t shirt and jeans as part of there "normal" clothes.  I wonder if they get the same treatment!!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Lester .. You sound like me.. Trish reckons I hold on to some things for a long time.. I could imagine being exactly like you in the same circumstances.. Although in reality you (we) may actually do ourselves a dis-service by limiting our options or being pig headed in such circumstances... :sweating:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I cant get the Kia Sportage Cross-over out of my mind for when swap time comes around! :cool:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I cant get the Kia Sportage Cross-over out of my mind for when swap time comes around! :cool:

You don't like the ix35.? they are the same car under the skin.. (we had a great advert for the Sportage over here  :razz:) A guy with some Rappers in his car singing along and forgetting to get the Nappies ... :rofl:

In Oz I feel Hyundai may now have better resale than Kia.. (they are still earning their stripes)

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
When I was looking at upgrading the Tiida, I test drove a cruze, I didnt like it, the interior was too dark and made it a bit claustrophobic.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
That's interesting Trish, the Cruze over here has quite a nice cabin, they have grey cloth seats and the same fabric is used on the dash, with lighter grey plastics and silver "carbon fibre" look centre console, I quite like it.

Sent from my 1000ET

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The one I test drove was all black.

Here is an example of ours, but the one I was looking at yesterday didn't have the black it was a light grey

http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/cars/cruze/gallery/interior-images.html

Sent from my 1000ET

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I just caught up with a guy I used to work with over 30 years ago...and he has a diesel Cruze CD which he is pretty pleased with except for the low down turbo lag..(from memory when we did a test drive it was worse than the i30 Crdi). He has a really interesting mix of cars he is doing up (but I will post that in a separate tread)

Here is a link to our much darker and more claustraphobic interior (even the seats are black in all the ones we have seen - although they don't look like it in this image)

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/cruze/cd/interior

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo

You don't like the ix35.? they are the same car under the skin.. (we had a great advert for the Sportage over here  :razz:) A guy with some Rappers in his car singing along and forgetting to get the Nappies ... :rofl:

In Oz I feel Hyundai may now have better resale than Kia.. (they are still earning their stripes)

Not so keen on the iX35 nose Dazz... but my mind may get changed depending on used residuals in a couple of years time lol!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Hey Foxy whats a cross over? ( hope not cross dresser LOL ) but KIA are making some nice looking cars, just not sure if any have exciting performance, we have some mountains to climb here and need Torque.
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Foxy whats a cross over? ( hope not cross dresser LOL ) but KIA are making some nice looking cars, just not sure if any have exciting performance, we have some mountains to climb here and need Torque.
cheers

Hi John .. The Kia Sportage has the same R diesel as Blue's new ix35 Highlander (392 NM) so no problem there  :goodjob:

I have it on good authority there is a 6 months waiting list for a Sportage Diesel and the IX35 Diesel is also in short supply (Both VERY popular)

Offline osmesis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hunter Valley

• Hunter Valley, NSW
(we had a great advert for the Sportage over here  :razz:) A guy with some Rappers in his car singing along and forgetting to get the Nappies ... :rofl:

Grandmaster Flash :cool:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Was in at Hyundai this afternoon, £6500 offered for mine against a brand new ix20 Style (Style is the top of the ix20 range).

That's a non-starter at the moment as well, 50% depreciation in 2.5 years really shows how the bottom has fallen out of the used car market in the UK.  Not surprising since the dealers are all pushing new sales with 0% VAT offers etc......

Sent from my 1000ET

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a non-starter at the moment as well, 50% depreciation in 2.5 years really shows how the bottom has fallen out of the used car market in the UK.  Not surprising since the dealers are all pushing new sales with 0% VAT offers etc......

That is why we were happy to get back 17K after 2.5 years (and 68,000kms) when we traded our CRDi on the Hybrid... (around 40% depreciation)

The Tiida was about 50% though in the same period (with only 25K on the clock  :'()

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

That is why we were happy to get back 17K after 2.5 years (and 68,000kms) when we traded our CRDi on the Hybrid... (around 40% depreciation)

The Tiida was about 50% though in the same period (with only 25K on the clock  :'()

I think that's pretty general with Nissans, Dazz.  Unfortunately for Nissan owners but it means there are often REALLY good bargains on nearly new, second hand Nissans.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Well, I have been sniffing around the Hy website and was most impressed to see this version of the ix20.........

http://www.hyundai-car.co.uk/accessories/all/?modelName=ix20

Now the pic shows a basic one but I have to admit that I like the idea of a Style version with the skid plates, door trims and mudflaps added, the list price on that would be about £14,500 for the petrol model.

Pros: 
Extra 100 miles to a tank of fuel compared to the i30
Road Tax is £65 per annum less for petrol
More space than the i30
Brand new, no MOT for 3 years and comes with 5 year triple care anyway......
Wheels 2 inch smaller so tyre replacement is about £50 per corner cheaper.
Insurance also cheaper by as much as £100 per annum.

Cons
Either petrol or model variant are only 89hp, so not startling in the performance stakes.  The diesel is also reported to be a bit harsh, all the reviews I have seen suggest that the petrol 1.4 is the "best buy".  The extra premium for the diesel would again take a considerable timescale to pay for itself so we go petrol.  One has to ask then, given that I am a 6000 mile per annum driver, mainly city driving, does the lack of grunt really matter? 

Summary
Hyundai have stopped doing the Premium i30 in petrol variants in the UK anyway, so despite loving the i30 to bits, I am disappointed that you can only now get to mid level trim with the 1.4 engine i30.
If I could get Hy to raise their value on mine I would seriously consider going for this, now that it costs over £60 to fill the car with fuel for approx 350-400 miles, the thought of getting 450-500 miles for the same money in a brand new car is certainly appealing.
I may have to go back to my dealer and tell him to sharpen his pencil............

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
seems like a great deal to me Brian,but its a lot smaller than your i30.  :neutral: will it be big enough for your growing family? [im not sure if you have a second car.]

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Brian ..

Surprised you say "more space" I thought it would be a size down on the i30..

If you are only doing 6k miles per year your current i30 would be hardly run in and is certainly better looking than the ix20..(I.M.O.)

Take a lot of fuel to offset the changeover too  :winker:

I reckon they would have to go a lot sharper to tempt me  :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hi Brian ..

Surprised you say "more space" I thought it would be a size down on the i30..

If you are only doing 6k miles per year your current i30 would be hardly run in and is certainly better looking than the ix20..(I.M.O.)

Take a lot of fuel to offset the changeover too  :winker:

I reckon they would have to go a lot sharper to tempt me  :lol:
i thought its a smaller car also.  :confused:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Size Comparison

Boot                  i30   340l                         ix20      440l
Seats down      i30   1250l                       ix20      1486l
Length              i30   4280mm                  ix20      4100mm
Width                i30   1775mm                  ix20      1765mm
Height               i30   1480mm                  ix20      1600mm
Wheelbase        i30   2650mm                 ix20       2615mm

Not much in it, the slightly smaller length of the ix20 is due to the short bonnet and the luggage space in the ix20 is significantly better.  Family will not be getting any bigger, snip snip! so that is not an issue.

I am taking all comments on board though guys (and gals!) :D :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal