i30 Owners Club

bumpkins ix20.

Guest · 139 · 58346

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob: :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Just got back from a little break in North Wales and see you've upgraded the car...  Looking really good..

Asa

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Another couple of shots from our trip today which I will share in my random thread for you :D :D

• Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good pics Brian - though you really do need to lose that "Triple Care" decal  :winker:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I'll look into that Steve :goodjob: :goodjob:

Forgot to say that after todays trip of approx 80 miles, the ix20 was displaying an average mpg of 47.9 :D :D

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
It's a nice looking car Brian and the mileage is very attractive  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
I think this 1.4 is even more economic, or you have a feathery right foot :goodjob:
My personal best average is 6,0 lt/100km (47 mpg) at ~90km/h :D
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8

The speaker grilles mimic the front grille.

[/quote]

The idea behind this design, is that its to mimic that of leaves, and help show the IX20's green environment friendly side (=
bet you'z didnt know that.
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yep Sye, I did know that, the cloth on the seats also has the same pattern :D

It is actually meant to represent the leaves skeleton which in my mind is a bit of a mixed message given that the skeleton is more obvious on a dead leaf than a live one.

Sent from my 1000et

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Yep Sye, I did know that, the cloth on the seats also has the same pattern :D

It is actually meant to represent the leaves skeleton which in my mind is a bit of a mixed message given that the skeleton is more obvious on a dead leaf than a live one.

Sent from my 1000et

haha that is rather true, after all a lot of dead leaves would have been created surrounding the factory it was created in im sure.

How are you finding your IX20? I'm rather impressed myself, compared to it's predecessor, (matrix) its x10 better. Very comfy.
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I am really impressed by the ix20, it is a very quiet, comfortable car. 
OK you are not going to be a winner in the traffic light grand prix, but that is missing the point of the car, it is a family MPV with value for money running costs. 

I really like the elevated driving position and oddly it drives in a way that means you don't want to put the pedal to the metal, out in the open road I am enjoying the leisurely stroll of 55-65mph and letting the world rush by as I relax back in the armchair :mrgreen: , I would go as far as to say that it has brought back one of the reasons we wish to have a car, simply to get in at the weekend and go for a drive with no "mission" in mind, just seeing where you end up.  Passengers love the higher position also, my daughter is able to see into the fields and comment on (particularly at this time of year) all the calves and lambs she can now see - makes driving games much easier.  We also love the panoramic roof, we live close to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary which has a helipad and happened to be driving past the other night when the doctors helicopter came in and both Kim and Eilidh were like penguins as it kept pace with us directly overhead coming in to land :goodjob: :goodjob:

I have a couple of taller (approx 6 foot) friends who are very impressed by the space in the cabin, superb rear legroom means they can sit comfortably in the back without their knees rubbing the front seats, something which in fairness they also said about the i30 but that they complain about in other makes.

Despite being more aimed at the family than the i30, it is not quite as good when it comes to cabin storage, there is a good sized air-conditioned glovebox (but not lockable) and the doorbins still have the bottle holders, whilst there are two bottle/drink holders between the front seats, but the rear seat armrest does not have the cupholders like the i30, whilst I do miss the sunglasses, dash and central console boxes, the flip side is that you don't carry so much extraneous junk around with you!!  It does however have 3 cigarette power outlets (one in the dash, one in the centre console and one in the boot) meaning that the Nintendo DS/PSP can be used whilst the GPS is in use and the coolbox is keeping your food fresh all at the same time, without having to buy those ghastly adaptors!

It has also taken moment to get used to manual aircon again, I missed the automatic system from the i30 at the start :undecided: and have to admit to having to remind myself to switch on the lights, particularly because the dials are permanently backlit, just shows how lazy all these auto systems can make you :-[ :-[
This is the first car I have had with lane-change indicators and despite sounding a bit nonsensical, I pretty much use them all the time, I find them really handy on roundabouts.

I have never driven a Matrix, but have to say that model never appealed to me anyway, as I have stated earlier about MPV's, just a box on wheels.  The ix20 is a good looking car IMO.

I was reading an article last night about the new Corsa Eco-thingy which has a 1.3 diesel engine attracting sub 100g/km CO2 emissions and reported 78mpg, therefore no annual VED and no London Congestion Charge.  The reviewers had added a couple of optional packs onto the base car, one pack gave 15" alloy wheels (the ix20 has 16"), fog lamps (standard on Style ix20) and cruise control (OK, I don't have that) and the other pack added a touch screen GPS (don't have that supplied with an ix20), Bluetooth functionality (standard on ix20) and a USB port (again standard on all Hy cars).  My car cost just shy of £14,500, this Corsa with the packs comes to £17,600!!!  You can see that it would take a few years even on average mileage to spend the extra £3,000 to make the Vauxhall better value for money.

I have just realised that my reply has turned into an 800 mile/1300km mini-review :-[ :-[

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Enjoyed reading that, Brian. I agreed with a lot of your observations (apart from the sunroof) as I was loaned one recently.

You've vindicated your change of car very well :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I enjoyed that too Brian.. You paint a good picture.. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
I agree it was a good read, pleased you are enjoying your ix20.  :goodjob:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Good stuff...  9/10 for composition, given it a little star stuck on the page  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good info, thanks

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

I am really impressed by the ix20, it is a very quiet, comfortable car...
Nice little review, although younger ones might disagree with the vindication :lol:
Relax-and-cruise is also for me now, over against times when...
(click to show/hide)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Happened to be parked behind an i30 at work today, thought you might appreciate seeing the two side by side, might give a better impression of the relative sizes of the two of them.  Most obvious is the shorter nose and higher roofline on the ix20.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great photo  :D Not as much shorter than the i30 as I imagined  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

It's almost 15cm shorter but you can't tell the difference from the photo. Actually, it seems... bigger :confused:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Happened to have the armrest down the other day and did not quite release the handbrake properly, it was not binding but just enough for the light to be on in the dash.  Was busy looking at the traffic and not the dash though, then wondered what the alarm bell was for!!  It was quite un-nerving hearing this chime for the first time, looked down and saw the red light on the dash, put the handbrake right down and all was well again.

This is not something I ever did in the i30, so does the i30 have that alarm or is it new??

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Probably it's new. Nice feature. :goodjob:
Mine doesn't have this alarm (unfortunately, I've tested it :whistler: )

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
I don't know about the i30, but I know what you mean my Tiida had that, It can be a bit confronting the first time you hear it .

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
HELLO! :)

Wow, I'm super late  :scared:

Congratulations for the ix20. It really looks great, especially in that color. Man, I still haven't tested the ix20, and I usually test new Hyundai's as soon as they arrive  :eek: Anyways, I think the car looks great. I'm not that much into "MPV's" but don't know.. There's just something about this car that I really like. Oh and the sun roof.. Wooooww..  :goodjob: It's also quite well equipped..

Oh, and when you say it feels "lighter". I also think it's mostly because of the wheels/tires. I feel quite some difference between wint 185/65/15 and summ 205/55/16 and once i drove 225/45/17 and it was even more noticeable. Though the sporty feeling is really the best with the 17", but comfort..

Good luck with the car!

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Just got back from a little break in North Wales and see you've upgraded the car...  Looking really good..

Asa

I was at my dealership today re my own car which required me to wait for it to be fixed...  I took advantage of the time by sitting in an ix20.   It is a very high sitting position for such a small car, took me by surprise.  I was very impressed with it....

Asa

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
My gf and I are seriously thinking about getting the ix20 maybe next year, beside the i30CW that I already have now.

Which things do you prefer over i30 and which things you find to be worse, then in i30? I would really appreciate the reply. We both like the car very much, but haven't driven it yet. We have sat in it, checked it out, but that was it. I'll try to test drive it on Tuesday. And yes, we both like that blue colour. I also find dark red and white to be attractive, but..

I was also thinking about the engines and I find the 1.6 CRDi with 115 hp very "attractive" ( :arrow: 260Nm; 6-speed; 182 km/h; acceleration 11,5 sec and approx 4,5 lit/100km). But I'm not sure if I would be getting a diesel, if I already have one. I might consider the 1.6 petrol version. One of those two.

I would also kindly ask you if you could do one thing.. If you could measure the rear boot. The lenght, height (to the top of the rear seats) and width. I thought i30CW has bigger boot, but I've come across some interesting information in the techn. specification of the cars. And if it wouldn't be too much trouble, the length between the front seats and the back of the boot.

They say, the size of ix20's rear boot is 440 lit or 1486 lit (folded seats). The i30CW's boot is 415 lit or 1395 lit (folded seats). And the ordinary i30 has only 340 lit or 1250 lit (folded). I understand the ix20 has higher boot, but..

Thank you in advance.

Edit:

Here are the measurements of the i30CW's rear boot:

A: 90 cm
B: 136 cm
C: 106 cm
D: 128 cm
E: 48 cm
F: 175 cm
G: 76 cm
H: 105 cm
(diameter of the entrance is approx 116 cm)
I: 72 cm

P.S.: If you are not into doing that, no problem, I'll measure it at the dealers.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 17:44:53 by accim »

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hey accim

Quite a few questions there mate :goodjob: :goodjob:

I think that if you read through this thread you will see what I think of the ix20, overall in the sector it sits in, I love it.
I would say exactly the same about the i30 :goodjob: :goodjob:

The diesel engine in the ix20 is not regarded as overly refined compared to other modern diesels and the 1.6 petrol is only available in Auto in the UK, would not interest me, but if you can get it in manual in your country, it would be the same engine as my i30 was and it was fine.

The 1.4 petrol is regarded as the "best buy" in the UK and with the blue drive giving ISG, gives excellent fuel consumption overall (and certainly better than the 1.6 i30.

Here are the sizes you ask for, there are a few configurations for the boot, I will try to describe the various options.

With rear seats fully back and reclined the length of the boot at floor level is 710mm.
With rear seats fully forward the length increases to 840mm.

With the floor at it's upper level the height to the top of the rear seats is 500mm.
With the floor in it's lower level the height increases to 660mm.

The usable width of the boot (from wheelarch to wheelarch) is 1160mm.

The length to the front seat (I did not move my seat to fully forward so including a 5' 8" driver) is 1550mm.

Hope this helps :D

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
We crossed posts, I have just gone and taken the extra dimensions for you :winker:

A = 71cm   A+=84cm
B = 131cm, but this is really a tiny bit between the wheelarch and the rear of the car, usable for 2 upright 2.5l bottles of water.
C= 116cm
D= 134cm  D+=145cm
E= 50cm  E+=66cm
F= 115cm
G= 72cm
H= 108cm
I= 71cm  I+=84cm  (the rear seats recline and can therefore be put into a completely upright position)

All the measurements with + denote moving the rear seats forward or the floor into the lower postion.

Cheers
Brian

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Thank you very much. It helps a lot. And thanks for additional measurements. Don't know how to thank you  :goodjob:

Overall, it's about the same. Because of it's height, it has more lit. comparing it to i30CW. So you could say, that even in ix20, you can drive a lot of things.. Basically, what fits in i30CW, will definitely fit in ix20. Hm, you will actually fit more things in ix20, from what I've read. Really interesting. The i30CW has some more space at the rear seats and the total length is bigger, but I'm really surprised, how much space the ix20 has.

Yes, according to the price list, we can get the 1.6 petrol here (BD) with manual. There are also 4 diesels in the price list (1.4 CRDi LP/HP and 1.6 CRDi LP (115hp) and HP (128hp)). But I think that the only ones that are on stock, are the 1.4 petrol and the 1.4 CRDi LP engines. For others, you probably have to wait 6 months.

Will check it out more in person, also have to take it for a spin, but I think it really is a great car and a possible candidate for next purchase, beside the i30CW.

Thanks again!

I'll definitely save those measurements, so I could compare them to some other cars..

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Was perusing fleabay looking for wind deflectors and spotted a set of four available in the UK for the princely sum of £34.95.  Not bad thinks I, that is about half the cost of the dealer.

Then I spotted another post in here about the global site and went for a look there.  Exactly the same thing from Germany - £21.40 delivered, ordered immediately of course! :mrgreen:

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
A canny purchase Brian.
I found a game for you to play while you are waiting for the goods to arrive.
http://www.gamezilla.us/english/puzzle/puzzles-hyundai-ix20
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal