Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Reading the figures, makes sense to scrap it I guess  :undecided:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
We would have bought a GD wagon if the price wasn't so ridiculous compared to the hatch. GD Elite diesel 6spd Man hatch for $27,000 or a base model Active Diesel for $32,000? Forget it... bought the hatch and decided to keep my FD wagon and run it into the ground

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the link pidim..  :disapp:

Reading the figures, makes sense to scrap it I guess  :undecided:

It only made up 1% of the total in Feb because of no supply!  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
 :whsaid:

People aren't gonna buy something if they can't even see it on the showroom floor... :fum:
As for the costs of bringing it in from Europe, other car companies seem to be able to do it and make a buck so you gotta wonder...  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'd say production problems more likely, it is the EU. Exchange rates haven't moved that much have they.  @Doggie 1
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If I could work out how to do a chart I would.

In 2012 when the wagon was dropped we were told that the wagon was not being done in Korea and that it was too expensive from Czech Republic was too expensive and there was no stock in 2012  1 AUD bought between 17 and 18 CZK.

Then the currency devalued and 1 Aud bought between 20 and 21 CZK and the wagon was back as they found some  stock as sales in other areas hadn't been as good. 

Today the same 1 AUD buys 17.50 CZK.

With the success of the ix35 and now Tucson for around the same money they probably think they can get the petrol drivers into a Tucson or an i40 wagon ($28,990 for the petrol, 34k for the diesel without negotation on carsales) Reckon fleet buyers could do better.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Also, they were deleting the dpf for Australia and maybe other mods, for small numbers..

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
With the success of the ix35 and now Tucson for around the same money they probably think they can get the petrol drivers into a Tucson or an i40 wagon ($28,990 for the petrol, 34k for the diesel without negotation on carsales) Reckon fleet buyers could do better.

Actually got contacted by the salesman who sold me my i30cw in 2010 - inviting me to the big sale event they were having on Wednesday (yesterday).  I asked me if the 'rumours' I heard about the i30 wagon not being imported/available any more were true.   When he asked why he said: That the SUV market has basically overtaken the wagon market (across the industry - mentioning Holden and Ford haven't done wagons recently now either).   That the wagon didn't really give that much more space as compared to an SUV model and as prices weren't that much different people were going for SUVs.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
There are good prices on Diesel Autos (6 speed) on carsales at the moment 25k.... If they still have this stock new, can't bode well for the sales.

That said Hyundai seem to have a few extra old new cars tucked away (and I seem to be good at buying them  :twisted:)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah,  they do have a point. The wagons do tend to be sleeker and more economical though.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yeah,  they do have a point. The wagons do tend to be sleeker and more economical though.
Yes, the aerodynamic profile and extra weight of SUVs are a turn-off for me. :spitty:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Plus they dont do a diesel poverty pack, they make you buy one or two levels up....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When you already have a good car, it is hard to find something that ticks all the boxes!

In my case ...

6.0 L/100km combined economy (or better)

Minimum 450 Litres of boot space (seats up)

Auto Headlight/ Auto wipers

Cruise control (preferably adaptive)

Attractive styling (inside and out)

15,000 km/ 9 month service intervals or longer.

Long warranty...

Under $40K driveaway

Top of the list (if I could find a good demo) = Hyundai i40 Premium

Short list - new Civic Sedan (but service intervals only 10K - warranty only 3 years)

- Camry Atara SL Hybrid (only 3 years warranty - closer to 45K, styling inside and out only average)

- Mondeo Diesel Wagon - It's a Ford (3 years warranty)

- Mazda 6 Wagon (Short and expensive servicing nad warranty)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Stay away from the Mondeo, read plenty of bad owners reviews.

It is a bit hard in Tassie, but I just keep my eye on carsales, being prepared to jump when the cheap one comes along.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The Mondeo actually gets mostly good reviews on Product Reviews.com but I have also heard the bad reports.. I might do something after my last free service at 60k ( so early 2017) Could be a couple more options by then...

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Problem with reviews is a lot of them are done very early in the owning experience when nothing has gone wrong.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good point!

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
I get it all the time. Why did i buy the wagon and not a suv.
Public census seems to be that suvs are wagon replacements.
But dont realise you gotta sacrifice economy due to weight gain and that actually the wagon is the better load carrier.
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Perhaps were just in the minority.....

It's funny because the wagons seem to be holding their value second hand which would seem to show that there is some demand out there.

But I guess that could be people 'making do' because they can't afford a suv

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I reckon one of the mistakes Hyundai made with the GD Tourer was using the same wheelbase as the Hatch.

The old CW had a 4" longer wheelbase which gave you extra rear leg room which made the CW more attractive if you had tall teenagers to cart around.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
True, the extra leg room always amazed passengers when they jumped into the back of the CW.

It was good for baby seats too.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Well, that's saying something. One of the positives that sealed the purchase of my i30 is the legroom that is already provided as a hatch. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Admittedly the thing that stopped me buying a brand new wagon was the price. But comparing against the hatch, one did get a bit more kit not available in the hatch: extra load space, rear fog lights, DRL's, headlight levellers, speed limiter cruise control, hillstart assist, alloys as standard, emergency stop signal, illuminated glovebox compartment, multi-link rear suspension, flat folding rear seats, luggage undefloor box, additional warning lights (ice warning, low beam).

Shame that it's gone, ah well looks like I have myself a very rare limited edition car.

As a side note, it's interesting that the i30 wagon is apparently still available in NZ :link: Hyundai i30 Wagon | Hyundai New Zealand

What's also interesting is the configuration of the NZ wagon model; the indicator stalk is the wrong side (left side indicator, right side wiper) and the radio power/volume knob is on the left hand side whereas in Australia it is on the right hand side, closer to the driver. You'd think that since they were producing an Aussie version of the wagon with proper RHD controls, they would have just applied the same set up to the NZ model, but apparently not :S
  • GD Wagon CRDi 6M/T. Previously 1985 N12 Nissan Pulsar GX, 1963 Holden EJ Special

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Maybe their regulations required a DPF for the diesel, whereas Australia  did not. So they just sent their standard config with DPF to NZ...

BTW  :Agoodpost:

Offline Javich

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Australia
Much more space? They have to be serious. The reality is that the marketing is doing an excellent job and selling SUVs as if they really were a more convenient option for families.

I can't find the link that mention that the i30 Tourer beats SUVs of the like of Mazda CX-5 and Subaru XV in boot space, hands down but here below is another link comparing suvs to wagons for siblings of the same brand.

Mazada CX-5 is probably the best example to make my point, one of my friends bought that thinking (again good job of the sellers) that he was acquiring a bigger car just to realize that a Honda Accord interior ir roomier. Have I mentioned that the boot of the Kia Rio Sedan has more space than the one of the CX-5, that is way beyond ridicoulous isn't it? That is your spacious SUV.

One thing SUVs excel is at blocking the view for all of us driving small cars. Seriously the average family is not going to drive off road.

:link: Wagons v SUV comparison test: Mazda6 v Mazda CX-5, Hyundai i30 Tourer v Hyundai ix35, Holden Commodore Sportwagon v Holden Captiva7

Actually got contacted by the salesman who sold me my i30cw in 2010 - inviting me to the big sale event they were having on Wednesday (yesterday).  I asked me if the 'rumours' I heard about the i30 wagon not being imported/available any more were true.   When he asked why he said: That the SUV market has basically overtaken the wagon market (across the industry - mentioning Holden and Ford haven't done wagons recently now either).   That the wagon didn't really give that much more space as compared to an SUV model and as prices weren't that much different people were going for SUVs.
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Elite Tourer (Wagon), Diesel 1.6lt, 7DP Dual Clutch Auto, Red.

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
True, when I was doing my research, I found that the i30 wagon had the biggest boot in its class, it even beats the current Santa Fe (i30 Tourer 528L seats up/1,642L seats down vs Santa Fe 516L seats up / 1,615L seats down)!! Also ~30% better fuel economy on top of that. The Tourer ticked all the boxes and that's why I like it so much and why it is very disappointing that it has been discontinued.
  • GD Wagon CRDi 6M/T. Previously 1985 N12 Nissan Pulsar GX, 1963 Holden EJ Special

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yes but most people don't do research.

Whilst not trying to be critical of my Sister in Law, she went for a drive in a Tucson and fell in love. She didn't look at anything else.

It didn't matter that the Kia Sportage was in run out mode, had a 7 year warranty and would have been much cheaper (and as good looking as the new Tucson in my opinion). Nor did it matter that she had an older Tucson that she had bought 12 months earlier and it only had 100k on it.

She wanted a new Tucson and a new Tucson was what she got.

I dare say that she is not the exception to the rule.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm sure there is a bit of a snowball effect too... Because SUV's are selling much better than wagons, the yards are loaded with SUV's in a good range of colours and specs while in some cases (down here anyway) they carry little or no Wagon stock. The updated i40 wagon (and Sedan ) are a very good looking vehicles, but many never see one while shopping for a car.  :disapp:

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I'm sure there is a bit of a snowball effect too... Because SUV's are selling much better than wagons, the yards are loaded with SUV's in a good range of colours and specs while in some cases (down here anyway) they carry little or no Wagon stock. The updated i40 wagon (and Sedan ) are a very good looking vehicles, but many never see one while shopping for a car.  :disapp:

Yep, when I was looking for a Tourer, I could NOT find one, especially considering I insisted on a manual, those were pretty much non existent. I saw an auto once or twice but there's no point considering that if it's not what I wanted to buy. Dealerships were loaded with hatchbacks, but if you wanted wagon, the only option was to blindly buy one for full blown retail without seeing or testing a specimen beforehand. :fum:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal