i30 Owners Club

Oil to suit GD i30 Petrol

pidim · 9 · 20618

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi everyone, I tried to find info on my question before posting, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered.

I'm thinking of providing my own oil for my next service, and was contemplating on Mobil 1 0w40:  http://www.mobil1.com.au/products/product_0W40.aspx#.U1dhpPmSySo

Hyundai's spec sheet quotes that suitable oil for 1.8L Petrol  is:  SAE 5W-30 or SAE10W-30.

I'm wondering whether this is just the minimum standard and whether using my preferred oil is going to be better or is it not recommended to use anything other than what they state.

In other words is 0W better than 5W.  and is 40 better than 30?  Hope someone can help out.

Thanks

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The numbers relate to the viscosity of the oil. 0 means that at low temperatures, the oil is still very thin which is what you want. Cold starting needs thin oil to circulate through the engine and prevent wear, so this is good.

The 30 or 40 number is the viscosity of oil in high temperatures, so at freeway speeds, the oil is thick enough to provide protection for your hot engine.

Now, the two sets of numbers mean that at low to high temps, your oil will protect your engine well. The oil is specially formulated to modify itself as temperature increases, that is at cold temps the molecules are short chains, then when engine / air temps rise, the molecules bond to themselves to form longer chains thus protecting the engine.

The specs in the manual, are not as good as 0 - 40 oil, so you are using a higher grade of oil than Hy specify, nothing wrong with that at all.

In Australia, unless you live in the High country, a 0 grade oil is a bit unnecessary. My Diesel is currently running 5 - 40 oil.

Hope this helps.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
 :whsaid: good post Phil :goodjob2:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
from what I have read here mainly CraigB recommendation I going to used a Nulon fully synthetic in my 1.8 Petrol.  Used the lube guide on Nulon web site it  suggest using 5w-20 Best and 5w-30 Better.
But I thinking that http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Nulon-Long-Life-Petrol-Diesel-Engine-Oil-5W-40-5-Litre.aspx?pid=164749&menuFrom=60104#Recommendations
 would be better particularly in summer in Queensland
thoughts?
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'll be fine with the Nulon 5W 40 longlife joebris, it's also a fast flowing like the 10W40 but it's just not written on the front label :wink:

The 5W 40 has slightly better early start protection than the 10W 40 :link: 10W40 - Independant Oil test Results - Nulon

Also be sure to do the check around on prices... Autobarn had that oil for $39 a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:03:02 by CraigB »

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
from what I have read here mainly CraigB recommendation I going to used a Nulon fully synthetic in my 1.8 Petrol.  Used the lube guide on Nulon web site it  suggest using 5w-20 Best and 5w-30 Better.
But I thinking that http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Nulon-Long-Life-Petrol-Diesel-Engine-Oil-5W-40-5-Litre.aspx?pid=164749&menuFrom=60104#Recommendations
 would be better particularly in summer in Queensland
thoughts?

When my car becomes  due for its service and I supplied the above mentioned oil, could the Hy dealer dispute it as far as warranty is concerned ?
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
When my car becomes  due for its service and I supplied the above mentioned oil, could the Hy dealer dispute it as far as warranty is concerned ?
No  :) The oils mentioned all exceed manufacturers specifications :goodjob2:

Just make sure to use a genuine Hyundai oil filter as that's an area they'll kick a stink up over in the event of a warranty issue.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal