i30 Owners Club

90K Service due - Sydney, Aus

Offline scar4ace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hello!

I've got my 90K service booked in few days (overdue 6 months, but only 85k on the clock)

i30 MY07 Hatchback FD SX 2.0L Auto Petrol :)

Major service - replacements include timing belt, spark plugs, brake fluid, filter element air, oil filter, Auto Tx fluid, coolant

Dont know (trust) local garages, so would prefer stick to brand name. Hyundai dealer (Peninsula, bankstown) quote just under $1000 for service, Ultra tune, lubemobile around $1000 mark, KTAS (Kmart) $700.  After reading online reviews for KTAS, and considering its a major service, I am leaning towards sticking to Hyundai dealer for $1000 (I used them for last service and found them to be pretty good).

Just wondering anyone in Syd who would recommend another place/or kmart?  The service cost is pretty steep, about 10% of value of car!!

Cheers!
Sam
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 15:19:17 by scar4ace »
  • i30 MY07 Hatchback FD SX 2.0L Auto Petrol, Love it!!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm not a lover of Ultratune. And I assume Lubemobile is the sort that comes and does it on site - not the best option for a major service IMO.
If you've had experience with Peninsula Hyundai before and have been happy with them, I'd go with them.
Yes, it is a major service and a lot of money - it's actually just abit under $1000 according to their fixed price scedule (although I looked at the manual option). But when you consider what is involved you will be getting reasonable value for money.
There are others on here (and I would normally be one of them( who'd suggest you can do much better than the Hyundai genuine price. And they'd be correct. However, again IMO, a major service like this is not the time to be experimenting. Go with what you're familiar with and allow yourself time to look around before next service - you've got 15,000 klms in which to look.

My normal advice is to find a Repco Authorised Service Centre which will be privately owned but backed with the Repco name for warranty purposes - you can see what's involved on here  http://www.repcoservice.com/

But make sure you have a good look at it from outside first and be satisfied it looks clean and well presented and is somehwhere you'd be happy to leave your car.

BTW. Please keep us posted on what you do and how it pans out. It's all helpful for others in the future.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great post Trev.. (gee we are lucky to have people like Trev on here to share their knowledge)

Not much I can add except that I was leaning in the same direction (advice wise)

Just for the record I think most other brands would be as dear (or dearer) when a belt needs replacing..

Just a regular service on a Subaru or Peugeot can run to $600 or more... :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Now that you have your price, you CAN save a bit if money by supplying all the required filters, oil and even coolant if it meets Hy specs. They charge heaps for these parts and it is well known that you can get OEM parts through eBay or local suppliers. I do this for all our servicing, but still use Hy to actually perform the service. One advantage of using HY is that any software updates and TSB's (recalls) should be taken care of at this service, too. So, get the filters & oil then ring them and ask for a requote. I think you'll be surprised, the reduction should be much more than the cost of parts.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 23:14:28 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid: (good reminder Phil)

Offline scar4ace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
cheers fellows! great advice all round  :goodjob2: :goodjob2:  Ill keep you posted.

Unfortunately if I go buy some oil/coolant i might just come out with a coke and an energy drink...no idea where to start.  :head_butt:

Ill definitely look into it and keep that in mind for next service though :) as this ones booked for friday

Thanks again guys!! Awesome community

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

cheers fellows! great advice all round  :goodjob2: :goodjob2:  Ill keep you posted.

Unfortunately if I go buy some oil/coolant i might just come out with a coke and an energy drink...no idea where to start.  :head_butt:

Ill definitely look into it and keep that in mind for next service though :) as this ones booked for friday

Thanks again guys!! Awesome community

There are oil recommendations on here if you search and some part numbers too..  :goodjob:

Offline scar4ace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Cheers dazz. 

Just booked in for 90k

Me: "can I get a fixed quote"
Rep: "just under a $1000". 
M: "So what's that exactly?"
Rep:  "Well depends. If we need to change water pump due to a leak it's about $300"
M: oh okay so $1000 with water pump?
Rep: no. Additional $300 over the service
M: "okay then. So how much is the service again?!"
Rep crunches numbers and comes up with $960.

A little dodgy how when I asked for exact quote he threw in the water pump even thought it didn't affect base quote.

Also seemed to suggest would go ahead and do it regardless since everything was opened up.

Asked them to call me if any additional work need to be done before doing it.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Where did the requirement to change the water pump come from?

As far as i'm aware it is not a service schedule requirement
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline scar4ace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Yea think by questioning it they backed off a little. Just got a call saying the pump is fine. Suggested replacement of 2 belts (ac and alternator) for $95 (no additional labour) and wheel align for $50 (tyres are okay for now)

Agreed to both as it means I can keep there tyres for longer and look for better deal on tyres elsewhere

Offline scar4ace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Guys just picked my ride up and they've done a great job. The guy gab at the desk is a legend. Great dude went through all details , even retained old worn parts for inspection.

Was an expensive service but I guess nothing can be done about it. Their Cust service was brill. Only addition on top of std service was the 2 belts and WA. They advised me not to change tyres or water pump. Mentioned something about breaking at 40% which can be addressed next service.

Also chucked in free breakdown for a year :)

All smiles! I noticed in a forum (either here or whirlpool) the sales guys at hyun peninsula bankstown got great feedback. I reckon their service team pretty good too

Cheers fellows

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal