i30 Owners Club

Pissed off and feel screwed over!

Offline Andyp25

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leeds

• 2013 Petrol 1.4 Active
 I bought a 2013 hyundai i30 1.4 petrol last September with 17, 500 miles on it from ford/Hyundai dealer Kirkstall Road,  Leeds.  It was only a year old so I asked how come its for sale so soon , told it was lease car only when I got the car documents from DVLA it turned out to be a hire car,  that pissed me off a bit,  but the car was brilliant apart from that.  Had to got back to dealers a few weeks later because it hadn't been stamped on service book (sold with service history) .But today has really pissed me off its gone in for second service was told spark plugs, engine oil, oil filter, gear box oil, brake fluid, air filter was going to be changed for the pricey sum of £185!  Was told car is ready got bill payed it, just looking at it not and seems all they ve done is oil filter, new oil; air filter , brake fluid and screen wash !!!!!@ Next service is to cost £270! I thought this was a cheap car to own! Next time I ll do the job myself like I ve done to my previous cars! Feel ripped off.
  • 2013 i30 1.4 Petrol

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm sure that many members sympathize with you. No one likes the feeling of being ripped off, but I feel that you need to take a step back for a minute.

There are many things to consider.

Having bought a new car, did you expect the servicing to be £50 or similar. I hope not. Servicing costs should have been factored into your initial purchase strategy.

By conducting your own maintenance you will void your warranty and I can tell you that you do not want to do this. Should a major repair be necessary, the servicing costs will pale into insignificance if you have to pay full price for repairs. (We had 4 injectors replaced just before warranty expiry on a Diesel engine, a significant cost, fully paid for by Hy because of warranty).

You will not receive any software updates to your vehicle and any recalls will not be automatically performed unless you are notified in writing.

You CAN lower the cost of servicing by

(1) Selecting an alternative approved servicing agent at their rates, of course or

(2) Supply all OEM filters and correct oils yourself and have Hy reduce the price accordingly or

(3) Use non OEM filters which are cheaper and covered by the manufacturer's warranty, however, should a problem occur, you would be involved in a bun fight over who is going to pay for repairs, you, the filter manufacturer, or Hyundai. The subsequent argument may be long and drawn out and for this reason, I don't advise option (3).

£185 over 52 weeks equates to £3.55 per week. You can't get much for that really.

Cars cost money to run, a simple fact of life, unfortunately.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Andyp25

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leeds

• 2013 Petrol 1.4 Active
Point is I don't mind paying if they change the parts they told me twice they would. Paying for jobs not done and being lied to would I sure annoy a lot of people!
  • 2013 i30 1.4 Petrol

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Point is I don't mind paying if they change the parts they told me twice they would. Paying for jobs not done and being lied to would I sure annoy a lot of people!

If you have evidence of fraud then a crime has been committed, if so you should be speaking to a solicitor at the very least. !!!!!

So, what evidence have you that parts were not fitted?

Offline Andyp25

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leeds

• 2013 Petrol 1.4 Active
Got work sheet and a breakdown of parts fitted.  Just got off phone now to them. I asked why there was such a difference between the cost of oil and oil filter change £130 to being told twice that spark plugs and gear box oil £185 which I didn't mind paying only for it not to be done.  She didn't have a answer for me,  only said spark plugs get changed at 40,000 miles and gearbox 80, 000. I asked why is next year going to cost £270? She said it only going to be £169 then the forth year £249!  Then she trys to flog me a service plan! Don't have a lot of faith in them when I keep getting all different storys!
  • 2013 i30 1.4 Petrol

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Got work sheet and a breakdown of parts fitted.  Just got off phone now to them. I asked why there was such a difference between the cost of oil and oil filter change £130 to being told twice that spark plugs and gear box oil £185 which I didn't mind paying only for it not to be done.  She didn't have a answer for me,  only said spark plugs get changed at 40,000 miles and gearbox 80, 000. I asked why is next year going to cost £270? She said it only going to be £169 then the forth year £249!  Then she trys to flog me a service plan! Don't have a lot of faith in them when I keep getting all different storys!

Speechless.

I get very paranoid about these things, especially spark plugs, I mean even if ya remove the plug and have a sken at it, you'd be hard pushed to PROVE anything.

My warranty runs out in a few short months then I will do a full service myself including changing the plugs and I will be sure it's been done :-)    Roll on springtime.

Good luck with your servicing regime, oh and those prices don't sound too bad to me ??? 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The car has a service schedule associated to either 12 months or x miles, whichever cones first.

You need to obtain this first so you can see what is required at the service.

They should have given you  a service information sheet which details service items for 12 service periods.

For my 12 plate 1.4 petrol manual at 2nd service had

Oil
Oil filter
Brake fluid
And climate fliter changed.

According to the schedule for mine

Spark plugs at 40k or 4 years
Air filter at 40k or 4 years
Gear box oil no mention of replace just check level at 20k/2years and 120k/12 years.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I do understand your frustrations about all the different info's from the dealer. That's not ok. :exclaim:

However, the Price isn't all bad, I think. It must be the first service for the car, right.. :question: 20.000 miles or 2 year, whatever comes first, isn't that so in the UK.. :question:

For comparison: 7 years ago I was a service manager at a VW/Skoda dealer. First service for a Skoda Octavia TDI was ca £220,- and that was also just oil + oilfilter and some checks to be performed. (half of that price was oil!) If brakefluid needed change, then additional cost was ca £60,-
30.000 km or 2 year whatever comes first.

So, compared, I think the Hyundai service you have had was cheap.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline StuMac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Croydon
Consider my poor wife, who took her 2005 ford fiesta 1.4 for a service for it to cost £500 and goes about 10mpg less than my 2012 i30. And I thought that was expensive!

As someone in the trade I spend all my time looking at service histories and endless invoices - £250 for an annual / period service is honestly not that expensive. However, voiding your warrantee is!

You did the right thing with the stamp, because a nice stamped up book can make a difference of £100-£500 in value on a 5 year old car, more if its younger / low mileage. Having some years left on the warrantee are also big boosts to a cars value. That's two years of your servicing saved right there.
  • 2012 i30 5 Door Hatch, 1.6 Diesel CDRi, Auto, White

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal