i30 Owners Club

New Shell Helix HX8 Hy endorsed

Offline lingua franca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Glenside, Adelaide
My i30 1.8 auto petrol will have it's 6month/7,500 km service next Thursday.
The Service department quoted $160 if I supplied my own oil. I took the new Shell HX8  5W-30 fully synthetic to them for prior approval as it is ACEA A3/B4 not wanting to compromise any possible warranty claims in future.
They checked with Hy Technical and I now have the Service departments approval in writing that it satisfies the technical requirements. (The label says its also suitable for diesels.)

This would seem like a win/win result for all!
  • 2014 i30 Trophy hatch 1.8 Petrol Auto white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline KarrenM

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Vic
Interesting. According to the owners Manual it is supposed to meet the standard ACEA A5/B5... not that you can find that very easily. Mobil 1 newer car formula meets that standard, but there isn't much else I have been able to find. So this is a major win. Perhaps (and I hate to think like this) they will negate our warranties if we use the A3 oil as it isn't for extended drain intervals, and they DO suggest that we change our oil at 7500 under "harsh" conditions...

quote:
A1/B1 Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPas.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under B3.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or
handbook if in doubt.
  • GD I30 Elite

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
HX8 is an API listed oil so it'll be fine though I would have thought that Shell Helix Ultra would have been closer to the recommended Standard if you are wanting to use Shell oil  :link: Shell Helix Ultra SN 5W-30 - Shell Global

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So is 5W-30 the official viscosity range required? To my thinking, 5W-40 would simply provide even better hot end protection. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So is 5W-30 the official viscosity range required? To my thinking, 5W-40 would simply provide even better hot end protection. :confused:
Depending on your climate ( Australia ) 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-40 are all good here, even the lower 30 is still good for 50 degree ambient temperatures but 40 has your bases covered slightly more, less likely to get close to stress levels :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:05:53 by CraigB »

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Just as I figured. Thanks, Craig. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I seem to remember that Shell Helix Ultra meets the criteria for diesels but Shell Helix Ultra Extra doesn't.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I know stuff all about the diesel requirements/specifications Dave but I cant find Helix Ultra Extra on the list  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal