i30 Owners Club

Auto Tx fluid / Transmission service

OOm822 · 7 · 3792

Offline OOm822

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi,

Just reached 75,000 kms on my i30 2.0L '09 SLX.

Service book says 90,000 kms for transmission service. I've checked the transmission oil and its light grey. Been doing some research and it should be red-ish.

Saw this on youtube which has the same engine:
:link: 2008 Hyundai Elantra Transmission Service (Flush, Torque Converter, Oil Cooler & Pan) - YouTube

and wanted to do the same thing but only downside is which trans axel oil to use???

go genuine or castrol/shell ??? need suggesting?

Have found the Hyundai Genuine Transmission OIL Part 0450000400 - on eBay for $150 + $20 shipping.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Jack
  • i30 '09 2.0L SLX

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wttc: Hopefully, our resident tech Tim or one of our other mechanical gurus will see this thread. Sometimes takes a day or so. 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline OOm822

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
All good don't plan to do it anytime soon just want to know what I need to get before doing this. Looks like its not as simple as a flush this is the whole deal. Unless the 90,000 transmission service is just a flush. Not sure... Anyone who has done this before any suggestions of would be great.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:10:26 by OOm822 »
  • i30 '09 2.0L SLX

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Choice is yours to do it early. How's your warranty?
I skipped through the film with no sound but got the idea. If you feel confident enough in yourself to do the procedure go for it. This is a very good way to flush as much of the old oil as possible.
As for which oil. Obviously the Genuine oils are recommended, but since your out/nearly out of warranty you can look at your options. Shell is a good choice and is approved by Hyundai with their engine oils.
In my workshop we use Valvoline Maxlife in place of SP-3. I've been using it for near 10 years now on vehicles out of warranty and never seen a problem.

Oh and welcome.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline OOm822

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks for your input much appreciated, I think I will order the Genuine oil as the 100,000 km transmission warranty still stands. I think the warranty may have expired. Not sure.
I have not changed an auto transmission before so, good way to start is follow the real good video which is really detailed.

For normal engine oil I have been using: Castrol Edge Titanium - 5W-30

However is a flush and refill sufficient? for 75,000 km and then do the full service at 90,000?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:49:14 by OOm822 »
  • i30 '09 2.0L SLX

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Scheduled service is a drain and refill. So you'll be doing much more than that.
I would however be checking the conditions of your 100000km warranty. I wouldn't want you to void your warranty but opening the transmission.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline OOm822

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks, I will then just do a drain and refill with the SP3. As its only 75,000. No issues to date, touch wood. Only had the re-call for break light switch.

Cheers.
  • i30 '09 2.0L SLX

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal