i30 Owners Club

i30 1.8 petrol oil capacity and filter location

Offline chonkon

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Good Morning all
I did look though the posts and could find a lot about the diesel but nothing about the 1.8 petrol
Can anyone advise the oil capacity  and oil filter location and oil type ie 5-30w etc
I am hoping to do the change this weekend
Thanks in advance
Pete
  • 2013 I30 1.8

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
 :wttc:

The 1.8p will take around 4lts of oil. The filter is accessed from underneath on the front side of the engine. Oil grade is 5w/20 API SJ. A 10w/30 will also be fine.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Is 5w20 really suitable for Australia?  I'm currently using 5w30 - would 10w30 be better for noisier cold operation?

Offline chonkon

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
:wttc:

The 1.8p will take around 4lts of oil. The filter is accessed from underneath on the front side of the engine. Oil grade is 5w/20 API SJ. A 10w/30 will also be fine.
  • 2013 I30 1.8

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Is 5w20 really suitable for Australia?  I'm currently using 5w30 - would 10w30 be better for noisier cold operation?
5W20 is a fuel saving viscosity, 5W30 is better for cold starts than 10W30 as the oil is thinner and circulates quicker, 5W40 is also fine ( it's what I use  :) ) the manual should mention anything up to 0W40 can be used also but probably not necessary in our temps.

Offline Fi30cw2009

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      Espoo
The filter is accessed from underneath on the front side of the engine.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering the same thing - guides I've found online have it accessed by removing the plastic engine cover, and my manual makes no mention of the filter as far as I can tell. Do you have a diagram or clearer instructions on where exactly to find the filter and how to remove it? I don't have stands or anything, so my access to the underside of the car is somewhat limited, but I'd otherwise be happy to change it myself.
  • i30cw 2009

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering the same thing - guides I've found online have it accessed by removing the plastic engine cover, and my manual makes no mention of the filter as far as I can tell. Do you have a diagram or clearer instructions on where exactly to find the filter and how to remove it? I don't have stands or anything, so my access to the underside of the car is somewhat limited, but I'd otherwise be happy to change it myself.
A set of ramps would be your best bet, aside from removing the oil filter ( unscrew anti clockwise to remove ) you'll need access to the sump plug to drop the oil.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Its pretty simple. Have a look underneath between the radiator and engine. The tray is fairly small and you should be able to see the filter easily enough.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal