i30 Owners Club

Interior upgrades

Rosin · 14 · 5116

Offline Rosin

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Dallas, Texas
In general, I'm pretty happy with my Elantra Touring. However, I do really like leather. I have this a weird idea, and I'm not sure how feasible it is. Someday, in the future, when I have time and money, I want to buy a donor car, something with a bad engine but a nice interior. I want to take the leather seats, steering wheel, shift knob, and any other fancy interior bits that catch my eye and put them in my car. Maybe the wheels and door handles too. Then, when I'm done picking over it, I'd sell what's left of the donor car. Does this sound like something that can be done? If so, what would be a good donor car?
  • 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring, 5-Door Wagon, 2.0L, Auto, Soul-Numbing Gray

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Rosin and :welcum:

Nice idea, but probably not as easy as it sounds. Obviously the most likely compatible fit would be a higher model version of your existing car but suspect the chances of coming across one with good interior and poor mechanicals would be very slim. Because the seats contain airbags you would need to ensure the seats out of anything else not only had the same mounting points but also compatible connectors etc..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It's not all bad news though. If it were me I would try and search the net for leather seat covers, leather steering wheel covers and leather gear nob etc... There is some surprisingly affordable stuff available out of China and other Asian countries. 

By all means check your local wreckers yards for compatible Hyundais, but I would be very surprised if you found one.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Rosin

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Dallas, Texas
Thank y'all for the input. By the time I have this car paid off, it will probably make more sense for me to buy a nice used Volvo. Nobody really thinks about Volvo, so used ones tend to be really cheap, especially when you consider that they're Swedish luxury cars with a good reputation for safety and reliability.
  • 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring, 5-Door Wagon, 2.0L, Auto, Soul-Numbing Gray

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Depends, Rosin. You might take on a labour of love and gradually re-upholster a spare set of car seats in leather and then swap them out. That'd be something more original and distinctive than getting a Volvo. :victory:

:link: LEATHER UPHOLSTERY- A Bucket-Seat From Scratch - YouTube
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Your "taste" worries me sometimes, Gonz.   :lol:
@Rosin I had the interior in my original FD i30 re-trimmed in leather and never regretted it.
If you search the gallery you'll find some pics.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Your "taste" worries me sometimes, Gonz.   :lol:
It was a random Google instructable hit! :crazy1:

Critics everywhere  :Pout:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
This won't be earth-shattering news but for those with relatively low tech cars, old smartphones and tablets are getting a new lease on life. I'd previously mentioned Maps.Me as a great free app giving spoken navigation and a host of other features we expect from dedicated GPS devices. Well even my dedicated GPS with lifetime updates still needs to use a PC via USB to get them, while my throwaway phone gets the free app updated via wifi. With a cheap tablet, you've the same thing, just as free, just as offline, only big enough to rival dedicated 2DIN systems.

So just a random piece of advice for low tech drivers: let's have a chat before you throw away your phone or tablet.

Or send them to me. :whistler:

Slydog
Thank y'all for the input. By the time I have this car paid off, it will probably make more sense for me to buy a nice used Volvo. Nobody really thinks about Volvo, so used ones tend to be really cheap, especially when you consider that they're Swedish luxury cars with a good reputation for safety and reliability.

Volvo haven't been  Swedish for almost 20 years now, it was bought out by Ford in 1999 and then sold again to a Chinese company in 2010.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Goodness Subst (fu**)I didn't know that.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
It's hard to keep up about who owns what with share takeovers going on all the time. Today I heard Bega bought Vegemite! :faint:

Offline barryden

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Fl
Going to a local upholstery shop can be a cheaper option that buying online.
  • Elantra

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Going to a local upholstery shop can be a cheaper option that buying online.
I doubt that, upholsterers charge like wounded bulls and more than likely several hundred more than something like these  :link: MOBIS Factory Leather Seat Cover Set - Shark Racing

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal