i30 Owners Club

True MPG Figures ?

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hi All,

Is anyone in the same position as myself that finds the Trip Computer does not reflect the true figure of mpg and is out by approximately 8% :eek:.  On my new 1.6 edition model, with the last 3 fillups, it shows approx 43 mpg, but when I work it out the old fashioned way with pencil & paper, this equates to roughly 39.4897 mpg 8).

I still find this all so frustrating [albeit not bad for petrol] as the salesman advised I should get approx 42 mpg on most travels.

Anyway, he's probably now selling sand to the arabs  :lol: :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Trev.. are you filling to the brim each time for consistency, or using the same pump each time until say the 2nd click?..When I checked my diesel a couple of times (during my ownership) it was closer than that i think (only about .1 out) :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I find my trip is fairly accurate.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hi Daz

Hi Trev.. are you filling to the brim each time for consistency, or using the same pump each time until say the 2nd click?..When I checked my diesel a couple of times (during my ownership) it was closer than that i think (only about .1 out)

I always fill it to the brim and stop. Then I put more in until I hear the click and stop. I always reset the trip computer so I know exactly what I am getting from every individual tankful. My first two were giving me approx 40mpg but the last one dropped to 38 mpg so my average so far is about 39mpg.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hi Daz

Hi Trev.. are you filling to the brim each time for consistency, or using the same pump each time until say the 2nd click?..When I checked my diesel a couple of times (during my ownership) it was closer than that i think (only about .1 out)

I always fill it to the brim and stop. Then I put more in until I hear the click and stop. I always reset the trip computer so I know exactly what I am getting from every individual tankful. My first two were giving me approx 40mpg but the last one dropped to 38 mpg so my average so far is about 39mpg.

Are you not just being a little harsh here??  The trip computer is constantly monitoring the fuel level and re-calculating what it "thinks" you have done and will do, but it does not know if you have spent an extra five minutes sitting in traffic compared to "normal" or indeed if you have pushed the loud pedal a little harder than "normal".  Did you have an extra piece of toast for breakfast and that bar of chocolate in the afternoon??

If you can absolutely assure us that you drive EXACTLY the same way for the same length of time on the same roads in the same traffic density every single day then a 1mpg difference is not significant in any way and actually only amounts to about 11 miles of difference per tankful.

When manufacturers claim acceleration, speed and consumption figures they are seldom obtainable by Joe Public, their acceleration tests are performed with thrashing the gearbox, the clutch is not used between gears they are just thrown in, speed and consumption are performed with the most equipment light version of the car available with no electrics (lights, screen demist or AC off) and the car is driven by an 8 stone person on a flat test track firstly at city speeds (30mph) to obtain that figure, then at 56mph constantly to obtain that figure (with a fully warmed up engine).  These figures do not take into account the fact that you seldom reach 30mph in our cities and that when we find open road, it is such a relief to be finally moving that we whizz up past 56mph in order to make up all that "lost" time, then there are the hills to contend with :rolleyes:

On the Hyundai UK site the figures for 1.6 engine are 35mpg urban and 43.5 for combined, knowing this do you genuinely expect to get a regular 42?  Are all your journeys on the open road with no city driving at all??

Not trying to upset you, just a different point of view :)
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

When manufacturers claim acceleration, speed and consumption figures they are seldom obtainable by Joe Public, their acceleration tests are performed with thrashing the gearbox, the clutch is not used between gears they are just thrown in, speed and consumption are performed with the most equipment light version of the car available with no electrics (lights, screen demist or AC off) and the car is driven by an 8 stone person on a flat test track firstly at city speeds (30mph) to obtain that figure, then at 56mph constantly to obtain that figure (with a fully warmed up engine).  These figures do not take into account the fact that you seldom reach 30mph in our cities and that when we find open road, it is such a relief to be finally moving that we whizz up past 56mph in order to make up all that "lost" time, then there are the hills to contend with :rolleyes:

On the Hyundai UK site the figures for 1.6 engine are 35mpg urban and 43.5 for combined, knowing this do you genuinely expect to get a regular 42?  Are all your journeys on the open road with no city driving at all??

Not trying to upset you, just a different point of view :)

As far as I know all manufactures use rolling roads for all of the figures they use as regards fuel consumption. So there is no air flow resistance for one. Performance figures are as you said. They also trash most of the cars they use for performance figures. This happens because they find the best theoretical figure for the engine revs when starting then just slip their foot of the clutch side ways. Instant pain for all of the transmission, drive shafts etc  :lol:

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hi Bumpkin.

Thank you. A very good script you wrote and I will take it all on board. It is just very frustrating when [ALL] car manufacturers give these figures and [ALL] drivers try to attain them but fail. It would be much better if they actually tested cars on the real roads and gave the real figures. That way, we would be able to match these figures on a regular basis.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal