i30 Owners Club

2019 Nline rattles

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi all

My 2019 Nline is almost due for its 10k service. I’ve noticed a few rattles developI got - particularly on the newer harsh bitumen. The worst appears to be coming from the Speedo area. I’m guessing it’s the plastic cover. You can only hear it in the harsh rough bitumen.

Is this worth mentioning or is this just normal wear and tear you’d expect?

Thanks all!
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Well, it's your hard earned $$$$.
I know what I'd be doing.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
No harm in mentioning it I guess. They’ll tell me soon enough if it’s just expected wear and tear!
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Just don't you be the first to suggest that's an answer you're willing to accept.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Robbo,

That's a bit disappointing. My SR was pretty well built and rattle free for the 28 months I had her. Quite possibly something rattling elsewhere. For example I've recently had a rattle in my Hybrid which sounded like it was coming from one of the passenger side doors but after finding nothing loose in either of the door pockets I isolated it to my sunglasses in the overhead compartment. Not sure why they have just started rattle in there.  :crazy1:

If it definitely isn't something loose in glove box or elsewhere then ask them to investigate for sure but sometimes you are better off fixing rattles yourself. You will be more gentle and permanent with the modification be it a bit of packing or whatever..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Just don't you be the first to suggest that's an answer you're willing to accept.
Absolutely,  and, if  "wear and tear"  is the answer   :foottap:  :TutTut:  :censored:  :censored:  :fuckyou: :fuckyou: :fuckyou:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
There is a well known rattle in the uk N and n-line that sounds like its coming from the dash, more off a " buzz".

When it starts push up with one finger on light housing in the roof. If it stops rattling its caused by a cable up there. easy enough to fix by removing the lamp housing and adding a little tape/padding.

The sound from this buzz projects down the windscreen.

The other one we get (when the weather is cool) is is from the scuttle to winscreen interface. Pushing on the windscreen offers temporary relief. Fixed by removing the wipers and scuttle and and adding rubber padding on the clips where the window connects to the  scuttle. takes about 30 minutes to fix.

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
That’s a good comparison for me Dazzler and nice to know that I wouldn’t be being just another annoying customer!

I’ve tried to isolate each rattle and take everything out. It only happens very freshly laid rough bitumen. If on a normal road there is no rattle.

Exactly Lorian! The more annoying rattle comes from the speedo area and is that really high pitched sound and is more of a ‘buzz’. This buzz is relieved if I put pressure against the steering wheel. Has there been any documented fix for this one?

The light housing is the other one! Is this what is causing the speedo ‘buzz’ or are they two separate issues? Putting pressure on the light housing fixed that rattle but the buzz coming from the speedo still remained.

I don’t think I have that wiper rattle you mention.

See what they say I guess. Hopefully wear and tear won’t be the answer guys!

Cheers
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  Hopefully wear and tear won’t be the answer guys!

I haven't seen them use that as an excuse for rattles (particularly during the warranty period)

They are more likely to say no fault found or they couldn't hear it/them.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It has to be freezing out to get the windscreen rattle;-)

Fix the lighting buzz first, I thought it came from the dash/cluster to start with.....

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Yeah I think the approach will be that they will say they can't replicate/hear them...

I live in Canberra which gets below 0 this time of year.

Maybe my dealer will be aware of these 'sounds' and can take a look for me at my first service!
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal