i30 Owners Club

Feeling Sportyage

bumpkin · 17 · 3757

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
You know how it is, you just go for a browse and to have a look at something in the flesh and the next thing you know it is months end, the deal consists of a good discount, a good price for your existing one and you are home with a new one.

Here is my new Kia Sportage 3 1.7CRDi EcoDynamics then!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 22:14:35 by bumpkin »
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Nice car Brian. 

Many miles of carefree motoring
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Congrats Brian! I quite like the look of them and you didn't get the arguably ugly new headlights... :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Not sure what you mean about the headlights Dazz, they all have the shape that mine has in UK spec, do the Australian ones have a different look?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes Brian, I think the new top of the range and maybe other models too, come with like square headlights with 4 round projectors in them like the Proceed GT.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Actually looking at this review it's the driving lights that are different. Like your front better... http://www.motoring.com.au/kia-sportage-2016-review-101002/?gclid=CILFlYnlgs0CFQokvQodBRgFJQ

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Ahhh, no that is the GT with the ice cube LEDS, also available here but only in 1.6 Turbo guise.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fairy nuff as Dave would say. .

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Always liked the Sportage.

Shame that they can only seem to find a way to put the diesel in the more expensive models.

Surley between Hyundai and Kia there would be a market for a poverty pack diesel....I would have even put up with the ugly orange radio....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
That is interesting, in the UK we get a 1 spec (still has more features than it's rivals) with the same diesel engine as my 3,  the higher up the range gets the 2.0CRDi.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Great plate!
Scottish Wonder
Klassic Ed Job.   :D 
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
First 1000 miles put onto the Sportage so that must mean mini report time.

Car is very refined, diesel engines have certainly improved a lot since my days of driving Nissan Bluebird taxis!  I would say that of course compared to a petrol engine you have to work the gearbox a good deal more, no more than 4th for 30 mph, 5th for 40.  Despite that the gearbox is nice and smooth and despite the size of the vehicle has a short throw so is not unpleasant to work up and down the gears.

I have only had to fill her three times so far, fuelly tells me that she is about 5p per mile cheaper to run than the Cee'd was.  An interesting set of features revealed themselves at the end of my first tank, as expected the yellow fuel light came on, at the same time a written low fuel warning appeared in the driver information display, then the sat nav went all "I will look after you" on me and asked me if it should find the nearest fuel station.  All very impressive, but a little disconcerting the first time you see it!  Fuel consumption is sitting at 42mpg which I think is pretty good for a vehicle of this size doing my 2x3 mile commute and only getting longer runs at the weekend.  I am looking forward to a trip to Glasgow in a couple of weeks time and seeing what I'll get on a longer journey.

I really like the live speed information display, the camera picks up on the speed limit signs and displays them on the driver info display as well as the sat nav unit, particularly helpful in areas with roadworks.

The DAB radio is excellent, my local radio station gives up the ghost very easily on FM, but with DAB I have yet to find it cease broadcasting in areas where FM would have been gone.  I also like the ability of the headunit to display the album artwork when playing via bluetooth or USB.

Both Kim and I commented on an odd feeling in the steering during our first drives of the car, you would be driving along quite happily and feel the wheel pulling then going light before returning to normal.  I originally thought that the car only had LDWS (lane departure warning system) but on closer reading of the f***ing manual it became apparent that my model has lane keep assist system (LKAS) which utilises the front camera to give an aid if it thinks you are veering off lane.  On normal UK single lane A roads I think it is perhaps less useful than on dual carriageways or motorways, however once you get used to it, it is less intrusive than the first few times you feel it working.

I have not yet used the automatic high beam assist system for the headlights so cannot comment on that feature at this point, won't be long before the nights start getting darker again though and I can see how it all works.

Another feature of this car is automatic rear window cleaning when you engage reverse, a feature which I have found doesn't quite do what you want it to due to the other features of the car.  This automatically cleans the rear screen if the front wipers are ON.  This model has auto wipers (which doesn't do that initialisation sweep on a dry screen if you forget to switch the auto setting off), but the auto rear screen wipe on engaging reverse does not happen if the front wipers are on AUTO.  Since having cars with auto wipers I have not yet ever felt the need to go to setting 1 or 2 as auto goes from intermittent to constant if it needs to.  It would therefore be nice if the auto rear sweep noticed that the front wipers were on auto and being used.

Other than that tiny wee quibble, I really like the Sportage 3, I think it looks different enough from the other mid SUV style vehicles to stand out from the crowd, has a good level of gadgets, despite having less than the Cee'd and is a really smooth comfortable drive. 

Roll on the next 1000 miles! :Drive:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Cheers Brian.

Many miles of happy and it appears, cheaper motoring
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds great Brian, thanks for the report. :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Great car Brian - happy motoring.

There is mention on the KIA forum today of someone who has ordered a new Sportage but has had to ask the dealer to run a power feed into the boot for a rear car cam. He claims the new Sportage does not have a power socket in the boot. Seem strange to me - my i30's and Vengas have had them.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The new Sportage does not have a power outlet in the boot, that has been replaced by one as well as a USB power socket (not connected to headunit so only for charging) in the rear of the centre console so more user friendly for rear seat passengers on the move (but less helpful for a cool box for example).

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I bet it doesn't have a refrigerated cocktail cabinet either....... :rofl:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal