i30 Owners Club

Ac stopped working

sundiz · 8 · 6548

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I had my AC serviced few months back, as I knew hot summer days were coming. AC started to go on and off when temperatures rose. I thoughts it might be due overfill, as some shops tend to put little bit of extra as those system leak a bit during time.

On thursday, which was and probably will be the hottest day of 2021 my AC stopped working. I just got on highway ramp when I felt that it was no longer making cold air. 30-34C for 2.5 hours. One of the worst divers I remember.

Today I finally got to check the system. I measured the system. Button works, fuse works. Control signal goes to the relay. Relay works. Power signal from relay goes to the compressor, but compressor clutch will not engage. Maybe the clutch has worn out and the shims need to be changed, or then the compressor is fubar.

Of course AC system have built in protection, but I would imagine they would work so that it will not activate the relays at all if it detects over or under pressure in the system. Now I get power to compressor, but it will not engage. Really would not like to invest new compressor to this old car. Maybe I just struggle the hot days for a month. Then the fall comes and temps drop. Could drive the winter and sell the car in the spring.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
I would take it to a reputable shop and get them to check the pressures, and see if letting some pressure off helps. I am not sure on specifics of this car, but i know many cars have a pressure sensor which wont let the pump start if the pressure is too high/full. Also some pumps have a sensor on the side that can often give trouble and wont let the pump engage, i forget what its for but i have read about it on my Toyota.
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
 Are these sensors internal in the compressor? From the top view I was only able to see 1 wire going in the compressor and I get power to that when ac button is pressed on. That should give the coil power to move the clutch, unless there is some internal relay in the compressor.

I'll have too if I could find time to pull inner wheel fender off to get better access.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I was able to investigate ac a bit more. The coil that should pull the ac clutch seems to be dead. It gets power, but nothing happens. I was not able to get resistance measurements through the coil. As I said, only one wire goes to the ac compressor. That wire is the wire for the coil. Other end of the coil is connected to the case of ac compressor and it gets grounded through the compressor. There should be electrical connection between those points, but there is not. Also my obd reader detects that all ac components should be on, when button is pressed (button, relay, compressor). So power goes to the coil, but nothing happens. I believe this is also the case if clutch is too worn out, but I would imagine that there should be some connection between the coil wires.

Separate coils are being sold, but I may need to get also new clutch and maybe new ac pulley & bearing. Changing those will be unpleasant. Inner wheel cover and engine bay cover needs to come off to gain access. Looks like removing front bumber would give more space... I''ll have to check if those parts are not too expensive.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
Are these sensors internal in the compressor?
On my Toyota it is able to be removed without dismantling the compressor, but the Hyundai is a different beast and a lot newer so i would like to think a bit more improved... yeah dreams are free.

I would imagine the solenoid on the front should be able to be replaced without dismantling and removing all the refrigerant, the ones i have seen are a buch of screws to remove off the front of the pulley, but again they would have been on different cars.

i wish we had an easily accessible manual to refer to, feels like such a step back after the last lot of Toyotas and Hondas which can easily find manuals for online. :|

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I got back home and was able to check few things from workshop manual and epc.
Clutch, drive belt wheel and coil comes just off from the compressor axel. One bolt and two lock washers keep those in place.

Did not find any local shops that sell those parts. Few online shops sold those parts separately, but the prices were coming over 50% of the whole compressor. I was able to find one online shop which sold all these parts for 90€. Some sort of cheap general part set which should suit many different cars. If they do not work, i'll just sweat the rest of this summer and get a new car in the winter/spring.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
could just get them from a wreckers?

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
could just get them from a wreckers?