i30 Owners Club

2 year service dilemma --- name a price, any price!

feldom · 17 · 7388

Offline feldom

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Ilkley

• Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
i30 Comfort diesel, 2 years old, 14000 miles
Ring up Hyundai dealer A who quotes me £281. Ring Hyundai dealer B who quotes £270. Ring independent (vat registered) garage who has given me good service in the past who quotes £216 to include a full brake strip down.
Dealer B then rings me back and this chap says he works in the sales side and "the service manager won't like it" but he says he can get the service for £230. Oh, and I would get the Hyundai dealer stamp in the book.
Don't like this very much. So dealer B has moved from £270 to £230. Was he going to over charge me in the first instance? Or is he going to miss out £40 worth of servicing?
My actual belief is that I would get the best service from the independant but I would not get the Hyundai stamp in the book.
Any thoughts and opinions, please.

Thanks Mike

Offline jsc2012

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
Indy all the way! By doing a good job you would be loyal and help their business.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
For the sake of 14 pounds I would go the Dealer. I have been in Sales of some sort for over 35 years and I admire the dealer for calling you back .. These are tough times and they would be thinking long term getting you back in the dealership and exposing you to their new models.

But get something in writing... :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Dealer B then rings me back and this chap says he works in the sales side and "the service manager won't like it" but he says he can get the service for £230. Oh, and I would get the Hyundai dealer stamp in the book.

Worth seeing if they will come down to the indep price.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline feldom

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Ilkley

• Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Just had the service done at the dealer who quoted me £230.  Oddly enough he found a tracking fault which he said he could fix for £41.70. I said leave it. When I picked up the car I did the hands off wheel test and it was straight as a die.
Also got a warning "Rear brake pads 60-65% worn, slight brake noise on road test". £112.57 to fix it. Leave it again. This is a bit worrying the car is 2 years old with 13884 on the clock, serviced at 7000 miles no problems. Does this look like a sticking piston and should I write to Hyundai about possible warranty issues.
The other bits of the service (that I could see) appear to have been completed but why is it I always feel as though I have been ripped-off or about to be ripped-off.
Well at least it didn't rain today.  :D

Offline jsc2012

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
I have a hunch that when my car goes in for service they will give me no trouble. When I then show them the email from HQ that the service is free, there will suddenly be a nice long list of things to put right......Still since they are franchaised I guess they all have to make money somehow.....customer service aside, the bills and wages still need to be paid...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good point jsc .. I try to be fair in these situations. I don't mind paying a fair rate (just don't like being ripped off)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Also got a warning "Rear brake pads 60-65% worn, slight brake noise on road test".

I don't know your car's history, have you owned it since new :question: It won't be a brake piston fault if it's on both wheels. I would also suspect it would be noticeable when driving and reflected in your fuel consumption too. Next time you drive it, avoid heavy brake applications (if you can), & feel your rims when you stop to see if they are excessively warm.

As far as getting ripped off, it's a risk we all take. I was quoted for a service by our dealer, after the figure was quoted I said "now if I supply the oil & filters, what's the price?" It was substantially less, so it proved there is quite a markup on these items if you let the dealer supply them. They performed the service and I didn't feel quite as ripped off.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
i30 Comfort diesel, 2 years old, 14000 miles
Ring up Hyundai dealer A who quotes me £281. Ring Hyundai dealer B who quotes £270. Ring independent (vat registered) garage who has given me good service in the past who quotes £216 to include a full brake strip down.
Don't like this very much. So dealer B has moved from £270 to £230. Was he going to over charge me in the first instance? Or is he going to miss out £40 worth of servicing?
My actual belief is that I would get the best service from the independant but I would not get the Hyundai stamp in the book.
Any thoughts and opinions, please.

Thanks Mike

I have a service agreement through my dealer.  Before I signed up I obtained prices for all the services up to 5 years which were  at that time;

Year 1 / 20000 £158.52
Year 2 / 40000 £272.11
Year 3 / 60000 £203.08
Year 4 / 80000 £314.02
Year 5 / 10000 £158.52
Total               £1106.25

Allowing for inflation I will be in pocket over the 5 services.

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
My local dealer (which I suspect is the same one as yours Mike) did my first 2 services. Last year I went independent but using genuine parts. This year (4th service) the Hyundai dealer is trying to get my business back by offering me non-genuine parts to compete on price saying it won't affect the warranty!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
This year (4th service) the Hyundai dealer is trying to get my business back by offering me non-genuine parts to compete on price saying it won't affect the warranty!

So long as same or better quality will warranty be intact
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
This year (4th service) the Hyundai dealer is trying to get my business back by offering me non-genuine parts to compete on price saying it won't affect the warranty!

He would be better off offering a discount on the genuine parts....his margin is big enough!

So what would the savings be on the parts?  And what brand (if any) parts would he use?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

He would be better off offering a discount on the genuine parts....his margin is big enough!

So what would the savings be on the parts?  And what brand (if any) parts would he use?
You may be right but dealerships pay a lot more for their parts from the vehicle manufacturer than you might expect. Their margins are less than an independednt would make on after market components. It's the vehicle manufacturer who makes big money when they sell to the dealer.

I reckon this guy could lose his dealership agreement if Hyundai finds out about this.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK

I reckon this guy could lose his dealership agreement if Hyundai finds out about this.

I think they were basically saying that most of the parts used in a service are consumables related to wear and tear which is not covered anyway, unlike if they fitted a major part like a new clutch for example.
The guy seemed embarrassed when telling me 'genuine' wiper blades would cost over £60

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

The guy seemed embarrassed when telling me 'genuine' wiper blades would cost over £60

Tesco/Asda/Costco are selling the floppy, flexy type blades for around £6/7.  I fitted a set to my wife's Getz a few months back and they are excellent quality.....and using them cannot affect warranty.

As an aside my dealer charges £3 for washer fluid despite that fact that the  tank is topped right up before they get the car.
I am told the service "pack"  includes this but when I asked why I wasn't offered the top up fluid to take away he said it comes from a bulk supply.  :undecided:

As does the oil which is charged out at 'per litre' prices!  :fum:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

You may be right but dealerships pay a lot more for their parts from the vehicle manufacturer than you might expect. Their margins are less than an independednt would make on after market components. It's the vehicle manufacturer who makes big money when they sell to the dealer.

Not when my brother was a buyer for a major manufacturer. But that is a few years back.
However, I can get parts for the same make either as an employee or through my trade club card (same prices) at large discounts.  Fully synthetic oil sourced from  by a major oil company but branded as the car maker is £20 for 5 litres fully synthetic meeting the manufacturer's specification.
Shell C3 oil to   Hyundai spec for the i30 diesel can be bought in French hypermarkets at around £35 for five litres compared to the £65 my dealer charges for Castrol. A couple of cans get added to my wine selection each time I cross the Channel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not sure if it is still the case (or is the same in other countries) But the identical KIA parts (for the KIA Soul Diesel) were quite  a bit cheaper (20% or so) from the KIA Dealer than the equivalent Hyundai part (when we had our CRDi)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal