i30 Owners Club

2017 SR to 2021 N Transplant !

Offline FDGazza

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Dear All,

I would like to share the following project .
I own a 2017 Hyundai I30 SR with 45000 km's that is a great car in it self.
I recently successfully transplanted an entire   2021 I30 N 8 speed DCT 
( statutory write off )with 14000 km's , no airbag deployment, service log and both key's   into the  I30SR.
This transplant was carried out by myself ,and  included everything , engine, gearbox , brakes suspension , all electrics, looms, dash window regulators full interior and so on , in short the only thing left from the original SR is anything with white paint on it. A replacement radiator  was sourced from Sunco Hyundai Caloundra.
Front radiator support frame , and transmission oil cooler were repaired.
After this job was completed the vehicle was inspected here in QLD Australia and fitted with a modification  plate and issued with a certificate covering all aspects of the transplant.

I also registered the I30N donor car with Hyundai Australia in case of recalls and as it turned out ,there was one involving a software update on the 8 speed DCT.
The recall was carried out by Sunco Hyundai Caloundra with help and info from Michael ,the service manager there.

So in short, a " transplant" is virtually a strait swap with a few very minor changes like moving brake line support brackets and a few studs on the fire wall.

I've attached some pictures for your info

Please note ,If you are contemplating doing  a transplant , it can only be done from SR or N Line to N due to the independent rear suspension , the body shell is quite different from the standard PD

Cheers,

Gary.

• 2021 I30N PDe 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0lt,Turbo 8 speed DCT, White

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
FDGazza, welcome to the forum.

That transplant was quite a project.  I am impressed as I have a small understanding of what is involved.  I do like your: " ...in short the only thing left from the original SR is anything with white paint on it."  That sums it up well.

From your photos it looks like you have a large, well-equipped workshop.  I am envious.

Would you mind saying why did you do this?  And, are you a mechanic (sorrry, showing my age, I meant "technician" ;)).  Not matter your qualifications, I am sure the forum would benefit from your knowledge/experience in things automotive (and with i30's in particular) if you would contribute when you can.

Lastly, how useful do you find the scissor hoist compared to a two-post hoist?
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline FDGazza

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Terry ,

Thank you for your reply!
Yes mate , I'm an old school , young at hart 66 yo mechanic !
Why did I take it on ? Well a few reasons,
1 I was told by the dealer that the waiting time for a new one , pending color  could be up to 15 months...
2 Low km used ones are selling for more than a new one at the moment.
3  I liked the idea of a white " sleeper " N
4  I liked the challenge this project presented, I can now say I know every nut and bolt of the I30 PD bar the inside of engine and   gearbox!  Mind you ,I have the benefit of a work shop manual and online parts info .
It also showed how well these cars are designed and built.

I still have all the original SR 1.6T and DCT running gear so now looking to put that into a standard I30,

The sissor hoist is fantastic , takes little room , no posts to run in to .

Happy to help with any questions that forum members might have ,

Cheers, Gaz

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Gaz, thanks for the reply.  Just shows me how far out of the loop I am.  I had no idea of the waiting times nor the prices that second-hand i30's presently command.  I've got my little 2018 i30 SR turbo and I'm happy in my bubble. :)

Your reason No.3 "I liked the idea of a white "sleeper" N.  Now that I do understand.  I had a 2006 STi, oem 155 kW at the rear wheels.  A few years later, 310 kW.   On the street, it looked like Photo 1, oem, a sleeper and driven like Miss Daisy.  When it got trailered to the track, it looked like Photo 2, big front splitter, big rear wing, race wheels etc and it was a tiger (club level motorsport only).

You said: Happy to help with any questions that forum members might have.  Bless you, my son (I can say that, I'm 78 yo! :) ) .   

Cheers, Terry

Photo 1.

Photo 2.

Photo 3. One of my favourite mechanics looking for that extra kilowatt during a dyno run.  :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Well done FDGazza :goodjob: quite the project and would be an exceptional upgrade to perform, if only I had a workshop like your one :mrgreen:

Offline FDGazza

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks Graig ,

It turned out an awesome car !

Cheers , Gaz

Offline FDGazza

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Terry ,

The I30 SR 16T  are a great car especially with the 7speed DCT  , you could easily do club level track days with it !

Cheers Gaz

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi Terry ,

The I30 SR 16T  are a great car especially with the 7speed DCT  , you could easily do club level track days with it !

Cheers Gaz

Yep, Gaz, they are a good car and I'm still pleased I bought it, but with only 150kW at the flywheel (I think) I do sometimes miss the raw power of the STi (310kW at the rear wheels) when I have to tramp the pedal. 

My i30 may be good enough for track days but my wife informs me that I no longer am!  And after 50 years in, I not arguing with her, she can be mean!  :wink:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal