i30 Owners Club

Boot/trunk lock shorted? Locking and unlocking rapidly while driving

Offline Kenzato

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Norway
Hi guys.

Had an issue in winter where my trunk seemingly froze and didint want to open. Then when it got hotter in the area it did open no problem and carried on thinking nothings wrong.

Then recently while driving my trunk suddenly rapidly unlocked and locked constantly. Had to stop in the road and pull out the fuse for the lock fearing my Hatch would open mid drive.

Looking at the "button" itself the rubber has split open but i assume it wouldnt be as simple as taping that shut.  My Hatch does have some rust on it so im wondering if water has settled internally and is shorting out the switch.

Anyone have similar troubles? Ideally i would have just replaced the entire Hatch since its slightly rusted or at least bought a new "button" but i can't find any here in norway
  • 2012 GD, Diesel 1.6lt crdi, manual, Cashmere brown

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My brother's Kia Rio has had the rubber wear out and the microswitch is now exposed but still works.
I have 3D printed a replacement panel to overcome needing to replace the rubber.
:link: STL file Kia Rio Boot Release Switch Repair 👢・Design to download and 3D print・Cults

In your shoes, I would be removing the inner card to get to the mechanism and give it a good clean, restore operation and then apply some non-reactive sealant to waterproof it, although the best way is to ensure the moisture isn't getting there from any part of the hatch door.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal