i30 Owners Club

Noise in rear of car

Offline 2007464

• 1st Gear
I have had my i30 for two year, and recently I have noticed a 'clunk/dong' sound coming from the rear of the car when I go over speed bumps. At first it was only every now and then. However, it has gotten more frequent, and sometimes occurs when I brake and accelerate. Has anyone else experienced this problem. I have checked for rattles in the boot, and under the car, but I haven't noticed anything out of place or loose.

Any thoughts?

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
i do recall someone else had a rattle recently,
and they found they had bent a bracket under the car,
i will troll around see if i can find it !

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I guess Its more likely to be the loose rubber boots over the top of the shocks than the bracket problem.

I must get mine fixed sometime I can leave the car at the dealers for the day.

If Mr.2007464 cares to take a look at the shocks directly above the rear tyres he should see the offending rubber boots an be able to (very) temporarily push them back up in to place. They don't stay there long though and once they start to drop they soon become VERY loose. The issue doesn't stop the suspension working properly but its pretty annoying.

Offline jay

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My car has also been making a 'doonk' sound mainly over bumps and sometimes when turning, will check those other topics. Just waiting for my next service.

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"
My car has also been making a 'doonk' sound mainly over bumps and sometimes when turning, will check those other topics. Just waiting for my next service.
Mine has also made that noise only once coming out of our driveway, Daz was driving, and I said to him what did you do?  :confused: of course he hadn't done anything but the car hasn't done it since. When we got our service last week I did asked them to check it out, they couldn't find anything wrong, so i'm hoping that it was a once of.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
It is sometimes the case that you get a terrible rattle from the back of the car when you and your wife give your mother-in-law a lift........... :goodjob:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It is sometimes the case that you get a terrible rattle from the back of the car when you and your wife give your mother-in-law a lift........... :goodjob:

That's more of a howl or a whine, Alan. :scared:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal