Mutley · 210 · 77000

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
its a pitty i cant get cheap oil... with bp owning castrol and all :(

Pip
Pip, I just read an old post of yours and you stated that after putting in the GC 0w30 you noticed worse fuel economy. Is this still the case?

That was the case compared to Castrol Edge 5w30, yes. The economy I'm getting now on GC is 4.9l/100km. On a trip this is about 4.5l/100km. I'm more than happy with that.

Pip
Also Harold is giving a little discount...especially on buying 24 bottles.

Not by my reckoning unless you are talking about the shipping.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
its a pitty i cant get cheap oil... with bp owning castrol and all :(
Would you like some of the castrol 0w30 if I get a bunch?

$340 delivered equals $14.167 per bottle as opposed to $17.167 for 6 bottles. I know it's not huge but it's something.

I'd only do that if someone else wants some too though.

Pip

Sorry, you are quite right, I missed the bracketed amount. Hmm, you did better than me then, no discount for 12 when I bought... but I picked up... I live nearby. :D

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Maybe I should wait until I live in Melbourne hahaha, but I think I'll reach 15000kms before then.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Just rang 3 different dealers for a quote on the service.

Keystar: $312 with oil, ~$200 without
Zupps: $330 with oil, ~$270 without
Marooka: $297 with oil, $193 without

Funny thing is I prefer to get it done at Zupps. Will have to bargain with them when the time comes I guess!

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
HOLY CRAP... thats expensive... people actually pay that?

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Of course. New car, new car warranty, not wanting to get their hands dirty.
I will be paying for it. Sure I could do it myself easily but it's a new car and I'm not getting another 3rd party workshop to work on the car.

So you in for any of that GC 0w30 oil?

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
dunno... i was planning on buying a 20L drum of oil!

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
Just had Smokey serviced whilst they had her checking on the cod start smoke issue.

I took up the intermediate service option for 7500km's seeing as I will be touring next month and most of October.

They changed the oil filter and oil using Valvoline Synpower B4 OW/40 charging AUD$74.48 for 4.9L which is quite expensive. The Filter was charged at AUD$32.21

Looking the oil up I found this:

"Quote - 'Best'
Sometimes only the best will do. Severe and high performance applications can be met with
Valvoline's SynPower range. Valvoline’s SynPower motor oil is specially
formulated with 100% synthetic base stocks for ultimate protection, high performance, long drain
and severe service application. How do I make the right choice? SynPower 0W-40, MXL 0W-30, 5W-40
and 10W-50 - Maximum thermal and oxidation stability - Fully compatible with all conventional motor oils - Offers superior low temperature and high temperature properties - Optimum cold start properties - Lowest oil burnoff - Enhanced wear protection
  - End Quote"
Source http://www.valvoline.com.au/pdf/Essential%20Guide%20to%20Motor%20Oil%20Brochure%20FINAL.pdf

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Well I've bought some GC 0w30 now and will be putting it in around a months time.

I did look up valvoline oils, if I was to get one it would have been the SynPower MXL 0W-30.

Let us know how you think it fairs :)

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
The GC went in at the service today. They used the most part of 6quarts. Now the car purrrrrs along, its so nice, better than new now :)

Gotta hand it to Marooka Hyundai, they did a fantastic job at the service and fixed/checked numerous things I mentioned. I have a feeling they did more than just an oil and filter change. It just drives so much nicer now. TSB SE06610 was done. This was my key not working properly sometimes. The only thing was they couldn't get rid of a rattle I have. Further investigation needed........They also filled my washer fluid as per my request, did fuel treatment and scan tool test. :D

I just can't get over how nice it is now......so good, thanks Pip!!

Pip
The GC went in at the service today. They used the most part of 6quarts. Now the car purrrrrs along, its so nice, better than new now :)

Welcome. 8)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Gotta hand it to Marooka Hyundai, they did a fantastic job at the service and fixed/checked numerous things I mentioned. I have a feeling they did more than just an oil and filter change. It just drives so much nicer now. TSB SE06610 was done. This was my key not working properly sometimes. The only thing was they couldn't get rid of a rattle I have. Further investigation needed........They also filled my washer fluid as per my request, did fuel treatment and scan tool test. :D

Good thing you bought your German Castrol when you did, Mutley...I see it's unavailable now.
Fingers crossed Harold gets more sometime soonish....

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Oh really? Well good thing I have extra sitting waiting for next time :D

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day all,

I'm looking at getting some German Castrol for my I30 (1.6 Cw).

With the US dollar nearly at parity with the A$ is there anywhere in the states that could send some over? Or will freight kill it. I see that it is nearly half price there so it might be worthwhile!

Since Hyundai want $300 to do an oil change on my car (aka the 15000k service) I was thinking of getting the good stuff for about $100 and getting my normal mechanic to do the service, it will still be much cheaper than Hyundai.

The only problem would be claiming the oil through on my lease.....

How much better is it than the Castrol edge? How does the fuel economy go?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my 15,000km service cost me/us,$220. both our cars are petrol 2.0,$300 sounds a bit steep.  :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
They all say the oil is $100 which is rubbish, they would be buying it in bulk. but it seems that they have all got together and decided that is the price because they are all the same....(give or take 2 bucks). Its worse with the 30,000 they want to charge $600. 

$220 is still a bit steep given all it is is a $10 oil filter, some oil and a first year apprentice to do the change. I would think the $150 charged by Toyota/Mitsubishi would get more punters through the door whilst still making them plenty.

So they miss out on my business I go to the bloke down the road who has done all my servicing. He charges around $120  obviously this would be less with me bringing my own oil and the bonus of a real mechanic having a look under the bonnet and that he is a short walk from home.

The dealer will only get warranty work...stuff them.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Each dealer tends to use different oil......As writen above I paid $193 + GC oil. The dealer does much more than just change the oil. They check/fix numerous things. They know of the TSB's and other problems they've seen in i30's so they know what to look for. Any joe blogs can change oil. It's all the other things the dealer knows of that is of benefit. Also ring around at a few dealers, you can see the price variance I wrote above.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
well put mutley.  :cool: on some of our major services the, trans/gearbox,brake fluid and clutch fluides are changed as well as a lot more you don't see.  :wink:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
trans/gearbox,brake fluid and clutch fluides are changed

manual gear box is "filled for life" look in the sepcifications part of your user manual! i hardly think they would change it...

BUT what is "life"??? 100,000? 200,000? 300,000?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i thought it was a long life oil,i posted in the hope i was wrong.  :lol: :wink:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i have no idea what oil they use...

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/default.asp

according to here its just VMX... what ive used in all my manual cars... its pretty good oil IMHO... puts up with motorsport use pretty well (look at my pic and vid in the tyres thread)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
From my tour of Supercheap & Repco in the last day or two - there are no real bargains  about in fully synthetic oil  :'( There is a calibre fully synthetic for about $40 but not not sure how it compares.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
its probably a low "caliber" oil!!!

dad uses the standard caliber (15w40 or such) oil in moms merc... seems fine...

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well now I'm really confused.....

After researching everything and deciding on German Castrol for my 2010 i30cw CRDI. It seems unavailable in Australia.....

I have thought about getting it from the US but it seems like a lot of hassle, and with the car having 13500k on it, I doubt I could get it in time anyway.

So what oil which is easily avaliable in Oz (namely Brisbane) is the best to use? I have looked at a heap and its all getting confusing......

I got the car on the 4/6 so I'm smashing out some fairly big k's of mostly highway miles (at around 120km/h). So there shouldn't be any build up of contaminants. The oil is being changed at the regular 15k mark.

Thanks!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Pretty much any fully synthetic with a viscosity of around 0W-40 or 5W- 30 will do the job .

To some extent price dictates quality .. there are discussions all over this site about the merits (pros and cons) of different brands but it appears cheaper oils such as Castol Edge Sport for example although promoted as fully synthetic are maybe not as good as something like Shell Helix Ultra Extra or Mobil1

and to make it even more confusing apparently Oils like Mobil One have different levels of quality (again dictating their regular selling price)  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
After researching everything and deciding on German Castrol for my 2010 i30cw CRDI. It seems unavailable in Australia.....
Just in case... you did contact Harold?
http://performancelub.com/Castrol%20pricelist.htm
The website still has it listed although he did warn me he may be going to drop it last time we spoke.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal