i30 Owners Club

RaceChip wear and tear.

Chuck · 13 · 2208

Offline Chuck

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Hey!

I've recently gotten a MY18 i30 SR, with the 1.6T DCT (150kW/265Nm), after crashing my baby (2022 Yamaha R7). Looking for something to scratch the itch and will definitely be doing some spirited driving.

Just curious what everyone's experience with these chips are. And what alternatives you might offer (outside 'get an N')
I've read what everyone has said about them previously but that all seemed to be relatively new information at the time of posting.

Cheers.

• MY18 Hyundai i30 SR

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
If you can't handle a massive 72bhp motorcycle, chipping your car might be a bad idea 👍

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hey!
I've recently gotten a MY18 i30 SR, with the 1.6T DCT (150kW/265Nm), after crashing my baby (2022 Yamaha R7). Looking for something to scratch the itch and will definitely be doing some spirited driving.

Just curious what everyone's experience with these chips are. And what alternatives you might offer (outside 'get an N')
I've read what everyone has said about them previously but that all seemed to be relatively new information at the time of posting.

I have no direct experience with Racechip but I do have the same car as you.   BTW, that turbo SR 150kW is at the flywheel and, by my guestimate, is probably about 120kW at the rear wheels which is the more meaningful power rating, imo.

When I first bought my car (new) I had the usual boy racer plans of sneaking in some mods such as ecu tuning, exhaust, coilovers, brakes, tyres etc to accommodate track practice days and supersprints which I used to do in my previous car (a 2006 STi with 310kW at the rear wheels to give you some perspective).  But I changed my mind.  My car is now out of its five-year warranty period so that's not an issue anymore, but I still don't have plans to seriously modify the car as it is more than capable of delivering the driving performance I should be doing on the streets and twisty bits.  Plus, I'm now mucho older!  :)

You asked: "And what alternatives you might offer (outside 'get an N')".  My outside-the-box suggestion is, for the time being, forget about modding the car for it to go faster, get some advanced driver training (lots of it) for you to go faster (and more safely).  Driver training, the SR, and performance tyres, should provide a nippy enough package for the street and twisties, unless you are into traffic light derbies or comparing notes with the Macca car park homeboys. :wink:

If you do go ahead with a Racechip I would be interested in your review of it.
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
If you can't handle a massive 72bhp motorcycle, chipping your car might be a bad idea 👍

Gotta admit, I did have a chuckle at that comment.:laughter:.  But having owned/ridden motorbikes for about 40 years (British, Japanese, Italian) I know their power to weight ratio is good against your average motorcar.

So, over a cuppa and a cream biscuit or two, I did a quick power-to-weight ratio comparison for both vehicles.  For convenience, we'll say the weight of the rider and the driver are the same so that factor can be discounted from consideration.

Yamaha R7  700cc  - Power   54kW.  Weight   190kg.
i30 SR        1600cc   - Power 150kW.  Weight 1880kg.

So, if these figures are *correct (or close enough) and I've done the math's right, the SR has 2.75 times the power but is almost 10 times the weight. 

The R7 should have much better snap-acceleration than the SR but the SR's turbo is no slouch (for its size) when you stamp the pedal in the right gear so both could get you into trouble if you weren't paying attention.

*I didn't spend much time on research so I am quite happy for anyone to fact-check me for any significant difference in my figures.

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
My apologies, it was a silly answer, to answer your question properly, the only thing I found out is that the tuning boxes are a waste of money and a proper ECU tune/reflash would be the way to go, it also would invalidate any warranty on the car as far as I know, 👍

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
...the only thing I found out is that the tuning boxes are a waste of money and a proper ECU tune/reflash would be the way to go, it also would invalidate any warranty on the car as far as I know, 👍

@ Chuck.  I believe that a number of budget-priced tuning chip programs out there may have problems safely and effectively delivering their enticingly promoted power gains of [up to] +25%~30%...and that is with the chip alone i.e. without extras like a performance exhaust/headers etc.

As for RaceChip, I've heard of them but I don't know anyone who has used their chip.  Apparently they have been in business since 2008, which is a good indicator and they do have a slick website with lots of tuning options tailored to specific brands/models. See :link: Engine performance tuning by the global market leader .  I haven't read the site.

PGN I30 said in his post above "..proper ECU tune/reflash would be the way to go, it also would invalidate any warranty on the car as far as I know".  I agree.  When I got my SR I talked to a respected tuner about chipping it and he suggested a Unichip (piggyback system) which is a long established well-known brand that I had used on my 2005 WRX.  But, it is more expensive to buy and get professionally tuned.

One of its benefits of the Unichip was that if you had an engine/power train warranty claim you could easily remove or isolate the hidden Unichip (can't remember which now) and the ECU would revert back to stock readings if the car was scanned by the dealer.

Offline Chuck

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland

Haha fair enough. Was a user issue though, who knew practicing one handed wheelies would lead to crashes… lol
  • MY18 Hyundai i30 SR

Offline Chuck

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I have no direct experience with Racechip but I do have the same car as you.   BTW, that turbo SR 150kW is at the flywheel and, by my guestimate, is probably about 120kW at the rear wheels which is the more meaningful power rating, imo.

No doubt the more meaningful rating. Driver training definitely wouldn’t be a bad idea if I was a slightly smarter individual, twisties are definitely my idea of fun so I’m glad to hear the car doesn’t need anything to be capable there.

If I do go the racechip I’ll let you know how I go.
  • MY18 Hyundai i30 SR

Offline Chuck

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
My apologies, it was a silly answer, to answer your question properly, the only thing I found out is that the tuning boxes are a waste of money and a proper ECU tune/reflash would be the way to go, it also would invalidate any warranty on the car as far as I know, 👍

No worries. That is my concern with the ecu tune/ flash. I did like the idea of being able to remove the racechip for warranty stuff.
  • MY18 Hyundai i30 SR

Offline Chuck

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
...the only thing I found out is that the tuning boxes are a waste of money and a proper ECU tune/reflash would be the way to go, it also would invalidate any warranty on the car as far as I know, 👍

@ Chuck.  I believe that a number of budget-priced tuning chip programs out there may have problems safely and effectively delivering their enticingly promoted power gains of [up to] +25%~30%...and that is with the chip alone i.e. without extras like a performance exhaust/headers etc.

As for RaceChip, I've heard of them but I don't know anyone who has used their chip.  Apparently they have been in business since 2008, which is a good indicator and they do have a slick website with lots of tuning options tailored to specific brands/models. See :link: Engine performance tuning by the global market leader .  I haven't read the site.

PGN I30 said in his post above "..proper ECU tune/reflash would be the way to go, it also would invalidate any warranty on the car as far as I know".  I agree.  When I got my SR I talked to a respected tuner about chipping it and he suggested a Unichip (piggyback system) which is a long established well-known brand that I had used on my 2005 WRX.  But, it is more expensive to buy and get professionally tuned.

One of its benefits of the Unichip was that if you had an engine/power train warranty claim you could easily remove or isolate the hidden Unichip (can't remember which now) and the ECU would revert back to stock readings if the car was scanned by the dealer.

With the uni chip are you saying it’s something you can take to someone to put a custom tune on?
  • MY18 Hyundai i30 SR

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ Chuck.  You asked me: "With the uni chip are you saying it’s something you can take to someone to put a custom tune on?".   Not sure.  Because I bought the Unichip for my 2005 WRX at my tuner's workshop (an authorised Unichip dealer) I'm not sure whether you can rock up to any workshop with a Unichip in hand and ask them to tune it.  You would need to speak to Unichip about the ins-and-outs and costs etc.

The big downside to anyone on a budget is cost, I think Unichip ls a lot dearer.  You may need to do your Goggle searches on both products, check out other car forums etc.

You said:  "Driver training definitely wouldn’t be a bad idea if I was a slightly smarter individual...".  Mate, so, get smarter! :D.  I cannot stress enough the benefits of first learning how to competently handle the power you've got on a race track before modding up your car and unleashing yourself on the public.  :wink:

You also said:  "...twisties are definitely my idea of fun so I’m glad to hear the car doesn’t need anything to be capable there.".  Yes, the car is capable, but within limits.  IMO it needs better tyres and if twisties are your rush then you definitely should get advanced driver training (have I mentioned that before? :p) and a good attitude.   Jesus, I'm sounding like my mother.  But she was the smartest woman I knew.

A truism.  You will very quickly get used to the new power you get with whatever chipping you go with.  When I left the workshop after my first STi tune with an extra 50kW at the wheels (150kW to 200kW) and I hit the pedal I thought Christmas had come early, and this was all I needed.  About a fortnight later when I'd hit the pedal it was all humdrum...and so began the hunt for more and more power (for the track, mainly, club level motorsport). 

BTW, a correction to my first post to you.  I said my guestimate of the SR's power at the rear wheels was 120kW (as opposed to the sales brochure figure of 150kW [at the flywheel]).  I now believe it is closer to 110kW and, for an i30, it is of course delivered to the front wheels. :)   

I think I've exhausted myself on the topic so I hope you find the package you need and will let the forum know how you went.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 04:02:47 by TerryT »

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Ok..  An honest answer from someone who had the Racechip RS on an Oct built 2017 PD SR Manual.  Mine was 1st registered late January 2018 & I brought it early May 2018 as a Demo with just over 3500ks.

I purchase the Racechip RS in June 2018 with around 25,000ks.  It remained on the car until I sold the car in May 2023 with just over 108,000ks.  The car got serviced every 10,000ks, which is every 6 months for me.
I also changed the oil at the 5000ks intervals at home.   I also had the Xforce cat back valved exhaust fitted. 

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any Racechip products to anyone.  Mine gave me no problems whatsoever in the just over 80,000ks driven with it in its highest setting of 6.
Only thing I would recommend is using at least 95 premium fuel.  As that is all I used & the occasional fill up with 98.   Being on the SR/N-Line Facebook forum, no one else has mentioned any dramas with it.

Another modification I would 100% recommend. Putting in Eibach Pro Kit lowered springs. It was the single most best thing I done. Looks better & rides much, much better as well.
The Racechip RS totally transforms the car. 100% if you are after a bit more pep.
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I hope you find the package you need and will let the forum know how you went.

Cheers.

@ Chuck.  Did you go ahead with a 'chip' and, if so, your thoughts, please.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal