Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
List so far,  here.
:link: TCR cars arrive in Australia  - Speedcafe

I'm surprised to see GRM and Kelly Racing running two different makes each. Surely that makes thing more complicated than just one. Parts and knowledge...  :crazy2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/171222_2018_wtcr_technical_regulations_draft_v01.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjIuaTuvY7iAhWLP48KHSh1B_EQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1xoeJvOqs7phyA0S5r8aWV&cshid=1557406851370

@CraigB This should link to the 2018 regs.
Thanks Tim, yeah the ECU's are sealed as you mentioned so no adjustments or piggyback setups there, any OEM intercooler can be used up to 8ltrs, looks like different turbos or impellers may be permitted (I'm not sure on that one :undecided: ) exhaust changes after the turbo are allowed with using regulated Catalytic and exhaust needs to be within the 110 dba at 6000rpm.

I contacted TCR and they said the regs are global so those 2018 regs i put up should be pretty dang close to what we will see.

One extra thing.
Subaru is involved.
Yet they are 4WD.

The Subaru's entered in TCR are using a 6-speed frontwheel drive gearbox with an inline 4 transverse mounted engine. Not very Subaru at all.
Also strange that the regulations state ctankshaft can be moved only 20mm from original orientation. They've turned the damn thing 90*
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The Subaru's entered in TCR are using a 6-speed frontwheel drive gearbox with an inline 4 transverse mounted engine. Not very Subaru at all.
Also strange that the regulations state ctankshaft can be moved only 20mm from original orientation. They've turned the damn thing 90*
How the hell do they get away with that :disapp:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
How the hell do they get away with that :disapp:

I was disapointed when i read that. I thought TCR was meant to be a more back to basics series.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
Awesome .. I posted a question on their Youtube account asking if the races will be uploaded after the broadcast occurs in case people miss it live.. Hopefully they respond.

I'll be attempting to record it on the PVR so hopefully I'll be able to share it later if anyone were interested.
  • 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line Premium - 1.6lt T - DCT - Fluidic Metal

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Awesome .. I posted a question on their Youtube account asking if the races will be uploaded after the broadcast occurs in case people miss it live.. Hopefully they respond.

I'll be attempting to record it on the PVR so hopefully I'll be able to share it later if anyone were interested.

Send them a message via Facebook. They were very responsive to to my questions.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Shouldn't be any trouble recording off SBS.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Three of the top four fastest practice times in first session belong to the three i30s in the field.
Third place is a Civic Type R

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:45:04 by Surferdude »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Awesome!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Not sure if this has been linked yet but this is a live stream of the whole meeting from (I think), 10.30am tomorrow.

:link: Shannons Nationals TV ? Shannons Nationals

Offline pug20g

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
One extra thing.
Subaru is involved.
Yet they are 4WD.

:eek: :eek: :scared: :scared: :faint: :faint:

I believe the cars are all limited to 350hp, FWD and sedan/hatch, sorry no wagons!

list to the cars here:
:link: TCR Cars - TCR Australia | Homologated Cars | TCR Series
  • 2014 Hyundai i30 GD Trophy CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
One extra thing.
Subaru is involved.
Yet they are 4WD.

:eek: :eek: :scared: :scared: :faint: :faint:

I believe the cars are all limited to 350hp, FWD and sedan/hatch, sorry no wagons!

list to the cars here:
:link: TCR Cars - TCR Australia | Homologated Cars | TCR Series
See reply #31 above resolutions the Subaru.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok so what is the feedback on yesterday's first race.

Unfortunately it turned out to be a bit of a procession.

Will Brown was giving it a good go but not too many other exciting highlights during the bits I saw.

I disappeared to the loo for 10 minutes mid race and wasn't stressing that I was missing much. Came back and nothing had changed.

I know it is early days, but I hope today's races are more closely faught or I am quite a few others will lose interest.

I have a short attention span these days as a result of my PD. (no not my car)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/171222_2018_wtcr_technical_regulations_draft_v01.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjIuaTuvY7iAhWLP48KHSh1B_EQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1xoeJvOqs7phyA0S5r8aWV&cshid=1557406851370

@CraigB This should link to the 2018 regs.
Thanks Tim, yeah the ECU's are sealed as you mentioned so no adjustments or piggyback setups there, any OEM intercooler can be used up to 8ltrs, looks like different turbos or impellers may be permitted (I'm not sure on that one :undecided: ) exhaust changes after the turbo are allowed with using regulated Catalytic and exhaust needs to be within the 110 dba at 6000rpm.

I contacted TCR and they said the regs are global so those 2018 regs i put up should be pretty dang close to what we will see.

One extra thing.
Subaru is involved.
Yet they are 4WD.

I'm skeptical, it may be written on the site as such , does not mean it's correct though. Every other would be transverse inline, easy for an author to assume or be trapped into thinking inline tranverse.
Does anybody know of an inline Subi motor? Even the Toyota shared  BRZ/GT86 is a boxer

The 1994cc sounds very EJ20.

If you look at WIKI which is always correct :lol: The International TCR mentions Subaru EJ20 H4

You would think it would be easy to find a press image of the layout bonnet up,  :faint:

This is 2015 but reportedly TCR , Top Run Motorsport Subaru in the build, looks very boxer.

Molly with her hood up

Boxer for me, I can see the red inlet runners and the traditional Subie yellow oil cap right where it should be on a boxer and even spot the alternator smack bang in th ecentre top area

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ok so what is the feedback on yesterday's first race.

Unfortunately it turned out to be a bit of a procession.

Will Brown was giving it a good go but not too many other exciting highlights during the bits I saw.

I disappeared to the loo for 10 minutes mid race and wasn't stressing that I was missing much. Came back and nothing had changed.

I know it is early days, but I hope today's races are more closely faught or I am quite a few others will lose interest.

I have a short attention span these days as a result of my PD. (no not my car)
Unfortunately , boring, and at 16 laps too short. I was hoping it would be much closer and some rubbing.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Before I get smashed, inline 4 cyl, talking current of 2lt capacity , not interested in historic examples like 2 , 3 cyl or even the EN series  :sweating: :sweating:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Race on, start is looking lively, cars out of position , Brighty bogs in down on the start :scared:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Race on, start is looking lively, cars out of position , Brighty bogs in down on the start :scared:

A bit better so far (getting spread out a bit though)  :spitty:  Will Brown will become the poster boy for Aussie TCR if he keeps it straight.  :goodjob:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

A bit better so far (getting spread out a bit though)  :spitty:  Will Brown will become the poster boy for Aussie TCR if he keeps it straight.  :goodjob:
Is the winner race #3 overall winner? 

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well, I enjoyed all three races although today's were better.

My take on it is this.

17 (Well, 16 yesterday) cars. If you get a grid of 25 a la Supercars, it'll be fine.

Perhaps more importantly, I reckon if those 17 drivers were in the a field made up of the current crop of Supercars,  the gaps would have been even bigger..

I also don't understand why  tw2005 thinks 16 laps is too short.  Any longer would only promote bigger gaps surely.?

And I don't have a problem with the Subaru configuration.  It's obviously accepted by the powers that be and other teams. Anything which involves an extra manufacturer without upsetting the competitive balance  is fine by me.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, definitely better today. The i30's did really well in the end!  :happydance: (The cream rises to the top)

Three i30N's out of the top 4 finishers in race 3. :victory:

For anyone who didn't watch (Spoiler alert)

(click to show/hide)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Well, I enjoyed all three races although today's were better.

My take on it is this.

17 (Well, 16 yesterday) cars. If you get a grid of 25 a la Supercars, it'll be fine.

Perhaps more importantly, I reckon if those 17 drivers were in the a field made up of the current crop of Supercars,  the gaps would have been even bigger..

I also don't understand why  tw2005 thinks 16 laps is too short.  Any longer would only promote bigger gaps surely.?

And I don't have a problem with the Subaru configuration.  It's obviously accepted by the powers that be and other teams. Anything which involves an extra manufacturer without upsetting the competitive balance  is fine by me.
I was just thinking a bit more tyre wear and opportunity for cars to come through depending on how well they were managed over the 3 races, just a thought. Slip in a safety car or 2 and and there's a chunk of racing gone pretty quickly.

I don't think there is a problem with Subaru, just the comments previous one saying 4wd, another saying  inline motor which is what the site says,  It's not as far as I can find out, 2ltr Turbo, FWD which is what this category  is meant to be  :question:

Offline pug20g

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
The TCR footage I've seen is  excellent.
My only concern is that, the British and European Touring car championships based on 2litre cars in the past were also excellent but didn't translate well to Australia.  The cars were the same but the racing suffered from poor numbers and a dearth of competitive cars.
Hopefully TCR will not go the same way.

:agreed:, I hope there is enough interest to keep the series alive and growing. Can still remember the 2L days where they used to attack corners 3 abreast! Maybe the only way to keep a new racing series alive is to race SUVs as their popularity doesn't seem to have a bound?
  • 2014 Hyundai i30 GD Trophy CRDi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The TCR footage I've seen is  excellent.
My only concern is that, the British and European Touring car championships based on 2litre cars in the past were also excellent but didn't translate well to Australia.  The cars were the same but the racing suffered from poor numbers and a dearth of competitive cars.
Hopefully TCR will not go the same way.

:agreed:, I hope there is enough interest to keep the series alive and growing. Can still remember the 2L days where they used to attack corners 3 abreast! Maybe the only way to keep a new racing series alive is to race SUVs as their popularity doesn't seem to have a bound?
They so that.
Think they're called Superutes.
It's terrible.

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
Agreed that races 2 and 3 were better .. They certainly look lively turning into corners with everything going through the front, as one would expect i suppose. It'll be good to see them find their feet and get a few more races under their belts to gauge crowd reactions and get more of a following too i think.

I'm planning to get to either the Round 2 at Phillip Island in June, or Round 6 at Sandown Raceway in September. Unfortunately I'm working the weekend of Round 5 at Winton Raceway.
  • 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line Premium - 1.6lt T - DCT - Fluidic Metal

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A field of 25 would make it better I reckon. Don't know if there are any more likely to enter in the near future?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal