i30 Owners Club

Windows 10 software condemned by Which?

eye30 · 58 · 7924

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just to clarify.  I didn't upgrade from W7. This is a completely new pc with a clean oe w10 install.
Which is why I queried the W7 Backup title.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Also, it's still offering me the anniversary update so that's not the answer.
The excess downloads are really just the repeated efforts to download the one big update after first set up I think. 
Hopefully,  as you say, it won't be an ongoing problem.
Any thoughts on the gmail issue,  anyone?

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

* W10 won't recognise my Lexmark X1195 printer scanner. Doesn't look like there's any options on the web either. Unfortunate because I use it as a scanner. But it WILL work on my old XP laptop. Just annoying.

Just read the new posts - so the following isn't really relevant...

I had an issue with a 4year old Samsung colour MFC laser when I went to Win10 (from Win8.1) - it saw the printer, but at the same reported it had an error with paper source.  Turned out it wasn't a problem with the printer it was the driver and the Win10 upgrade - I remember I had to uninstall the driver, restart and reinstall to get it working again.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeah. It recognizes the printer, but both Microsoft and Lexmark say they don't provide drivers for W10 and that model.
Can't even make it work in compatibility mode. :fum:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Is gmail set up through the Windows mail app? The Windows mail app will continually lose connection to the servers unless you're signing into the system at boot and remaining signed in with your Microsoft account as it's required for the Windows mail app to automatically pull/push new mail.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Is gmail set up through the Windows mail app? The Windows mail app will continually lose connection to the servers unless you're signing into the system at boot with your Microsoft account as it's required for the Windows mail app to automatically pull/push new mail.
Yes. Mail app says it has been correctly installed.  But then I get a message saying gmail details are out of date.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Is gmail set up through the Windows mail app? The Windows mail app will continually lose connection to the servers unless you're signing into the system at boot with your Microsoft account as it's required for the Windows mail app to automatically pull/push new mail.
Yes. Mail app says it has been correctly installed.  But then I get a message saying gmail details are out of date.
Yes but are you signing into the system at boot up? if you're not using a Microsoft account to sign in the server/timers will time out requiring you to manually search again.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Just to clarify.  I didn't upgrade from W7. This is a completely new pc with a clean oe w10 install.
Which is why I queried the W7 Backup title.
If you look at the control panel you'll see there is still Backup and Restore ( Windows 7) listed in there because that provides the image function.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yes but are you signing into the system at boot up? if you're not using a Microsoft account to sign in the server/timers will time out requiring you to manually search again.
Yes I am.
And my several other email accounts all work.   :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hmm! if the other ones are working then it's a gmail issue which I cant help with sorry as I've never used it  :confused:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Trev, do you have the same version mail app as mine?
I'll check tomorrow and get back to you.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Trev, do you have the same version mail app as mine?
Exactly the same, Craig.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
G Mail settings fixed

Found this weird suggestion and tried it.

Oddly enough, I fixed it by going to Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region > Date and Time > Internet Time and unchecking the sync with internet time option.  Once I did that, the problem sorted itself out straight away.

No idea what's causing the problem in the first place however, or why unchecking internet time sync seems to fix it.

So, after I did this I went back and clicked the "fix now" button (for about the 10th time). When you do this it asks you to "please re-enter your password for this account" Which whenever I've done it before, had no effect. This time it accepted the password and problem has gone away. I'm tempted to go back and resync with internet time to see what happens. Or NOT!

Weird.  :disapp:

I can't help but wonder what on earth possessed the guy to try that suggestion in red in the first place.  :Shocked:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Updated the wife's comp yesterday. Reverted back today. After the update lots of her games were missing. Tried to go into Microsoft store to re - download them, store would load and then promptly disappear. :disapp:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
G Mail settings fixed

Found this weird suggestion and tried it.

Oddly enough, I fixed it by going to Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region > Date and Time > Internet Time and unchecking the sync with internet time option.  Once I did that, the problem sorted itself out straight away.

No idea what's causing the problem in the first place however, or why unchecking internet time sync seems to fix it.

So, after I did this I went back and clicked the "fix now" button (for about the 10th time). When you do this it asks you to "please re-enter your password for this account" Which whenever I've done it before, had no effect. This time it accepted the password and problem has gone away. I'm tempted to go back and resync with internet time to see what happens. Or NOT!

Weird.  :disapp:

I can't help but wonder what on earth possessed the guy to try that suggestion in red in the first place.  :Shocked:
Very odd :confused: time must be out of sync somewhere between the mail app and Gmail server :undecided: At least it's working now :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just a few updates (did you see what I did there?  :P).

The update thing seems to be working OK. As Craig said, the size doesn't seem to be an ongoing problem (fingers crossed). My rollover date is only 5 days away and I've still got 2GB to play with.

The web cam problem has resolved itself. It now works. (must have been one of those pesky updates  :lol:)

As reported above, GMail is working fine, now.

"Edge" and "Mail" seem fine.

One day I might even find a way to run my Lexmark X1195.

So, really the only ongoing issue is the "Delete" option which doesn't give you a second chance. Does anyone else have this or is it just me?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So, really the only ongoing issue is the "Delete" option which doesn't give you a second chance. Does anyone else have this or is it just me?
"Delete" what are we talking about :confused: delete what from where?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Trevor says when he selects an item to delete he isn't get a confirmatory question ( e.g. "are you sure you want to delete" )

I will check my Win 10 machine shortly.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Exactly as Dazz says. Like a file or even a folder.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Older versions have a;ways had the editable setting to choose between using the recycle bin and not. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Mine deletes without a conformation question too, it's only put in the recycle bin so you can still restore it if you slipped up :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Apparently you can set it up in the recycle bin properties.  :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thought so :victory: :cool:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

* You have virtually no control over updates. They come regardless, pretty much every day. Which, when you have a 20GB download limit/ month, can be dangerous.
I discovered all this the hard way. A day or so after going live, a major download began.
There's also no advice when it happens.  You can check in the Settings and see it happening. Anyway, there was a problem with the download, several times it failed. Message said "installing" so I just kept hitting "Retry". Unfortunately it was downloading again each time.

This happened with my Windows 10 machine. It kept re-trying to upgrade by itself and each time was filling the C: with unsuccessful upgrades which kept accumulating. Eventually there was no more room on the C: and the computer went into shutdown.

It was beyond my ability to fix so the machine had to go to a technician...who could not rectify the problem.

Windows 10 had to be re-installed.

I thought that I disabled the automatic upgrades function.

Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Found this but i have no idea what the "services" app is. I'll have to investigate.
"  you don't want windows 10 to automatically install updates, open the Services desktop app. Scroll down until you come to the service: Windows update (Enables the detection, download and installation of updates for Windows and other programs.) Double click on it. From the new box select Start up type and change from Automatic to Disabled. Windows will no longer automatically install updates on you computer. When you want to install updates yourself, Go back to the windows update service and change the startup type back to automatic"

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks, Trev.

It asked me the time before and I accepted.

This time it just took liberties!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal