i30 Owners Club

Manual i30 diesel transmission thump...

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

• White I30 CW SX CRDI with Cruise
I've emailed ozsnowman for a hopeful rendezvous so I'll keep you all in touch.

If his CRDi does not have the issue, then I'll contact Hyundai direct and see what they say.

Thanks all for your interest.

Terry H

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Pip
Terry, try this: Let the clutch out before any revs are applied during an up-shift. The relatively small displacement has minimal engine braking and one does not need to get the revs going immediately in order to avoid a "slow-down" in progress.

As I said I can induce a thump, but by delaying the power for a few tens of milliseconds it is very smooth.

If a slight modification (i.e., without being rediculously gentle) does not eleviate the problem then you have something different to what I'm describing.

I will add that I have needed to modify my driving style quite a bit to accomodate the little diesel. (I have a love-hate relationship with the anti-stall :eek:)

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Sorry Lorian but I can't see how I can induce the behaviour in reverse when it only occurs between gear shifts upward... and I have only one reverse gear.

Terry H

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

If I get his spot on every time I change (perfect synchronicity.... a bit like changing gears without a clutch maybe?) then the problem does disappear.

But this requires concentrated driving and no traffic issues to contend with. I've never had to do this in any other car I've ever driven... just to prevent a thump and it just doesn't sound normal to my 40 odd years driving numerous vehicles... apart from the old ford laser which needed CV joints replaced.

Anyway I should know more in the next few days as ozsnowman is meeting up to compare both vehicles.

Terry H

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Sorry Lorian but I can't see how I can induce the behaviour in reverse when it only occurs between gear shifts upward... and I have only one reverse gear.

Terry H

So it doesn't happen when you let out the clutch quickly from a standstill in 1st gear?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Anyway I should know more in the next few days as ozsnowman is meeting up to compare both vehicles.

Terry H

This should give us a difinitive answer...(plus it will be good for you guys to meet as well) :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Terry H

So it doesn't happen when you let out the clutch quickly from a standstill in 1st gear?

No I don't think so.

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Terry H

This should give us a difinitive answer...(plus it will be good for you guys to meet as well) :D

Well Stew (ozsnowman) and I met up (thanks again Stew!) and took both vehicles for a drive. The "thumping" was similar if not the same in both cars.

Stew had not noticed it until I brought it to his attention... and when he sat in the back it was hard not to notice it.
I think this is more so because there is less engine noise in the back seat (where I often sit) and so the drive train is easier heard when not competing with the motor... not that the motor is noisy but that it is a competing sound which can mask it to some degree. But once you know the sound, it is quite easy to hear from the front as well.

Now I'm interested if any other forum members can hear what "we" can hear when sitting in the back of our i30CRDI manuals.

If this is a typical feature of the vehicles, then it is a little disappointing even if it is not a problem.

But the lack of damping for this noise... is it an indication of the drive-train/clutch set-up of these diesels?... or typical of front wheel drive vehicles generally?

Thanks all for your interest in sorting this. I can at least try harder to ignore this now knowing that it is not a "problem" noise... and I can go deaf in peace :razz:

Terry H

Pip
Terry, try this: Let the clutch out before any revs are applied during an up-shift. The relatively small displacement has minimal engine braking and one does not need to get the revs going immediately in order to avoid a "slow-down" in progress.

As I said I can induce a thump, but by delaying the power for a few tens of milliseconds it is very smooth.

Did you try this?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sort of a good result Terry and nice for Stew who up until now probably felt a bit isolated stuck up there in middle of Victoria all on his lonesome  :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
could it be as simple as the rear muffler banging on the floor during a gearchange.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Now I'm interested if any other forum members can hear what "we" can hear when sitting in the back of our i30CRDI manuals.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone to drive so I can sit in rear.

The thump you are hearing isn't the fuel moving in the tank which is under the rear seat?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

could it be as simple as the rear muffler banging on the floor during a gearchange.  :idea:

I only wish it was that simple so we could get it fixed.....

Terry H

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Unfortunately I don't have anyone to drive so I can sit in rear.

The thump you are hearing isn't the fuel moving in the tank which is under the rear seat?

It happens when the tank is totally full to the brim or almost empty and every place in between. The sound pitch does not vary... only the intensity   according to how hard one pushes thru the gears.

Terry H

Pip
Terry, you didn't reply to my earlier question even though I asked twice. :neutral:

However try this: drive along a flat road at 60kmh in 4th gear and without moving the right foot push in the clutch and allow the revs to rise 500 or so and then let the clutch out again. It will thump. I believe that this is what you hear. Is it?

If so, I reckon everyone else will hear the same thump if they try also. It's not really a problem and is simply alleviated by doing as I said while changing up; time the clutch to engage a moment before applying any accellerator to ensure the revs are not allowed to rise in excess of those required in the new gear. I'm not trying to give you a driving lesson, just a way to overcome your concern. 8)

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

Terry, you didn't reply to my earlier question even though I asked twice. :neutral:

However try this: drive along a flat road at 60kmh in 4th gear and without moving the right foot push in the clutch and allow the revs to rise 500 or so and then let the clutch out again. It will thump. I believe that this is what you hear. Is it?

If so, I reckon everyone else will hear the same thump if they try also. It's not really a problem and is simply alleviated by doing as I said while changing up; time the clutch to engage a moment before applying any accellerator to ensure the revs are not allowed to rise in excess of those required in the new gear. I'm not trying to give you a driving lesson, just a way to overcome your concern. 8)

Hi Pip
Sorry for the delay in replying. I can't get to the forum on a daily basis so if it seems I'm ignoring you, don't believe it!

I'll try out your suggestion as soon as I get some time in the car.
Yes if I have to adjust my driving style after so many years of not having this issue, then I hope I can relearn.

Thanks for your input.

Terry H

Offline terry hunter

• 2nd Gear

.... sorry Pip... just realized I missed your post of a while back about this.... :rolleyes:

Terry H

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hi Terry.  I've had a similar thumping experience since my clutch and slave cylinder was replaced recently.  Similar symptoms - noise from back, thumping dull thud when changing gear.  The noise from the rear has been getting louder recently.  I haven't got to the bottom of it either, amidst the multiple other issues I've had with the car.  If I get to the route of it, which hopefully I will, I'll let you know.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal