i30 Owners Club

possible faulty trip computer /fuel consumption

Offline poorpigi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
2010 Auto which now has 4000Ks driven sedatley, well most of the time. Got 740 Ks  on the first tank and then downhill from there. ( right after my first service at 1000K) Lost abour 40 k each tank full. Trip computer keeps indicating 7.4 / 7.3 l/per100k.
Filled it to the brim today and the trip comp. indicated a distance of 630 Ks to empty ( normally right from past tank fulls), keeps saying 7.4/7.3.
Worked out 630 ks is about 10l per 100k.
Should I be worried about the poor fuel comsumption at this early stage and has anyone else had proplems with the trip comp.
Other than this I love this car. I am starting to fell sorry for all the others out there who bought crapier cars that cost them more money.

Pip
2010 Auto which now has 4000Ks driven sedatley, well most of the time. Got 740 Ks  on the first tank and then downhill from there. ( right after my first service at 1000K) Lost abour 40 k each tank full. Trip computer keeps indicating 7.4 / 7.3 l/per100k.
Filled it to the brim today and the trip comp. indicated a distance of 630 Ks to empty ( normally right from past tank fulls), keeps saying 7.4/7.3.
Worked out 630 ks is about 10l per 100k.
Should I be worried about the poor fuel comsumption at this early stage and has anyone else had proplems with the trip comp.
Other than this I love this car. I am starting to fell sorry for all the others out there who bought crapier cars that cost them more money.

Let me set some expectations from the computer. It will most often be (very) wrong just after resetting and/or refilling.

For instance: The Kms to empty is little more than a guess that improves as the tank empties. When near to empty it is a fairly reliable indicator but will still be pessimistic; it will go further than indicated. Accepted as a reasonable approximation it is useful. Nothing more.

The l/100Km will also be way out just after resetting (you are doing that after each fill or at a logical interval such as at the start of a trip? Yes?) and will improve as the "trip" progresses. What you must understand is that all the trip readouts are an average since the trip began - the period since last reset. As an example, if the l/100Km is not reset, ever, it will indicate the average economy over the life of the car. Most people are more interested in a shorter period which gives an indication closer to what's happening "now". So they reset more often than never.

If you reset (display the result you are resetting and hold the button until it zeros) when you refill and compare the l/100Km from the trip computer with a calculation based on the Ks travelled and the fuel required to top up again (i.e., that used) it will be quite close.

Once you've got a reliable figure, let us know what it is.

I hope this helps and I apologise in advance if all this was already understood. :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great summary Pip (What he said...) :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline poorpigi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Thanks Pip.  Makes it a fair bit clearer.  Didn't realise you had to reset the l per 100 indicator so 7.4 was for the whole 4000 ks. I just reset the trip computer. Should read the manual but than again why start reading manuals this late in life..
Reset  it today and will compare it with a maunal calulation when I fill up next. Will let you know. Thanks

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
I reset mine after every fill up and so far mine has been improving with every tank. I have manually calculated each one to compare to the car display and it has actually indicated less than what I've calculated, for instance it says 5.8L/100km and I've calculated 6.1L/100km so I would only use the display as an estimate. I really want to get over 1000kms on a tank but I guess I'll just have to wait until my cars gets 'run in' more...or get a tuning box lol.

Offline poorpigi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Mutly I have an auto. Is yours auto or manual and what Ks. I would love to reach 700 at this stage.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Hi poorpigi, I have a manual with about 2600kms. My latest tank should reach a bit over 800km off about 46/47L. I'll let you know what I get when I fill up in a couple of days.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i've never had trouble reaching 1,000k even when new, city driving or country. but i fill my tank right up. also my sx does not have a trip computer, but it has a fuel refill warning light. it gets over 1,000k b4 the warning light comes on. but if u do trips to the shops every day might be different, i would normaly do plus 20k trips, also if you are stuck in traffic and not moving at all, an engine hourly time, like litre per hour of engine runing would be a more accurate way of checking fuel consumption.

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
Well I got 812kms off 47.32L which = 5.83L/100kms. How's that for estimating before ;) Slowly getting better with each tank. Car has 2960kms now.
Trip computer said 5.6L/100kms. Average speed of 44km/hr. Warning light came on when computer said 88kms to go. I filled up when it said about 60kms to go.

Offline Corky McBottle

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
As of my last fill-up I've made a rule for myself where I will refuel within 30km of the warning light coming on, which I think should work well for this car. I've kept records of every detail for each of my trips so far, and will continue to do so (distance travelled between fills, trip meter reading vs manual economy calculation etc). Having only had the car for a couple of months, I've only had to fill up 3 times so far! But the pattern appears to be that the trip computer is 0.2 or 0.3L/100km on the optimistic side of actual fuel usage.

Eg, my last trip I did 1204.8km off 57.3L, giving me a tad under 4.8L/100km. The trip meter claimed 4.6. Not too bad. For consistency I reset every meter at each fill-up, and fill the tank to the absolute brim each time. (Manual SLX diesel model.) I also noticed that the 'distance to empty' takes ages (maybe 300km or so) to settle down - started at ~700km, then down to ~500km after a few days, then at the end of the week back up to ~700km?!

I kept these sorts of records for both my previous cars (both Honda Jazzes) and their trip meters were always out by similar margins (over a long-term average). I used to fill up every Wednesday regardless of how much fuel was in the tank to take advantage of the low point in the fuel price cycle - I'm so glad I don't have to worry about that with diesel!

So anyway, my point was that the trip meter will probably never be spot on. Just use it as a guide.
  • 2007 i30 SLX Diesel manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks corky.. nice to see another one of your posts (always a good read) :D

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Mutley Productions
You used 57.3L Corky? Do some come with bigger tanks or did they reduce the size of the tanks in the new i30? Because my tank size is 53L.

Oh and my last tank was 5.5L/100km, computer said 5.4...

Offline blueridge

• 1st Gear

• tr Turkey
      TRNC
Hi All - new to the forum
Having read many of the issues shown on the forum - my thanks, you have answered a few queries i had.
Very pleased with my i30 (1.6 cdri) and at 4000+k  i was begining to wonder about the readings from the trip meter, but 7.4l/100 seems to be about right for the distance covered so far.
I will try resets at each fill up and note any differences

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You used 57.3L Corky? Do some come with bigger tanks or did they reduce the size of the tanks in the new i30? Because my tank size is 53L.

High Mutley.. There seems to be quite a bit of extra capacity (between the top of the tank and the filler cap) if you slowly fill the i30 to the brim.

Some members have squeezed almost 60 litres in if they have done 50+ kilometres in their diesel after the trip computer has stopped giving a distance to empty  :eek:

Best to only do this if you plan to drive some distance straight away or if you park on a steep slope or in a sunny area you might get some spilling back out...

By doing this we have had a couple of members reporting up to 1400kms before a refill (in the CRDi of course)  :mrgreen:

Offline Corky McBottle

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast

Not bad mate, yeah I (and others, as Dazz mentions) fill it pretty much to the tip of the spout. ~60L is probably the true maximum the tank holds.

Thanks corky.. nice to see another one of your posts (always a good read) :D
Cheers mate :) I do read around here quite a bit, don't always have something good to say tho!
  • 2007 i30 SLX Diesel manual

Offline Brew69

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide SA

• 2010 SLX CRD 1.6 Manual. <3 (continental silver)
I've done 3500 kms now.
I get a 715kms on the DTE when i fill. Usually after about 200kms the DTE will be showing 500kms or so. And then when i stop and restart it goes to 750kms. It is pretty accurate from here on. I'm getting close to the 1000kms around town. I wonder why it won't give me the 950kms on the DTE when i fill.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've done 3500 kms now.
I get a 715kms on the DTE when i fill. Usually after about 200kms the DTE will be showing 500kms or so. And then when i stop and restart it goes to 750kms. It is pretty accurate from here on. I'm getting close to the 1000kms around town. I wonder why it won't give me the 950kms on the DTE when i fill.

There are plenty of threads on here about DTE, BOB (OURi30) did a mapping of it over numerous fills and posted a table in late 2008 on here somewhere...

It is always conservative but does learn to be slightly more accurate over time...

Offline poorpigi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

:D :D     Thanks PIP  Took your advice and am happy to report that the further I travell the better the fuel comsumption.

Just travelled from Brisbane to Newcastle and got 950 Ks on the way down after filling up with 57 Litres of BP. Trip metre stated an basic 6 L per 100 Ks.

Just got back a few hours ago and on the way back I also has a 6 to 6.1 l per 100 Ks. Also filled up on PB and filled up at 918 K (did a bit of travelling down there) and again put 57 litres up to the brim.

Travelled both way at 100 to 115 ks basicly all highway travell.

Filled up with with Caltex Vortex and strait away the trip read 5.7 from the Gold Coast to Brisbane.

This happed once  before when I put some Caltex Vortex in, The trip went to 5.4 from 6.2 instantaly when I drove away. 7280 Ks on the clock now.  Very happy with over 900 ks every 57 Litres Can only get better. Going to try Caltex for a few tanks. Will report my finding after a 1000 ks...

Pip
:D :D     Thanks PIP  Took your advice and am happy to report that the further I travell the better the fuel comsumption.

..This happed once before when I put some Caltex Vortex in, The trip went to 5.4 from 6.2 instantaly when I drove away...

Consider this: If you reset the trip when the car is stopped and then don't drive away, the algorithm will calculate the consumption to be infinite and presumably display a large number as a guesstimate to prevent implosion from a divide by zero error. :-[

If you want (what might appear to be) a realistic number to be displayed you should reset the value only after you drive off from the servo. :wink:

I have to say, I didn't (and can't, no car) try this but I'm feeling lucky today.

Offline poorpigi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

PIP

Think I know  what you you mean.. When reset after filling it goes to the normal anything between 13 l per 100 to  my record of 27.8 l per 100 km.   After setling down I did notice a big difference between the BP and Caltex Vortex.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal