i30 Owners Club

anyone had this happen?

paul · 11 · 4122

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I went to town today to deliver something turned off the engine for about 2 mins,
when i re-started it,    it revved up, all by itself, foot not on the gas , to about 3000 rpm    wooooeee
anyone else had theirs do that ???
thought it wasnt going to stop !!!!!!

Pip
Which engine, Paul?

In any case, so many things are monitored by the ECU that I'd not be surprised by this at all... unless it persisted.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Paul, i have a diesel & so far that has not happened to me, i never touch the throtle when i'm starting. the i30's are fly by wire throtle.
like pip said is it Diesel or Petrol?

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I went to town today to deliver something turned off the engine for about 2 mins,
when i re-started it,    it revved up, all by itself, foot not on the gas , to about 3000 rpm    wooooeee

When I get my car out of the garage it often revs a little without any pressure on the gas pedal, I have always assumed that I may have placed some pressure on the steering wheel, this way or that, and that the engine is responding to that.  This assumption is based upon me having absolutely no mechanical knowledge whatsoever, so do feel free to ignore it  :-[

Asa

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Which engine, Paul?

Paul has a 2011 1.6 crdi
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd say, get it checked out. 3000rpm is high for a diesel, from zero
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Defintely not right, not experienced anything like that  :'( need to get that looked at soon. If they can't spot anything wrong then replacing the throttle position sensor would be the minimum I'd expect them to do.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
It's not happened again since, but i will mention it to the garage,
my mate said it could be something to do with the emissions,
when something gets clogged with carbon/soot it might burn it off automatically  ??
i also get a slight missfire when cold, only when i ease off the throttle and it is not pulling or holding back.  i will also mention this.

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
Yes it has happened to me once, engine rev'd up while I was at traffic circle for about 2 seconds and then came down again. My foot wasnt on the pedal. I had only been driving for about one minute when it happened. Possibly the ECU got confused temporarily? I have the i30 2011 diesel estate

Offline marvy

• 2nd Gear

Hi Paul, Be carefull with this. Diesels can "run away" when there is any additional fuel in the engine. This can come from just ordinary engine oil. ie. the engine can run just fine on the sump oil if it finds it's way into the engine. This could have happened from a leak in the turbo for example. If it happens again, for no apparently reason I would be getting it checked.

Do a search on youtube for diesel runaway -

Tony

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Might be a glitch in the current ECU programing because only seems to have happened on the current model (can't recall it ever been mentioned by long term members)  :cool:

Would be good if any that have had it happen could mention it to their dealer and suggest they give some feedback to Hyundai..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal