i30 Owners Club

Car servicing

Raid · 23 · 6609

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
My car is booked for the 23rd of sept for the first servicing and yesterday I checked the oil and its black and the car done 14,445 miles should I carry on driving with the same oil or is it best to change it even tho my first service is book for next month plz?
  • I30 active 1.4 petrol 2013

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My car is booked for the 23rd of sept for the first servicing and yesterday I checked the oil and its black and the car done 14,445 miles should I carry on driving with the same oil or is it best to change it even tho my first service is book for next month plz?

The service interval for my Feb 2013 Venga 3 1.6 petrol is at 12500 mile/12 month intervals. This applies to both the manual and auto versions.

The handbook shows 12500 at 12 months, 25000 at 24 months etc.

However - if you get your car serviced say a month early - the next service (time-wise) must be no more than 12 months or 12,500 miles from the date and mileage of the previous service - not the anniversary of the car.
Similarly - if you get your car serviced at 12 months and say 8000 miles - the next service (based on mileage) will be at 20500...

The fact that the oil is black is nothing to worry about. I guess by all the questions you have asked over the past couple of weeks you have never owned a car before.

So how come you are having your petrol car's first service at more than 14,445 miles. Your warranty will be jeopardised by going way beyond the prescribed frequency. Or is there something I have missed in your many previous questions.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Well I have owned a car before but never almost a new car and I just bought the car about 2 weeks ago and I think the previous owner didn't do any service on it so I'm a bit more worry about it as it is a new car and don't want anything to go wrong with it

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I guess you have good reason to worry - especially if the car is not very old and may not have a warranty because the service schedule has not been complied with.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
According to Hyundai the warranty is still the same and the The booklet says the car needs servicing 2 years or 20,000 miles and none of those is reach yet so can't see why it may not have warranty on the car and I bought it from dealer about 2 weeks ago

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
According to Hyundai the warranty is still the same and the The booklet says the car needs servicing 2 years or 20,000 miles and none of those is reach yet so can't see why it may not have warranty on the car and I bought it from dealer about 2 weeks ago
Different countries/regions and/or models have different service intervals (some optional - others mandatory) - so members tend to give the warning about non-service and warranty being void... esp. when talking about a newly brought used car where the don't know they history... as it can be used as an excuse to get out of the warranty.

I am guessing, in your case, the dealer was a Hyundai dealer selling it as a used Hyundai (with the, remainder of, the Hyundai 'new car'/factory warranty)? If that is the case, or else you have it from Hyundai (preferably in writing) that the warranty is still valid, it wouldn't matter what previous services (required or not) were, or were not, done.

Though I am slightly surprised, being that is is a used 'new-car' (e.g. low years and mileage), that they didn't give it a quick pre-delivery service... inc. changing the oil - being that would be one of the things the owner is recommended to check frequently.   I am not saying they have to (or anything like that) - just little things to make the car seem even better/impress the buyer... so they help generate return custom (and/or return to the dealer for servicing).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Different countries/regions and/or models have different service intervals (some optional - others mandatory) - so members tend to give the warning about non-service and warranty being void... esp. when talking about a newly brought used car where the don't know they history... as it can be used as an excuse to get out of the warranty.

I am guessing, in your case, the dealer was a Hyundai dealer selling it as a used Hyundai (with the, remainder of, the Hyundai 'new car'/factory warranty)? If that is the case, or else you have it from Hyundai (preferably in writing) that the warranty is still valid, it wouldn't matter what previous services (required or not) were, or were not, done.

Though I am slightly surprised, being that is is a used 'new-car' (e.g. low years and mileage), that they didn't give it a quick pre-delivery service... inc. changing the oil - being that would be one of the things the owner is recommended to check frequently.   I am not saying they have to (or anything like that) - just little things to make the car seem even better/impress the buyer... so they help generate return custom (and/or return to the dealer for servicing).
That's what I thought they would do a quick pre delivery service before giving it to me and as a used car bought it from the main dealer and under 2 years I didn't think of checking the oil before going away from the dealer but when I was putting screen wash in the bottle then I thought to myself that let me check the oil that's when I found out but yes been told that the warranty is still on the car and it was a promise approved used car from the main dealer.

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Spoken to them and they book me in for Wednesday at 3 to bring the car in to get the oil change but she will speak to her manager to see if they will charge me or not but that meant to be done before they gave me the car she told me they didn't change the oil so let's wait and see

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So is it still booked in for service 23 sept as well?

Is it the same garage?

If so, why can they not do service on wednesday?

Also, if you then get it serviced on 23 sept are they going to change the oil again or not and then charge you for oil as it will only be a month old plus it will be in their system as part of service job.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Manager just call me and told me that I can still drive on the same oil and as it is booked for sept 23rd just bring it up for us to top it up then have your normal service in September and they will do a discount for me fair enough.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Sounds like a sensible course of action.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Thanks for all your help guys

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Check whether the anti-perforation check has been done - this should be done at 12, 36 and 60 months from the date of first registration and should be stamped in the service book.

Hyundai's website (link) has further info. If it wasn't done at 12 months (not your fault), I'd ask if they can do it when they next see the vehicle.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      A wee town south of Glasgow
My car has done 12,500 miles and is just short of 12 months old.

As the optional service hadnt been done at 10k miles I was unclear if this would affect my warranty. Spoke with Hy Customer Service who said the service needs to be done every 12 months or 12500 miles. I didnt think this was correct.

Spoke with my local Hy dealer and was told my service isnt due till 20k miles or 24 months.

Disappointed with Hy Customer Service.
  • 2014, i30, 5 Door Hatch, 1.4 Active, Petrol, 6 Speed Manual, Silver

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Yes the 1 service is optional and the 20,000 or 24 month is the main one but Im going to ask them if I buy the recommended oil and filter if I can do my own optional one if that would have any effects on the warranty.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

The t&c's detailed in the book has to be followed re warranty conditions.

Because i'm sure hy will refer to these should you have a warranty claim.

I would expect each model and even different years of each  model have slight differences re warranry t&c's so Hy staff should check before telling customers.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Yes the 1 service is optional and the 20,000 or 24 month is the main one but Im going to ask them if I buy the recommended oil and filter if I can do my own optional one if that would have any effects on the warranty.
Have you not got it booked in for 23 sept?

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Have you not got it booked in for 23 sept?
Yep that's for the main one which is 20,000  eye30 but was thinking if I buy the recommended oil and filter if I can do the optional service on 30,000 then get the dealer to do the main one on 40,000

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I am finding the service intervals for Hyundai cars in the UK bewildering. It would appear that they are changed almost every year. This is compounded by the fact that the service intervals for KIA cars which have identical engines, transmissions, suspensions and floor pans differ.

To make matters even more confusing - if you buy a Hyundai 3 or 5 year service plan the service intervals don't seem to correspond with the service manuals for the cars - according to the info posted in this thread.

:link: Hyundai Car Servicing & Maintenance | Hyundai UK   :crazy1:

Offline Raid

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London

• Nobody is perfect.
Alanho when do you do your servicing is it every yer or every 2 years plz

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      A wee town south of Glasgow
Would agree that Hy seem to be in disarray over servicing.

When I spoke to Hy CS the other day I said their view was no where near what it says in my service book. They said I needed to send them an image of the book to ensure I had the correct one.

Shambolic!!
  • 2014, i30, 5 Door Hatch, 1.4 Active, Petrol, 6 Speed Manual, Silver

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Alanho when do you do your servicing is it every yer or every 2 years plz

I don't do my own servicing - I get it done by the main dealers.

Regarding service intervals plz read this thread  :wait: - I posted that information already.  :TutTut:

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
The dealership confirmed the 2 year interval in the service book and Hyundai UK (after saying it had a 1 year interval) advised I check on myHyundai which matched the dealership's opinion of 2 years. I've saved this for future reference in case they alter the servicing intervals again:

Although the anti-perforation check is included at the service intervals above, the anti-perforation terms suggests it needs to be carried out strictly based on the age of the vehicle. No comment about mileage:

User maintenance responsibilities and body services

"To ensure continued warranty validity, body inspections must be carried out by an authorised Hyundai Dealer at 12, 36 and 60 month intervals from the date of first registration of the vehicle. The inspections must be carried out within 30 days either side of these dates in order to maintain this warranty."
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal