i30 Owners Club

NEW 2012 I30 OR HYUNDAI ACCENT 2012 ????????????

DJHARRY73 · 15 · 16592

Offline DJHARRY73

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Margate

• My blue i30cw sport ;)
I stopped by my local Hyundai Dealer in Florida a couple days ago and I ran into the new 2012 Hyundai Accent I wonder if this will be the new 2012 i30 for European, Asian and Aussie markets?????????

Offline buddyforu

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, Australia
That's the Accent. It's also been launched locally within the last month.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The accent is slightly smaller and lower spec than the i30 (but very similar to look at)

The i30 and the Elantra are at roughly the same level .. with "on roads" added the top spec Accent is only a bit dearer than the bottom spec Elantra...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline DJHARRY73

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Margate

• My blue i30cw sport ;)
HYUNDAI IS JUST GOING CRAZY I JUST SAW THE i40 FOR UK MARKET, THEN VELOSTER COMMING UP ALSO FOR US MARKET , THE ACCENT 2012 5 DOOR LOOKS PRETTY MUCH LIKE AN i30 THEY ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL CARS THOUGH :), I GUESS EVER SINCE THEY HIRE THAT EX- AUDI CAR DESIGNER IT HAS BECOME ALL AWESOME LOOKING CARS

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hehe

This is the i40CW

this is the Elantra

and thse are the Accents:

More about Accent

But I don't know, which of these fronts are for which markets (EU, USA, AU, China..)

Offline DJHARRY73

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      Margate

• My blue i30cw sport ;)
For i30cw (or elantra touring in USA) owners the i40 looks quite appealing I wonder if it is consider a station wagon or SUV though?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I would think it is more of a station wagon.. as it is not as tall as any SUV's we have in Australia  :cool:

What does everyone else think?

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's a bit hard to tell from the pics, Dazz. It may well be similar to the Mazda CX7 in size.

BTW. I'm impressed with the new Accent Hatch now in Oz. Been looking at a few options for my Sister-in-Law who's due for a new car soon.
Anyone know where it's made?
I guess it'll be a bit exxy for a few months.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I would think it is more of a station wagon.. as it is not as tall as any SUV's we have in Australia  :cool:

estate.  :whistler: :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
i40(CW) is definitely a station wagon and not SUV.

It's actually quite "low" (car height) even for a station wagon. Look at next comparison (dimensions) between i40CW and i30CW:

i30CW (or Elantra touring):
(l) 4.5 m × (w) 1.78 m × (height) 1.520 / 1.565* m (* with roof rack)

i40(CW):
(l) 4.77 m × (w) 1.82 m × (height) 1.470 m

So that means the i40CW is even 5 cm (2 inches) lower than i30CW. And that's without roof racks!! With roof racks, it's almost 10 cm (4 inches). That's a HUUGE difference. Check out the video below, you'll see how low it looks next to the models. I hope you'll be able to see the car  :mrgreen:

And few more information about i40(CW), which I found when it was tested in Germany:

Engines:
1.) 1.7 CRDi (115 hp)
Torque: 260 Nm (@1.250-2.750 rpm)
Max speed: 190 km/h

2.) 1.7 CRDi (136 hp)
Torque: 325 Nm (@2.000-2.500 rpm)
Max speed: 198 km/h

3.) 1.6 petrol (135 hp)
Torque: 164 Nm (@4.850 rpm)
Max speed: 195 km/h

4.) 2.0 petrol (177 hp)
Torque: 208 Nm (@4.700 rpm)
Max speed: 210 km/h

OK, so.. What I find very interesting. First, when you look at engines (1.6, 1.7, etc..) they seem too weak. But when you check the data, it seems, they've done a good job tuning it for the best performance.

First engine, 1.7 CRDi with 115 hp, has remarkable torque. With that, I don't mean the amount of torque..I'm talking about the range. Look, the torque is 260 Nm, which is okay, but it's available already from 1.250 rpm and it keeps on "torque-ing" till late 2.750 rpm. I can't remember when was the last time, I saw a diesel that had all that torque from early low 1.250 rpm. Really. I think, that engine is really great to drive. It's not among the fastest, of course, but top speed is good (190km/h), I'm sure the acceleration (0-100) is at least also around 11-12 sec, the torque is also high enough (260Nm). And I think the fuel consumption is around 4,3 lit/100km. I would probably go for more powerful engine, but maybe this one could even be one of the most versatile. I would have to take a good test drive with it, before crossing it out of list.

Second engine, 1.7 CRDi with 136 hp sounds the right one for me. Top speed is good (198 km/h), I'm sure acceleration is under or at least around 10 sec and it "produces" 325 Nm of torque. But what I'm not that keen about is the range on which that torque is available. According to them, it's between 2.000 rpm and 2.500 rpm. That seems like it needs to be driven at higher rev's too keep up with the traffic (well if you want to have it ready for acceleration) and the fun stops (or at least starts to slow down) after 2.500.. I'm not sure about that. I'm hoping it was a typing mistake or something. Well maybe I'm just being too skeptical and it works just great. Previously written pushed aside, this engine still is my favorite (even though I haven't driven it yet).

Third, 1.6 lit with 135 hp. Not really sure about it. Top speed is great (195km/h), but I have hard time imagining a 1.6 (non turbo) petrol engine in car as big as i40. It's probably good, drives smoothly and it will probably be the cheapest... But.. We'll see.

Fourth, the 2.0 lit petrol engine with 177 hp. I think this should be fun. It will probably sound like a kitty, but go like a tiger. Okay, maybe I'm overreacting, but it will probably be a very serious competitor to cars like Honda Accord Tourer or Mazda 6 wagon. It has powerful engine, which Honda buyers usually buy (when you look at Honda Accord, the weakest one is 2.0 petrol engine with 156 hp). It looks very interesting and similar to those two cars and it probably drives very similar to them. And it's quite "exotic" for our market as it's not a VW, Audi, BMW, or some other brand like that.

If I had a chance (money), I would probably go for 1.7 CRDi (135 hp engine) or even consider the 2.0 petrol (177hp) one. No doubt about that. Regarding the fact I drive less lately, I would seriously consider the powerful petrol engine, but then again, the torque really feels great, especially when going uphill (remember the videos).

I'll copy this text to i40CW thread, so we could comment actual findings, after someone actually drives it .

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Another great post accim... I don't know what you are on accim but I want some ... :whistler: :lol: :lol:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Another great post accim... I don't know what you are on accim but I want some ... :whistler: :lol: :lol:

Hahaha, thanks  ;)

I just drank a lot of coffee an hour ago  :mrgreen: And got an update -> https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2403.new#new

And I really like the i40 (CW)  :eek:

Offline Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Definately a station wagon....... :goodjob:

See my couple of photos of the i40 I took at the Melbourne Motor Show

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Station Wagon.
I personally hate the term "SUV" as it isn't relevant to Australia.
"Sports Utility Vehicle" - no such thing here.
Just MHO  :neutral:  No offence meant to anyone.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal