DPF Regeneration Intervals

AlanHo · 76 · 33738

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Not in Oz.  :sweating:

It will come, once the Greenies get established & start dictating whats good & bad for the Oz planet...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Maybe in Australia they think "Hey, we're already living in a desert  under the OZone hole, so how could it get any worse when we continue to pollute the environment?"  :whistler:

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
This topic did freak me out!Yesterday after 128 km in town use only,I went to the gas station in order to fill it up so I can get  the picture of the consumption(It was full of fuel,I drove it for 128km and I went to fill it up again).Well it asked 12 Litters of diesel,which means the consumption was 9.3 lt/100km...WHYYYYYYYYYYY :mad:
Is it cause of that story of the DPF which I dont know what does it do?
I bought the diesel version in order to be in economy mode :confused:

For the story the ODO says 183km so far...
Is it cause its new yet?

I30 2012 1.4 diesel 90hp
  • i30 mkII

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
This topic did freak me out!Yesterday after 128 km in town use only,I went to the gas station in order to fill it up so I can get  the picture of the consumption(It was full of fuel,I drove it for 128km and I went to fill it up again).Well it asked 12 Litters of diesel,which means the consumption was 9.3 lt/100km...WHYYYYYYYYYYY :mad:

Is it cause its new yet?

I30 2012 1.4 diesel 90hp

Too early to judge yet Nickoss ... You have to look at your average over 1000's of kilometres to get the true overall picture.

Did you do the original fill? Was it full to the brim?? Did you refill it at the same pump to the same level? Does the 183kms include the delivery Kilometres? (get the idea)  :winker:

Don't stress, a 1.4 Diesel will be economical in the long run, I'm sure!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Maybe in Australia they think "Hey, we're already living in a desert  under the OZone hole, so how could it get any worse when we continue to pollute the environment?"  :whistler:

maybe if your in the middle of australia, but with a population a fraction of GB &  a country the same size as north America i don't think it would make a difference.
a few years back an American serviceman was joking he had been living in GB he said you can fit England five times into the state of Texas, i said & you can fit texas five times into the state of Western Australia he almost died. also the population of Texas is the same as the population of the whole of Australia.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Is it cause its new yet?

I30 2012 1.4 diesel 90hp

Niko give it time, my 2011 1.6 turbo diesel manual now has 31,000k & just had the service put new fuel filter & motor freed up more i've been driving normal in sydney traffic and trip pc just sits @ 5.2L/100K

a friends son who is a family man just got an 8 seater Ford Territory Turbo Petrol 6 speed auto 6 cylinder motor & he runs on 98 BP that costs about $1.55 per Lt i asked to see trip pc average read out, the car has 70,0000 up the average reading on trip pc was 31L/100k he did not care.

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece

Niko give it time, my 2011 1.6 turbo diesel manual now has 31,000k & just had the service put new fuel filter & motor freed up more i've been driving normal in sydney traffic and trip pc just sits @ 5.2L/100K

a friends son who is a family man just got an 8 seater Ford Territory Turbo Petrol 6 speed auto 6 cylinder motor & he runs on 98 BP that costs about $1.55 per Lt i asked to see trip pc average read out, the car has 70,0000 up the average reading on trip pc was 31L/100k he did not care.

Thank you Lakes but my trip pc also was displaying a value of avg 7,5 Lt/100k but the car asked 9,3 Lt for 100km from the same pump same gas station!
The car was delivered to me with the odo displaying 9km,the rest 174 are mine
and an empty tank.
I was the first who filled it up to the brim.So,brim to brim it asked me 9,3 as the pump said
  • i30 mkII

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The bottom line Nickoss is that it will improve and you need to look at the results over a much longer period (several tank fulls) to get a true indication.  :winker:

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
What kind of dpf the new i30 uses?Is it active or passive?
How the specific's car dpf works?
Should I be in alert for something?with the petrol(previous cars I've owned) had no worries etc.Should I be now?
The active one uses an extra injector which injects fuel direct to dpf in order to ''burn'' the ''dirt"
How do we know when a clean process takes place?I drive only in the city,so not a lot kms per month or year.
If it is up to me,how should I know when a clean process should be performed?Or is it an automated procedure that is beyond driver's realization?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 22:36:22 by Nickoss »
  • i30 mkII

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

What kind of dpf the new i30 uses?Is it energetic or pathetic?
Should I be in alert for something?with the petrol(previous cars I've owned) had no worries etc.Should I be now?

Active or Passive*

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece

Active or Passive*
Sorry for my English :-[
  • i30 mkII

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The DPF is regenerated by extra fuel being injected into the engine cylinders just before they reach the end of the firing stroke. Hence the extra fuel does not have time to burn in the cylinder (and generate more power) but burns as it passes through the turbo and into the DPF which is bolted to the turbo. This raies the DPF temperature to around 600°C and burns off the carbon deposits in the filter.

Modern diesel cars fitted with DPF's are not really suitable for regular city driving - they are intended for those who regularly do long journeys.  My experience is that if I do mainly city driving - and I live in an area where I rarely meet any stop-go traffic - the DPF regenerates after about 155 miles (250 km). When the car is used mainly on fast long runs on the motorway the DPF regenerates after about 375 miles (600 km).

See my earlier thread for a more detailed explanation

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=13595.msg149194#msg149194

Dealers should really advise prospective customers not to buy a diesel if their car is to be used mainly around town - mine did.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You have to wonder how taxi drivers get on with their motors. I use them quite a lot and they're invariably diesels.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

You have to wonder how taxi drivers get on with their motors. I use them quite a lot and they're invariably diesels.

In our area the diesel taxis are mainly Peugots, Toyotas and Mercedes more than 3 or 4 years old which do not have DPF's. The diesel black cabs in our area are all so old DPF's hadn't even been invented when they were built.

The last cab I used here was to go to the airport a month ago and it was a 2 year old petrol Peugot. I asked the driver why he didn't have a more economical diesel and he explained that "the maintenance costs are too high mate - in any event for town driving the petrol cars are nearly as economical". I asked him about DPF's but he didn't know what I was talking about - so we changed the subject to the weather.

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
According to the owner's manual the car regenerates the dpf by driving it for 20 minutes in 2000rpm!So it is passive.The passive way uses the increased temperature of the dpf(after specific rev run engine)in order to burn the particulates!The way you describe,is the active way   
   [The DPF is regenerated by extra fuel being injected into the engine cylinders just before they reach the end of the firing stroke. Hence the extra fuel does not have time to burn in the cylinder (and generate more power) but burns as it passes through the turbo and into the DPF]
Is a bit tricky because if the regenerate should not be able to be accomplished, some of the extra injected fuel may return back,finding the way to the oil pan.
After that they thought to install an extra injector Which injects any time it is needed,(not having the exhaust valves open)in the dpf for the regenerate procedure(no particulate back in this case)
That is what google says...Anyway do you realize when the regenerate takes place in your car?And how do you?
 My dealer mentioned nothing about the usage of a diesel.And I am sure he doesn't even know anything about it!
One more thing,I'm driving mostly in the city about 20 km per day,occasionally we do journeys!
Does that mean that the city consumption wont be 6Lt/100km as the manufacturer says?To be precise manufacturer says 5.3Lt/100km city.3.5Lt/100km motorway.4.1Lt/100km mixed
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:09:12 by Nickoss »
  • i30 mkII

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The only way I recognise that the DPF is probably regenerating is when :_

1. The trip recorder shows a sudden increase in fuel consumption which continues for 15 to 20 miles

2. When the car comes to a stop the engine keeps running and I get a message "The Auto-Stop feature is deactivated"

Whether the definition of regeneration is active or passive is of no interest to me - what I do know is that when I use the car just for short journeys with many cold starts the regen occurs more regularly - the shortest I have noticed being 200 kms. When I do fast long journeys the interval is longer - the longest I have noticed being 600 kms.

I did once do an experiment when I was using the car for a long period about town and only doing 5 to 30 miles per day. I used the gearbox to keep the revs above 2000 rpm all the time to see whether it would extend the DPF regen interval - it didn't make a jot of difference.

My car has now done nearly 9000 miles (14,500 km) and I am unable to get anywhere near the official fuel economy figures. Around town I probably average 45 mpg (6.3 l/100 km) and on a long motorway journey 62 mpg (4.55 l/100 km). What I do know for certain is that since I first bought the car it has averaged 54.81 mpg (5.15 l/100 km) overall.

You will find a thread on here I started before I bought the car when I carried out road tests, did a lot of research and published a comparison chart showing predicted ownership costs between the new i30 and other cars. In that chart you will see that I predicted an average fuel economy of 55 mpg - I am getting 54.8 mpg so really I have no grounds for complaint.

Offline Nickoss

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece

1. The trip recorder shows a sudden increase in fuel consumption which continues for 15 to 20 miles

2. When the car comes to a stop the engine keeps running and I get a message "The Auto-Stop feature is deactivated"

Whether the definition of regeneration is active or passive is of no interest to me - what I do know is that when I use the car just for short journeys with many cold starts the regen occurs more regularly - the shortest I have noticed being 200 kms. When I do fast long journeys the interval is longer - the longest I have noticed being 600 kms.

I did once do an experiment when I was using the car for a long period about town and only doing 5 to 30 miles per day. I used the gearbox to keep the revs above 2000 rpm all the time to see whether it would extend the DPF regen interval - it didn't make a jot of difference.

My car has now done nearly 9000 miles (14,500 km) and I am unable to get anywhere near the official fuel economy figures. Around town I probably average 45 mpg (6.3 l/100 km) and on a long motorway journey 62 mpg (4.55 l/100 km). What I do know for certain is that since I first bought the car it has averaged 54.81 mpg (5.15 l/100 km) overall.

You will find a thread on here I started before I bought the car when I carried out road tests, did a lot of research and published a comparison chart showing predicted ownership costs between the new i30 and other cars. In that chart you will see that I predicted an average fuel economy of 55 mpg - I am getting 54.8 mpg so really I have no grounds for complaint.

Thanks mate you were very informative
 :)
  • i30 mkII

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@Nickoss,

We have been told here that too much slow city driving will not enable the DPF to regenerate. If this happens, the engine light comes on and a manual cleaning has to be done at the dealer, which they charge for. I suggest that at least monthly, you take a country drive along a high speed road.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

@Nickoss,

We have been told here that too much slow city driving will not enable the DPF to regenerate. If this happens, the engine light comes on and a manual cleaning has to be done at the dealer, which they charge for. I suggest that at least monthly, you take a country drive along a high speed road.  :neutral:

That's a fair point but there are a couple of problems involved.

Firstly it will only work if the DPF is yelling to be regenerated at that time.
Second - it needs to be a run of at least 15 miles or 20 minutes - at high speed

It is conceivable that you could decide to do a long run and for the DPF to call for regeneration a short time later. I have been able to establish from my tests that just running the car at high speed for 15 to 20 milesdoes not regenerate the DPF - unless it coincides with when the regen cycle is initiated by the cpu and extra fuel is injected late in the firing stroke.

You are right to point out that the DPF will not regenerate at low engine load and low speeds. The extra fuel injected will fail to raise the temperature of the DPF to the required level.

It really is a most difficult problem if you don't do regular fast 20 to 30 mile journeys in order to increase the possibility of catching the regen cycle whilst you are doing it.

The lesson is - if you only use your car for regular short journeys - buy a petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes Alan, I should have mentioned that the driver has absolutely, no control over when the DPF regen will occur so under the scenario you described, what you say is quite correct.  :goodjob2:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Active or Passive*
Sorry for my English :-[

:-) Not a critiscism of any kind Nikos, just clarifying for anyone else who may pop into the forum wit helpful suggestions so they know the subject.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :goodjob2:
I love the attitude on this forum.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob2:
I love the attitude on this forum.  :)

:goodjob: I love the way people don't have attitude on this forum  :snigger:

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West

I came across this thread in a google search.  I bought my i30 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive last month thinking it would do close to the advertised 76.3mpg but unfortunately like your mpg figures I get around 46mpg in town and 52mpg on motorways..nowhere near that advertised figures.  I keep thinking that it would improve over time to let the engine run in since its only done 4000k miles but im not holding much hope.

My thoughts are that this car can never do anywhere near that figure, even in lab conditions I bet and that the figures have been inflated to make the car look economical.  I found out on the net that Hyundai and some other manufacturers have been found guilty in the US for advertising false mpg and Im wondering if its the same here in the UK except the UK hasnt made a fuss of it yet.  Apparently in the US, these car manufacturers are compensating the owners for the cost of the amount of fuel they could have saved if those advertised figures were true.

Still love the car though, just wish it really did do close to 76mpg advertised or at least 60mpg would be great :neutral:
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I very much doubt that Hyundai have over-stated the Europe test figures. It is a strictly controlled test carried out on a rolling road.

What all the manufacturers do is specially prepare the test car before submitting it to the test as I have detailed on this forum.

In addition - in the case of a diesel, the test will not include the period when the DPF is being regenerated - again I have posted on the forum the effect this has on my car overall.

I have almost achieved the government test figures on my car. One day I was cruising the M40 on a hot sunny day when there was no wind and no traffic. There was just me in the car, the boot was empty and the tyres were all at 38 psi. I was in 6th gear and travelling at a steady 60 mph on a dead flat section of road when I reset the economy trip to see what the car cruised at under near ideal conditions. Over a 6 miles length of the motorway the car average 73.1 mpg - I then met a slightly undulating section of road and this dropped to 62 mpg.

I have a friend with a 12 month old 1.6 diesel blue drive Golf who gets virtually the same economy as me - in fact his overall for the 12 month period is slightly worse at 53.2 mpg despite the fact that he is still working (I am retired) and his commute is 34 miles each way mainly on the M6 to Coventry.  He probably drives faster though.

Enjoy the car - you would have done no better buying another brand - after all - they are limited by the laws of physics.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
Here is an image showing the distribution of the (103) DPF regeneration intervals for my 2011 i30 CRDi. The majority of regens are around 700 km mark, while there are quite a few of them in the range below 230 km that are the result of the regeneration being interrupted (after the regen is interrupted, it is executed again after a shorter period of time). Even if it is interrupted in the last minute, the next regen starts after 200 km...

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I think I'll be hanging onto my mint condition FD model for as long as it will last.  :happydance:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I think I'll be hanging onto my mint condition FD model for as long as it will last.  :happydance:

But we don't get DPFs in the GD either.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

But we don't get DPFs in the GD either.  :)

Doesn't VW, Ford, Opel, Holden, Mazda, Toyota, or any brand have the DPF as standard in their model range, or is there a broad agreement between OZ car importers/manufactures that they don't offer DPF... :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Google says, the cost of DPF is from $300 to $5000 for OEM replacement. So in Oz, you couldn't compete on sale price if some brands had DPF and some didn't. (I'm glad they don't :D).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal