i30 Owners Club

Cut in the carpet???

Lachlan85 · 41 · 11100

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Taking my car in for service tomorrow so will certainly make a mention of this, but has anyone else noticed a big cut under the driver's seat like this?

(Image is sideways, sorry :-) )
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 Premium GD

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
As you can see, the cut looks like its revealing some sort of number underneath, but I can't imagine this is normal?

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
I haven't noticed one in mine. I would definitely be taking it to the dealer to get them to sort it out (although knowing the way some dealers like to get out of warranty work like this they'll most likely try to shift blame elsewhere).
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
What are those numbers? Could it be a "security copy" of your VIN? If so, I think it's a brilliant idea. A bit of velcro across the "tear" should disguise it.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Gee that carpet is even thinner than in the FD .. have to put that velcro on the back of course  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Gee that carpet is even thinner than in the FD .. have to put that velcro on the back of course  :goodjob:

Could be a good excuse to have it re-carpeted with some decent carpet, and while that's being done, put some more sound absorption/blocking materials in!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Could be a good excuse to have it re-carpeted with some decent carpet, and while that's being done, put some more sound absorption/blocking materials in!

:happydance: :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
There are no cuts in the carpet of my car.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Holy Cow Lachlan,that is not right,I have seen a few of the newer I30's(comparing them to what we have)I have never seen this in any of them and I have had a pretty good look through them,that actually looks like it has been torn.
I noticed you had floor mats,did they come with the car and if so was this one up one the mound(hiding the tear) when you picked the car up
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I know i30's are a cut above the rest... :whistler: but really... :confused:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I know i30's are a cut above the rest... :whistler: but really... :confused:
You've a sharp mind, Dazz.  :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Holy Cow Lachlan,that is not right,I have seen a few of the newer I30's(comparing them to what we have)I have never seen this in any of them and I have had a pretty good look through them,that actually looks like it has been torn.
I noticed you had floor mats,did they come with the car and if so was this one up one the mound(hiding the tear) when you picked the car up

The floor mates I bought off eBay after I bought the car. I've not taken a knife anywhere near the car. And it doesn't look accidental because it has CLEARLY been cut to view the numbers underneath.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
On the FD the VIN is located just under the passenger seat (right side) and the carpet needs to be open like that for the MOT guys to check the VIN.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Lachlan if you put some heavy duty gaffer tape under it (sticky side up) or even some velcro from the reject shop ($2 for 1.5 metres) again with the sticky side up you should be able to pinch the two sides together almost invisibly  :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I only has a quick glance at my carpets to check for any cuts - but from what I recollect they are moulded to the shape of the floor pan and are secured by the door frame trim and the seat mountings. It would not be a simple job to lift the carpet enough to get a clear shot at working on the underside. If it were me - I would carefully inject some silicon adhesive under the carpet through the slit - and press it down onto the floor pan. Perhaps this is what the garage will finish up doing.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is a good idea too Alan but would have to be careful that none came through the gap and spoiled the surface of the carpet  :sweating:

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Ok, so the number is the chassis number. The service guy told me that needs to be visible, and that's why the cut is there.

Shame they had to wreck the carpet though hey

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Not true, it may have been needed once off the ship to get the compliance plate issued, but it will never be used again, tell them you want it covered up, or better still, do it yourself properly with adhesive tape, from underneath.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Check out this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/48426-chassis-number-i10.html - they discuss the location of the chassis number here and discover its under the driver seat on an i10 or Getz. But they mention that you lift up a flap and then there's a hole in the carpet? I have no such flap.

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Can you provide context to the photo, i.e. is the cut in the front of the driver seat, or side?

I would also like to understand why the chassis number has to be visible? Isn't that what compliance plates are for? To me the service rep is telling a porky. I'm fairly positive that mine doesn't have a cut anywhere under the drivers side, as I've cleaned the carpets down there several times since owning mine, and I've not seen a cut, or evidence of repair.

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Can you provide context to the photo, i.e. is the cut in the front of the driver seat, or side?

I would also like to understand why the chassis number has to be visible? Isn't that what compliance plates are for? To me the service rep is telling a porky. I'm fairly positive that mine doesn't have a cut anywhere under the drivers side, as I've cleaned the carpets down there several times since owning mine, and I've not seen a cut, or evidence of repair.

The cut is underneath the FRONT of the drivers seat. You might need to push the seat all the way back. There is a raised section which is where the cut is. No idea if this is the same across all i30's, but I have the premium.

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Interesting, I must not have paid as close attention as I thought, as my car has it as well. Bizarrely enough I can't really see any numbers stamped into the metal, although they probably are there.

Looking closely at the 'tear' it looks as though the carpet is deliberately perforated along that spot to provide quick access to the number. Personally I think it is a pretty silly place to put the number.
I've never had a car that has the chassis number stamped in that location, it's usually been elsewhere on a compliance plate or some other part of the chassis.

I've seriously contemplated re-carpeting the car and putting in something like dyna-mat to reduce road noise, but that is an aside to this being in the carpet. The only thing really stopping me is having to take trim panels off and the possibility of introducing rattles etc as a result of removing the trim & re-attaching it.

At the end of the day though, this cut probably won't bother me too much, as I don't see it, although I could be eating those words later on in the life of the car.

*Edit* Looking at the electronic owners manual app (which appears to be the European/LHD version) shows the VIN as located in this position. It also describes it being etched into a plate in the windscreen/dashboard. There are other certification labels in other positions as well.
Kinda think it's a silly place to put it, but nothing much can do about it now.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:41:24 by plasticphyte »

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Interesting, I must not have paid as close attention as I thought, as my car has it as well.

Good to know I'm not the only one!

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'll have to go and check mine too.
I prefer the "uncut" look personally.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
looks like I'll be looking through Bruce and Cyril over the weekend see if the FD's are the same,like plasticphyte said why the hell would you put the chasis number there,why not like other cars,on a door column or under the bonnet,not somewhere which they know is going to be covered,very odd
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes.. all very Circumcised Circumspect  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Yes.. all very Circumcised Circumspect  :undecided:

We're talking girls here, in the main.
Well at least I am.
Both of my cars have been girls.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I need to take back what I said earlier - now I know that the target is under the seat (I thought it was in the foot well) I just slid my drivers seat back - sure enough there is a neat "flap" in the carpet under which is the chassis number. It is well out of sight and no problem.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
When we have our MOT performed, first thing they do is check if the VIN is the correct one for the reg. plate fitted to the car. Hence there must be a VIN stamped into the chassis somewhere. The compliance plate/sticker can be replaced without it being noticeable.

Some of the not so nice people out there, will steal your car and try to get away with changing identity of cars.. :disapp:

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal