Cut in the carpet???

Lachlan85 · 41 · 11098

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!

Some of the not so nice people out there, will steal your car and try to get away with changing identity of cars.. :disapp:

I don't have a problem with the VIN/Chassis number/whatever being stamped on the car. What I have a small problem with, is the location of where it is stamped. Sure compliance plates can be etched out or replaced, and stamping the number on the chassis makes sense, but why inside the car under the carpet? Why not in the engine bay firewall somewhere obscure but still easily reachable for inspections?

While having the cut isn't (for me) a terribly big deal (still annoyed about it though), it's just yet another area where Hyundai need to improve on their game. Things like this just make the car feel cheaper still.
My argument for this sort of thing is that if Hyundai are serious about picking up their game and building a better brand reputation, why do stupid things like this?

For those members here that happen to have other iXX makes and models, even Santa Fe's etc, I'd be interested to know if Hyundai have put the VIN in a similar location and as a result there is a cut in the carpet?
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My FD has a flap in the carpet under the driver's seat.  Lifting the flap reveals the number.

• SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Mine has a "flap" as well. My driver's seat is always as far back as it can go and I have to put my head down into the footwell, with a torch and sort of peer backwards under theslide lever to see it.
As far as I'm concerned it is perfectly OK there, out of sight and out of mind.
The only difference I can see with the original photo is, that one does look like a single cut or a slash. Mine is a clear flap. I'd go so far as to suggest it is machine cut. Pending advice from others, I wonder if the problem in th eoriginal pic is that for some reason the carpet supplied with the car didn't have the flap in it, so someone had to actually slice it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
On the GD, the VIN is visible through the lower portion of the windscreen on the passengers side (AU). I checking under the drivers seat I noticed a raised area at the rear under the seat where the carpet had been perforated so that if needed it could be lifted up. Whats under there I could not say as I did not look. According to the interwebz, the Getz also has the chassis number under the seat but I could see no evidence of this. The Getz compliance plate is in the back near the spare tire in case anyone was wondering. I suspect its a whacky Hyundai thing, adds a bit of character.

I'll check the other i30 tonight and see whats under the seat.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i noticed back in April 2009 when my car was brand new the carpet had a flap with the Vin# under it,also in the l/h bottom corner of the windscreen.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
i noticed back in April 2009 when my car was brand new the carpet had a flap with the Vin# under it,also in the l/h bottom corner of the windscreen.  :wink:
Yeah. Not sure what the purpose of the windscreen one is, other than to confirm the car has never had a windscreen replacement. I guess for the puprose of a quick validity check by the authorities. You'd only need to go  to the hidden one in the event of a serious query.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Yeah. Not sure what the purpose of the windscreen one is, other than to confirm the car has never had a windscreen replacement. I guess for the puprose of a quick validity check by the authorities. You'd only need to go  to the hidden one in the event of a serious query.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2005L03994/Download
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Surfer
you'd never know if the widscreen has been replaced,the VIN number in the windscreen always has tobe visable,tis law now with new cars
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Surfer
you'd never know if the widscreen has been replaced,the VIN number in the windscreen always has tobe visable,tis law now with new cars

:undecided:
OK. So how does the VIN number get put there if you buy a replacement screen through Windscreens O'Brien or someone like that?
I'm not questioning your facts, just physically how it happens.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The vin no is punched at time of manufacture and is part of the car body, not sure how it's fixed. It is assumed by most, that this is correct info & a quick way to identify the car when being delivered. It is easily visible & assumed that no one would remove the windscreen to change it, which is a possibility, but highly unlikely, that's why it's stamped on the vehicle floor too. Once the production barcodes are removed from the window, there's no other way to ID the vehicle. Probably used at service time too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
The VIN in the windscreen is actually behind the glass on a metal plate.  When the windscreen glass is replaced there is already a clear bit on the glass for the VIN to show through.  As others have stated, the VIN is stamped into the chassis (in my case, under my seat) and then attached to the plate under the windscreen.  There are less honest people out there that would remove a VIN plate from a car and put it on another (to hide a stolen / written off car from potential buyers).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal